templates to use on creation

What is a template?

------------------
Thanks,
GrahamVH
graham@warcraftcentral.com
Coldstone Developer

(This message has been edited by GrahamVH (edited 05-18-2003).)

Originally posted by GrahamVH:
**What is a template?

Here's the real? opinion.

A template is a master (anything i.e. map, event,location,ect.) that you would use over and over to help you make the game/plug-in. You must have seen the ability in the coldstone game engine ( CGE) somewhere to ask this question, right?

------------------
Just trying...

Originally posted by Albadar:
**Here's the real? opinion.

A template is a master (anything i.e. map, event,location,ect.) that you would use over and over to help you make the game/plug-in. You must have seen the ability in the coldstone game engine ( CGE) somewhere to ask this question, right?

Yes, I saw it in the preferences menu and was wondering what it was for. How would I make a template?

------------------
Thanks,
GrahamVH
graham@warcraftcentral.com
Coldstone Developer

Originally posted by GrahamVH:
**How would I make a template?

When you have a file (NPC, item, etc) open, the File menu should contain the option "Save as Template". Do so, and give the new template a name. Then open up the Preferences, go to Templates, click on the appropriate file type in the list, and select your template from the pop-up menu at the bottom of the window. All new files of that type that you create will have the same settings as the template.

------------------
'You can either be on the stage, just a performer, just going through the lines...or you can be outside it, and know how the script works, where the scenery hangs, and where the trapdoors are. Isn't that better?'
-- T. Pratchett

Just a little warning.

Make sure of the info you put in the template. You can change it, but it's easier to get most of it 'entered' correctly the first time, rather than change alot of little things latter on..
(experience being the greatest teacher and all)

------------------
Just trying...

Originally posted by Albadar:
Make sure of the info you put in the template. You can change it, but it's easier to get most of it 'entered' correctly the first time, rather than change alot of little things latter on..

Can't you just make the needed changes and save a new template? That doesn't seem like it'd be that much trouble to me...

------------------
'You can either be on the stage, just a performer, just going through the lines...or you can be outside it, and know how the script works, where the scenery hangs, and where the trapdoors are. Isn't that better?'
-- T. Pratchett

Originally posted by Glenn:
**Can't you just make the needed changes and save a new template? That doesn't seem like it'd be that much trouble to me...

Yes, you can. But, the idea of a template is simple. Make only the templates you need to get the job done, not one for every one or two items, maps, NPCs, 'whatever', ect. It is designed to help you make MANY identical "whatevers' so you don't have enter the same old stuff into each NEW 'whatever'.

------------------
Just trying...