How do you do coordinates?

The coordinates coldstone gives you are wrong. I mean, in the midieval one they had 35,84 for what it told me was 26,12. :mad: How do you work the coordinates?
Plus, the dialogue never loads! Help! :mad: :mad: :mad:

------------------
Be carefree like the
bunny; nibble on grass,
prance through fields.

I have no idea what you are talking about, and I don't think many others will feel differently. Please be a little more specific about your problem.

------------------
(url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/cafall/projects/tfm.html")The Four Mages(/url), an unfinished quest-oriented plug-in for Pillars of Garendall.
If passion rules reason, how can you allow only reason to rule you?
Ā— Cafall

I think Bunny means that the coordanites show up on a map, but ther'yre different in the events...?

------------------
Thank you.

Originally posted by SSJ6Gohan:
I think Bunny means that the coordanites show up on a map, but ther'yre different in the events...?

Mr. SSJ6Gohan,

Remember that there are 2 different sets of coordinates that Coldstone utilizes. It uses the player's coordinates and the map grid coordinates. Player coordinates are what you get if you use things such as NPC wizards and the Map Position Change event.

The map grid coordinates can be very large numbers and position images on the map. Be careful though because CGE places the images top left corner on the coordinate that you specify(I think.. might be bottom right...). This can put your placement off a bit and you may need to manually guess and check to adjust it properly.

If you are looking for something more indepth, please be a little more specific in your questioning.

Thanks.

------------------
"But soon, soon, soon... the world will be a better place, with meadows and bunnies and fiber optics in every home..."
- Tom Dowdy, Apple Computer

I'm assuming that you are referring to the map editor here? In the bottom 'information bar' esque area when you are creating a map, as Stark has stated, are listed several sets of coordinates. For use in Events, you have to alter/affect/use the Player Coordinates, and not the Map Cell coordinates.

-Andiyar

------------------
"Any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again"

Well, my problem specific can be shown in this example:
I want play to be teleported to say.....a living room when they step up to the house of a door. The coordinates the map gives me in the bottom right corner of the map editor are 26,16. The other is 8,4. I enter in the first one, but it appears in some random place of the map. I enter in the second one, and the same thing will happen. How do I find the player's coordinates, rather than the ones the map editor gives me? Another problem is that I can't get the dialogue box to load. :mad:

------------------
Be carefree like the
bunny; nibble on grass,
prance through fields.

Originally posted by PinkFluffyBunny:
Well, my problem specific can be shown in this example:
I want play to be teleported to say.....a living room when they step up to the house of a door. The coordinates the map gives me in the bottom right corner of the map editor are 26,16. The other is 8,4. I enter in the first one, but it appears in some random place of the map. I enter in the second one, and the same thing will happen. How do I find the player's coordinates, rather than the ones the map editor gives me? Another problem is that I can't get the dialogue box to load. :mad:

Ms. PinkFluffyBunny,

If I read your explanation correctly, you are trying to send a player to a new map with a new set of coordinates upon stepping on a certain spot of the current map. If this is correct then what you want to do is fairly simple:

1. Make sure both maps are correctly created.
  2. Make an event. For examples sake, we'll call it "send player to living room.cet" Within this event you want 2 objects: a "map position change" function which you will enter in the player position coordinates that you want the player to end up in on the living room map. So, in this example you would send the player to coordinates (8,4). The 2nd object you want in this event is a "teleport" function, and you will specify your living room map. What this does is move the player to the preset coordinates, and then teleports the player to your map. When a player teleports they retain their current coordinates which might explain your "randomness."
  3. Go into your map editor and open up your map that has the door that you want the player to step up to. Locate the squares that you want the player to step on which will send him into the living room, and place an event there(on the layers buttons you have one marked "Events." Click on that one and then click on the square you want to place an event and then select the event you want placed).
  4. Save your map changes, compile your game, and start it up. Your event should now work fine.

One last item of note, when you are looking up player coordinates make sure you are looking at the Tile coordinates which represent the movement grid. The ground tiles can be of a different size than your movement grids(PoG for example uses a 32x32 movement grid, with a 96x96 ground tile grid), so those numbers may not jive real well. And the pixel grid reflects pixels and is used in placing stamps, not characters. So grab the Tile coordinates and plug those into the "Map Position Change" function in your above event.

Lastly, if you still can not find the correct coordinates, make sure you have the debug info loading and then start your game, go to your living room map, and walk around until you get to the place where you want the player to appear after being teleported to that map. Hit the "d" key, which is the debug info, and it will tell you what the player's current coordinates are. Write them down and plug them into the event and you'll be set.

Let us know if you have further questions or problems.

Good luck.

(edit) Added debug info (/edit)
------------------
"But soon, soon, soon... the world will be a better place, with meadows and bunnies and fiber optics in every home..."
- Tom Dowdy, Apple Computer

(This message has been edited by Stark Bledfast (edited 08-09-2002).)

Thanks! I'll try that.

------------------
Be carefree like the
bunny; nibble on grass,
prance through fields.

Stark Bledfast, I believe you deserve more Karma for that one šŸ˜„

------------------
Be carefree like the
bunny; nibble on grass,
prance through fields.