Price Haggling.....Font sizes

One of the things i would like to include is a option for the player to haggle with merchants to get them to lower their prices. Mainly the player would imput a price that they would like to pay and depending on the range of numbers the merchant would react differently. I'm not entirly sure that this is possible. Has anyone else tried this?

I had an idea on how to create larger fonts. (This might have been mentioned before) Using ClarisWorks create a new drawing document and create the background you want for the text. Then add the text at the size you desire. Take a picture of the screen, then in a photo program edit out what you don't want. Then save the file as a pict. In Coldstone instead of typing the text into the text display box, get it to display the picture instead.

Pedrith 🙂

------------------

Originally posted by Pedrith:
One of the things i would like to include is a option for the player to haggle with merchants to get them to lower their prices. Mainly the player would imput a price that they would like to pay and depending on the range of numbers the merchant would react differently. I'm not entirly sure that this is possible. Has anyone else tried this?

I haven't, but given that you can have shops that sell stuff at different price levels, you could probably rig something up along those lines. Alternatively, you could bypass the shops system altogether and use dialogs, ask entry events, and/or main locations to create your own shopping system.

I had an idea on how to create larger fonts. (This might have been mentioned before) Using ClarisWorks create a new drawing document and create the background you want for the text. Then add the text at the size you desire. Take a picture of the screen, then in a photo program edit out what you don't want. Then save the file as a pict. In Coldstone instead of typing the text into the text display box, get it to display the picture instead.

No reason you couldn't do this... although if you want the player to be able to respond to the dialog, you would have to either use small fonts for the player responses or (maybe) have the responses as part of the dialog image.

The downside is that this only solves the problem of font sizes in dialogs... what do you do about those in shops, inventory, the map interface, spellbook, etc?

------------------
I don't know what I'm talking about.
Oh no, here comes another learning experience.