Need Music?

I've been playing around with digital music construction for some time, and now I have enough ability to compose the soundtrack of a full game.
So I am looking for people who have a game in the making, and who require a soundtrack.
I will do any style of music, though I have had most experience in the field of fantasy music (semi-classical, medievil, etcetera.)
Interested?
Email me: metacrabby@yahoo.com.au

Samples are available. If you want to hear one, email me asking.

------------------
Poor little Johnny, of whom we'll see no more, for what he thought was H2O was H2SO4.

Hi- I've been around here for a short while composing myself. Glad to see another music writer here... perhaps we can co-collaborate on some music project sometime. I was able to find something to keep myself busy... got recruited into scoring the game 'Epitheisterra'.
Good luck- hope you find something yourself.

------------------
Error: Keyboard not responding. Press any key to continue.

Hey Nero I don't mind if you do the soundtrack of my RPG in progress. It's the first of three games. It's titled: "Raise of Agmar".

Wow GulJared you must be good to of gotten onto that project. I guess your to busy to help with the soundtrack of my game huh?

------------------
What stands before us
today is a meer foreshadow
of tommorow, fight hard or
die trying.

Originally posted by FF-fanatic:
**Wow GulJared you must be good to of gotten onto that project. I guess your to busy to help with the soundtrack of my game huh?

Oh no you don't, he's mine..... 😉

-Andiyar

------------------
"Any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again"

Originally posted by Tarnćlion Andiyarus:
**Oh no you don't, he's mine.....;)

-Andiyar

My first and foremost request (we can probably agree on this) is that Nero make a few tracks with feeling for everybody to share. My friends and I had the intention of doing something like that for 2D graphics, but we seldom finish what we start. To be honest, our lives are a constant cycle of booze and petty fun with such things as old videogame consoles and legos.

On a side note, if anybody would like to have the "character sprites" files separated, given white backgrounds, smoothed, and lowered to 72DPI, I could probably do that—I was planning on such for a project of mine.

(i)PS:
This isn't really something that I want to keep to myself, but if you could make some sort of short file that would be nice in the background to some heavenly where the player roams through a castle in a cloudy sky, that would be a major project-saver. n_n
------------------
(/bitterness)

(This message has been edited by Madman (edited 11-09-2002).)

Originally posted by Madman:
My first and foremost request (we can probably agree on this) is that Nero make a few tracks with feeling for everybody to share.

Check the add-ons page. Nero has uploaded quite a few files for everyone.

------------------
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
"Logic is futile"-Scott Adams

Originally posted by spitfire:
**Check the add-ons page. Nero has uploaded quite a few files for everyone.

Yes. And that is wonderful.

------------------
(/bitterness)

I actually made the ones on the addons page a long time ago. I would put all the music I make on the addons page, but I believe music works better if it was designed specifically for a game. I mean sure you might find the exactly right style song for your game on a public distribution place, but it isn't the same as having music that truly BELONGS to the game.
Or maybe I'm just rambling.

------------------
Poor little Johnny, of whom we'll see no more, for what he thought was H2O was H2SO4.

Originally posted by nero:
**I actually made the ones on the addons page a long time ago. I would put all the music I make on the addons page, but I believe music works better if it was designed specifically for a game. I mean sure you might find the exactly right style song for your game on a public distribution place, but it isn't the same as having music that truly BELONGS to the game.
Or maybe I'm just rambling.

Ah yes, I should have known that by now with all of the design classes I've taken. All graphics and sound are easier to make, and usually end up better in the end if they are designed with a spesific use in mind—especially when the designer has a lot of examples to go work with. One thing I plan on doing is making shockwave movies depicting certain scenes, as well as 11x17" printouts of certain photoshop files to save as inspiration. That is a very good practice when designing an RPG.

Also, it is good to go and look for CDs or MP3s of mood-setting music, and playing them when working. A friend of mine tried that and we found that he produced much better artwork when listening to such music. Of course, listening to such music makes it impossible to compose (I'm guessing) but my friends and I are all graphics people.

------------------

(This message has been edited by Madman (edited 11-10-2002).)

No Nero, you're not rambling. I entirely agree. Music is a very expressive thing- you don't want it expressing an idea sort of along the lines of what your game means. You want to make it as accurate as possible. The more of a picture the music portrays, the more atmosphere it adds. Atmosphere is a very important part of a game. Each game has its own trademark feel to it, so the music has to go along with that as well.
And yes Madman, it is near impossible to compose with music playing in the backround. That's why I usually don't listen to much music when I'm working on a piece... it's frustrating to write music with a song stuck in your head. It's also why I, along with others I'm assuming, find they come up with their most inspired pieces during nighttime... it's the quietest part of the day.

------------------

Originally posted by GulJared:
**No Nero, you're not rambling. I entirely agree. Music is a very expressive thing- you don't want it expressing an idea sort of along the lines of what your game means. You want to make it as accurate as possible. The more of a picture the music portrays, the more atmosphere it adds. Atmosphere is a very important part of a game. Each game has its own trademark feel to it, so the music has to go along with that as well.
And yes Madman, it is near impossible to compose with music playing in the backround. That's why I usually don't listen to much music when I'm working on a piece... it's frustrating to write music with a song stuck in your head. It's also why I, along with others I'm assuming, find they come up with their most inspired pieces during nighttime... it's the quietest part of the day.

I can't imagine composing with the radio playing. I do a lot of composing in the car; radio off, windows down., just humming and singing and trying stuff out. I usually work out several ideas for arranging before I even turn on the keyboards and modules. I do listen to stuff during the time I am actively composing, tho. When I was creating original material for "A Man for All Seasons" I listened to nothing but Early Music for six weeks. I had lute and sackbutt playing almost every waking moment, until the flow and feeling of the music was in my blood. Then I composed.

I've read a few books on music for films and my bias is to have materials from the game/film/play around so what you compose speaks directly to that creation. When I'm doing theater I generally can't put anything to tape until I've seen the actors move and heard the rythms of their voices. For a game, too, I'd like to see screen shots and character drawings and read the back-story. Hey, if it worked for Myst...! A friend of mine does this so well that he can play a theme one finger on the piano and you know which play it is for.

When the music is just right it is more than an added thing. It somehow can infuse all the other elements of the game, linking them together in a coherent whole, making the emotions and moods deeper and more complex, hinting at a history and a world beyond what is shown. Finding that particular color, whether you searched the stacks for it or composed it from scratch, is one of the true joys experienced by a sound designer.

Hey, anyone else get the impression that there are more composers on this board than there are games in development? 🙂

------------------
"I know the stranger's name."
Turandot

Originally posted by Commander Arashi:
**Hey, anyone else get the impression that there are more composers on this board than there are games in development?:)

Don't say that... you'll bring out the competitive nature in me. 😛

------------------

im just wonderin nero, what do you use to make the songs?? Im just wonderin

------------------
The Penguin strikes again.

An old Yamaha keyboard, a direct audio cable between the Yamaha and my imac. I record with Simplesound.
As you can see, my system is built low-budget, but it works a treat.

------------------

thx man

------------------
The Penguin strikes again.

Hi! I need

------------------
Whose cruel idea was it to put an 'S' in lisp?

Hi! I am making a Medievil game and would like to have you on my team. Mail me for any
specific needs like your own character. Please give me some sort of reply.

------------------
Whose cruel idea was it to put an 'S' in lisp?