Some help with CS Scripts?

I am making a game for Ell'rx's CS showcase. The "NPC Control" event action can't delete a Npc at certan coordinates, and that is some thing that makes my game development a lot harder. I may not be able to continue on because of it! :frown: I fooled around with a CS script in Text Edit, but was not able to accomplish anything. does anyone have any idea on how to get around this?

EDIT: I miss spelled "accomplish"

------------------

(This message has been edited by Yoggy (edited 12-19-2003).)

Welcome to the boards!

The NPC control will delete an NPC wherever that particular NPC is. In other words, the NPC can walk around and it doesn't matter. The control will delete the NPC. If you have the same NPC on the same map TWICE and you want to delete one particular NPC, you can't do that. What you CAN do, then, is to copy the NPC and give the copied NPC a different name. Then in the NPC control you can delete whever NPC you want. Hope this helps.

------------------
-- Debra
Danillitphil Productions
(url="http://"http://www.danillitphil.com/graphics/index.html")www.danillitphil.com(/url)

The whole "hey look its plain text inside!!!!" is a dead end and a joke. If you can't extend the engine you can't extend the files. Its not a scripting tool its a form processing app. There are no actual workarounds(actual modifications), only advanced structure, technique and ingenuity.

One alternative ( to physically creating another npc file, although the cost is somewhere around/below 700bytes...likely less when compiled ). The npc control gives you the option of dynamically placing npcs with an 'name', Think of the physical file name as a brand/species of npc. Such an event should be usually be placed in the initialization event of the location.

A later npc event should be able to reference that name, and distinguish which individual of the specific brand should be deleted.

As always conflicts with this may occur, and the surefire hardWired way is to create more files.

------------------

... ** Big O..ACTION!**

Oooo! Names! Like in stamp control! That would realy help, but I can't find where you enter the name in the dialog :frown:

------------------

Originally posted by Yoggy:
Oooo! Names! Like in stamp control! That would realy help, but I can't find where you enter the name in the dialog:frown:

You have to use the "NPC Control". Look at the 'Action' menu in the dialog. (I think it says 'Add' at the beginning) Change that to 'Delete' (Kill makes the NPC fade slowly away) Select the name (from the menu to the right of 'Action') of the NPC you want to vanish. Click the plus sign to add it to your actions lists below. Too easy huh?

------------------
-Albadar-
- - - - - - - - - -
Just trying...

Yoggy sez:
**Like in stamp control!

whoops...:: slips off chair, rolls down random flight of stairs, slides to a halt ::

hmm looks like i should actually look at cge more than an hour a month, seems i'm starting to blur together where everything is.

perhaps i'm in for another tumble, does the delete action delete the last npc of that type placed by the control? No? Yes?

well then, other ideas...

------------------

... ** Big O..ACTION!**

Originally posted by ellrx:
whoops...:: slips off chair, rolls down random flight of stairs, slides to a halt ::

hmm looks like i should actually look at cge more than an hour a month, seems i'm starting to blur together where everything is.

perhaps i'm in for another tumble, does the delete action delete the last npc of that type placed by the control? No? Yes?

well then, other ideas...(/B)

I hadn't considered that he may have many innkeepers in a screen (like monsters of the same type). I can't answer this yet. I'll have to check it out. Hmmm...
Okay, just did a trial. Here's what happened.

Delete Innkeeper deletes the last-placed innkeeper on the current map. If you have no globals to stop the delete, you can delete all of the innkeepers.
Bottom line yes, it only deletes the last NPC of that type.

------------------
-Albadar-
- - - - - - - - - -
Just trying...

Don't hurt yourself, ellrx!!!! You could break your neck that way. I, for one, would like for you to stick around. Your contributions far outweigh your bloopers. 🙂

------------------
-- Debra
Danillitphil Productions
(url="http://"http://www.danillitphil.com/graphics/index.html")www.danillitphil.com(/url)

Well thanks for the help everyone! I hope I can work around all my problems somehow, but for now i need to think some more.

I hope I am not forced to make every tree in my game a seprate NPC...

Edit: Whoah! The Ambrosia board is crashing or something! I have all the moderator options at the bottom of the page!! Wierd...

------------------

(This message has been edited by Yoggy (edited 12-19-2003).)

Oh that's right, tree chopping.

Use an invisible NPC that deletes the tree stamp on death.

the npc is represented by a white pict file, it stands directly in the same spot as the stamp.
the stamps can be placed with the stamp action and given a name.

you chop down the essence of the tree NPC, in its death event ic alls an npc control action that "kills"/fades out the stamp of the exact name you gave it in the initialization event that placed the tree stamp.

of course the npc is set to walk around initial location, with range of 0... 😉

ta da.

------------------

{ edit : Big O..ShowTime!

(This message has been edited by ellrx (edited 12-20-2003).)

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!! Ell' you rule!! i have been slaving over tree cuting for ages!! And finaly i come across some thing that works!! Yay yay yay! 😄

------------------