Acces problem

I've been kinda lazy the past weeks, but I restarted on my game this week.
I'm doing a crypt tileset atm, wich requires a lot of narrow acces. My acces tiles are 16pix high and 32pix wide.
While I was trying out the tiles, I got very strange results. My character seemed to 'hop' into the walls (wich were, of course, non-accesible), walk trough them, etc.
It happened when the character had a 14pix colission radius, a 16pix radius and a 20 pix radius (incidentally, with the 20 pix radius i could still pass 16pix gaps..)

Posted Image

I didn't have these problems when I used rectangular instead of isometric walls, but they just looked less good.

Can anyone help me?

------------------

(This message has been edited by -LethaLGraphiX- (edited 09-01-2002).)

I didn't have these problems when I used rectangular instead of isometric walls, but they just looked less good.
Can anyone help me?
(/B)

Perhaps if you had a larger graphic border (white area)around your Hero. or offset him some in the animation editor. I notice in the area in your graphic,where he walks into the wall there is hardly a pixal width of access tile at the bottom of the wall. SO naturally it looks like he is insde the wall.

------------------

I tried chopping the bottom of the pillars, but it didn't help.
Neither did using a wider border.
I dunno. This looks like a bug to me, but I really can't use larger movement tiles.
Anybody else want to take a stab at this?

------------------

Your character's walking speed is key. As best I understand it, Coldstone moves the character in pixels based on his speed (= pixels per frame, right?) and then uses the character's pixel position to calculate his grid position. The reverse way (grid position -> pixel position) would seem more reasonable to me, but that's the way it works.

This means that if your character's speed is high enough, he may sometimes appear to be standing in a blocked square at times - that is, he's moved far enough in pixels that he's "halfway" between the unblocked square and the blocked one onscreen, but Coldstone considers him to be fully in the unblocked square. Although I haven't personally seen the extreme case of this, it might be possible for a fast enough character to actually pass right over a blocked square.

I had problems with this during a quick game I whipped up during an late beta, where a character, standing due north of a blocked square, could move 1 square west, 1 square south, and 1 square east and find himself (having moved a net distance of 1 square south) to now be due south of the same blocked square. Explain that?!

The solutions that I would suggest are to either a) make all blocked areas at least two squares thick (which will prevent the player from accidentally walking through a wall, but may still lead to him standing partially "in" the wall at times) or 🆒 always make sure the player's speed is some even fraction of your tile dimensions (that is, if your grid is 16x32, make sure the player's speed is 1, 2, 4, 8, or 16 at all times). Solution 🆒 is better as it will make sure that the character's always fully on a square after each move, but it does of course restrict your game system somewhat.

------------------
AKA Glennfield, Glenndella, Jynnan Tonnyx, Breva, and/or Bölverk.
我不说中文 🙂 (Can anyone read that?)
(url="http://"http://www.itswalky.com/d/20020123.html")"A monkey and a hot girl fighting - I can die happy now."(/url)

Speed is set to 4 😕
Setting the tile size to 168 enabled me to have two tiles thickness everywhere, but It didn't help.
So I set movement tiles back to 32
16. I mad eht walls twice as thick, so I had 2 tiles thickness.
It didn't help.
Since my animator never did any animations, I'm still stuck with one-frame animations. I doubled them and set a frame length.
It didnt help.
Set speed to 8,16,32,84.
Didn't help.

THEN

I set the movement tile size to 16*16.
Problem solved.

Probably worth putting in a FAQ somewhere.

------------------

Just to verify - you're saying that as far as you can tell, this bug was unfixable when using non-square movement tiles, but fixed easily when you switched to square ones? If so, that's definitely a bug and I'll be glad to report it. (Though Dee has been little-seen of late, he did promise that another Coldstone update would be forthcoming very soon after 1.0.1...)

Actually, thinking about this, it almost makes sense that this would be buggy. When you were working with the oblong movement tiles, how did the character move when you sent him "diagonally"? Did he move two pixels horizontally for each vertical pixel (as the grid would suggest) or move in a direct 45° line regardless? The former would be hard to implement properly, and the latter could quite plausibly cause some strange bugs...

------------------
AKA Glennfield, Glenndella, Jynnan Tonnyx, Breva, and/or Bölverk.
我不说中文 🙂 (Can anyone read that?)
(url="http://"http://www.itswalky.com/d/20020123.html")"A monkey and a hot girl fighting - I can die happy now."(/url)

The character moves in the normal 8-direction way as far as I can tell, regardless of the movement tile shape.

------------------

From Glenn

This means that if your character's speed is high enough, he may sometimes appear to be standing in a blocked square at times - that is, he's moved far enough in pixels that he's "halfway" between the unblocked square and the blocked one onscreen, but Coldstone considers him to be fully in the unblocked square. Although I haven't personally seen the extreme case of this, it might be possible for a fast enough character to actually pass right over a blocked square.

It is possible for a really fast character to pass over one or more blocked squares. When Coldstone first came out, I experimented a bit with what would happen at various speeds. I was even able to "jump" over the wider rivers.

Gallandro

~ nevermind

(This message has been edited by straytoaster (edited 09-04-2002).)