Nice intro, shame my map doesn't load!

after the intro and splash screen comes up on my game, and the user clicks "new game" and the name dialog appears... followed by the loading dialog... my game quits automatically before loading the map :frown: anyone know why? I've tried the following:
- making sure all the tiles (that's the only images i have at the moment) are 16bit pct, not 32 bit
- making dure all my character animation frames are 16 bit pct
- changing all the pct files to png (this resulted in a static full black screen, rather thanthe game cutting out completely... progress, i thought!)
any suggestions would greatly appreciated, thanx
Migraine

------------------

Im REALLY NOT sure, i could be absolotely wrong, but, maybe, your memory on your computer is to low, or you dont have enough space on your computer. Check. Oh yeah, If Im wrong, sorry. Nothing will happen if Im wrong, though.Hope I helped!

Yeah, actually, Im almost positive this is right. My computer sometimes says, "this map will take a lot of memory" did it say that when the map was created? Hope I helped.

Thanks for the advice,
i checked the memory on the game options menu and im using 16000k, but even doubling that has no effect... I don't get the error message you mentioned either as my maps are designed to be one screen only (ie no scrolling). Thanks anyway 🙂 i'll keep thinking!

------------------

Originally posted by Migraine:
Thanks for the advice,
i checked the memory on the game options menu and im using 16000k, but even doubling that has no effect... I don't get the error message you mentioned either as my maps are designed to be one screen only (ie no scrolling). Thanks anyway 🙂 i'll keep thinking!

Mr. Migraine,

You said you made sure your graphics were 16-bit, but did you check to be sure that they are 72dpi? If they are then they won't display(or at least, not properly).

When your game quits does it display an error message? Also, did you link correctly to the map? Ie, does Coldstone "know" to display your map, or does the player click on new game and then the engine not know where to go so it just quits?

------------------
"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea --
massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a
source of mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect
it." -- Gene Spafford, 1992

Originally posted by Migraine:
making sure all the tiles (that's the only images i have at the moment) are 16bit pct, not 32 bit

Did you set up any layers whatsoever? If not, than that is your problem: you must create a new layer (even if you don't put anything on it) so that the player layer is created. If you don't than your game will crash every time the map is loaded.

------------------

Does your map use the map interface? If so, is the interface defined properly? Is the map interface mask also a 16-bit file? (It might seem like it should be a 1-bit file, but Coldstoe requires that it be 16-bit for some reason).

------------------
Who are the people most opposed to escapism? Jailors! - C.S. Lewis
Only member of the webboard to gain 2 karma points by writing a flame, and openly atychiphobic since 2000.

This happened to me before, only not for the startup, you go to a map that you clearly made and everything's fine, and it just quits. It's actually really simple. Make sure your map and location are named EXACTLY the same. Thats all. (if it IS the answer, not some graphics problems). That's all i can think of right now, there might be another reason, im thinking there could be, but i cant think of it right now.

------------------
I'm not laughing at you,
I'm laughing with you in
mind

hi all, sorry for bringing this up again, but after giving up and getting temporarily re-addicted to diablo 2 i thought i'd give coldstone another go...

My game still cuts out just before the first map loads... i've decided that it's nothing to do with the images i'm using as i am now using only images straight from my coldstone library. I have an event "main" which teleports to the location with exactly the same name as the map... i have not specified any map interface and i've got the memory on the game options menu cranked up to 32000k.

is it something to do with my mac? i don't see why, it's a fairly new iMac with 500mhz processor and 128 meg ram. i duno, i've had so much imput so far and am amazingly grateful, but any more ideas would be more than welcome... 😄

cheers all, Migraine.

------------------
"Art is only one 'f' short of what most people's opinions smell like"

Problem solved! and i don't really know how...!
but for reference for any newbies who hav the same trouble try adding a "define user control" event and a "map position" event on the "main" event... and a map interface on the game option menu, as well as checking off all the points made above by other people... it eventually worked. Ha, ya see? 🙂 i'll b working for Blizzard or someone in no time (right...)!!
Cheers again,
Migraine.

------------------
"Art is only one 'f' short of what most people's opinions smell like"

What's a map interface...? 😕

------------------
Thank you.

The map interface is that bar thing on the bottom of the screen that tells you your exp gold, ect. Hope I helped! 😄

------------------
Be carefree like the
bunny; nibble on grass,
prance through fields.