Could it be memory?

Well it still says "Cannot load dialog picture" And I've almost givin up all hope. :frown:
I have:

Made sure all pictures are PNG and are 72dpi

Made sure they end with .pct

Made sure everything was correct in the Layout tag in Game Options

Could it be because of Memory? Exactly how much should I have the game have??

------------------
Thank you.

OK, first off, there's a small/major problem inherent in your file. You have it as a PNG, I believe, with extension .pct? This is really quite bad. Coldstone is very dependant upon file formats and correct extensions. Your file can be either PNG or PICT, but must have the correct extension for the format. Take your file and change the extension to .png. (Alternatively, change it's file type to PICT and save it as .pct) Next, open the Game Options interface, and make sure that the correct picture is selected under 'load dialogue' in the 'Game Interface' tab.

Now, build your game and launch. It should work, as long as the picture is 16bit, 72dpi, PICT or PNG with the correct extension, and chosen correctly.

Incidentally, how much RAM is the game being given? Just for reference.

-Andiyar

------------------
"Any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again"

...wow i Never thought of the extension! I'll fix that...how do you check the ram? eheh... :redface:

------------------
Thank you.

Click on the application for your game, and hit command - i. There should be a field that says "General Information," click on that and pull it down to memory. The 'Minimum Memory' field is what really matters here. Give us 'suggested memory,' too.

------------------
"Then you do believe that we are real. You think us capable of not forgiving you. Who would forgive you more readily than your dream?"
"No," the Unbeliever said. "Dreams never forgive."
-Stephen Donaldson,
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever

My minimal and suggested sizes are 6163 k. Should I put that in the Game options?

------------------
Thank you.

(This message has been edited by SSJ6Gohan (edited 08-10-2002).)

Um...nevermind! I just did that, and IT WORKED! 😄 Now to get the main screen to show up...

------------------
Thank you.

I did everything here for my dialogue screen, but it still doesn't load! Whenever I enter in my memory (6163) it changes back to 5,000 some. I made sure of the extension, and the 72dpi, but what is 16bit????? HELP!

------------------
Be carefree like the
bunny; nibble on grass,
prance through fields.

Originally posted by PinkFluffyBunny:
I did everything here for my dialogue screen, but it still doesn't load! Whenever I enter in my memory (6163) it changes back to 5,000 some. I made sure of the extension, and the 72dpi, but what is 16bit? Help!

16-bit color is a certain color depth which is used for most games today. Monitors can only display certain colors, and then only if they have enough VRAM or a new enough monitor. 16-bit color displays around 30,000 colors (I think; I don't have my graphics book handy), which is plenty of colors while still being relatively fast. Coldstone will only take graphics that are set to 16-bit (which means that they'll show up properly on someone else's machine as long as they use at least 16-bit color), so if you want your pictures to load, you'll have to set your dialog graphic to 16 bits of color. There is usually an easy way to do this, but it is specific to your graphics program. Look in your program's manual for help on converting color depth.

Also, excessive use of any kind of punctuation is generally considered bad form in any ASW web board, but especially so here, where we come here to intelligently discuss Coldstone and are pretty intolerant of garbage (except on #coldstone. 😉 ). The way I edited your post in the quotation is the kind of post you should make from now on.

------------------
(url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/cafall/projects/tfm.html")The Four Mages(/url), an unfinished quest-oriented plug-in for Pillars of Garendall.
If passion rules reason, how can you allow only reason to rule you?
— Cafall

OK thanks. So, where do I change it to 16 bit? Do I have to have my comp set on it? Or is it an option in Adobe Photoshop? You see, I have the unregistered version, so I can't check in the manual or anything.

------------------
Be carefree like the
bunny; nibble on grass,
prance through fields.

Originally posted by Tarnćlion Andiyarus:
**It should work, as long as the picture is 16bit, 72dpi, PICT or PNG with the correct extension, and chosen correctly.

I thought Coldstone could handle 32-bit graphics - hence the choice between Thousands of Colors and True Colors in the Game Options...I remember there being trouble in the 1.0 release with selecting True Colors, but it was supposed to be fixed in 1.0.1. Am I mistaken?

Thanks!

------------------
(url="http://"http://jankostar.net")http://jankostar.net(/url)

(This message has been edited by sanko (edited 08-10-2002).)

ya, 32 bit should work, I have my title screen pict set to 32 bit and it works perfectly. Make sure that your dialouge pict IS a pict format and has the extension .pct (photoshop does this automatically, I think.)

------------------
I'm not laughing at you,
I'm laughing with you in
mind

Pict? No wonder...I have it set to PNG! Thanks! Hope you get karma for that one!

------------------
Be carefree like the
bunny; nibble on grass,
prance through fields.