Icons

I noticed that when you save a coldstone game, that it comes up with that ugly white piece of paper, curled in the corner, and wondered if there was a way to insert your own icon automatically, also if there was a way you could change the extension from .sav to something like .foa.

------------------
Whose cruel idea was it to put an 'S' in lisp?

save file extensions...no.

------------------

... bwahhaaaaahaaaaaugh fooooolish sammurai.

Well, since it was done with PoG, there's clearly some way. It's equally clear, though, that it's not a feature of the Coldstone editor itself.

Some preliminary poking around suggests that, at least for the Carbon/OS X compile of the game, opening it up with ResEdit and fiddling around with the 'plst' and 'BNDL' resources would be a good place to start - compare the way those resources in a freshly compiled game differ from those in PoG.

------------------
'You can either be on the stage, just a performer, just going through the lines...or you can be outside it, and know how the script works, where the scenery hangs, and where the trapdoors are. Isn't that better?'
-- T. Pratchett

i doubt they fiddled with the Bndl resource, or poked around in the plist, or dropped it into a hex editor.
its likely that they changed all occurences of '.sav' to '.pog' in the source code.

the 'plist' has no information of use...path,sound, volume levels, fullscreen.

the 'bndl' however is blank, i performed a test in june, the file type for a save game is 'CSsg' (coldstone savegame), i created a brand spanking new icon etc, seeing as the MyGame app, was set to use the Bndl resource, it did not work...another apps icon appeared on the file, as it had hen the game created it. teh problem is that the creator type of the save file is BNOX...no app included with CGE has this creator type, nothing has this creator type so nothing will automatically brand it with its icon.

I changed the creator type to BNOX...still no results.
One such reason is that the resource fork of the save file is blank which would be ccommon of an application that exports files branded with its creator type and a vector graphic icon (resource 'icns')...it does not and i couldn't make it.

the extension however still, no.

to clarify,
as far as changing the actual extension yourself on a per file basis, sure. it won't mind.
as far as changing the icon on a per file basis, get info, click on the icon, copy paste, it won't mind.

but near as i can tell it was left open to do this, but it wasn't completed on both ends, just because its changed in the resources file doesn't mean the engine is prepared to accept it.

------------------

Hmm... well, the 'plst' resource in the game file contains strings for 'BNOX' as the creator code and 'CSsg' as the save file type - which I had hoped for as a potential method of fixing things - but changing them doesn't in any way affect the creator or type of the save games. Bummer. :frown:

------------------
'You can either be on the stage, just a performer, just going through the lines...or you can be outside it, and know how the script works, where the scenery hangs, and where the trapdoors are. Isn't that better?'
-- T. Pratchett

:: pats Glenn on the back ::

there there...there there

------------------

Originally posted by ellrx:
**I doubt they fiddled with the Bndl resource, or poked around in the plist, or dropped it into a hex editor.

I doubt they did this as well, seeing that they are the creators of the game. They probably had something going on at their end in which they could change the actual coding of the project. Maybe if one develops with them they would let you know about this....

------------------
-The ZeroWarrior