Why "Different of"? Why not "Not"?

This seemingly minor issue throws the logic circuits in my brain for a loop every time I try to set up a conditional event system. I seriously have to grit my teeth and pull myself together in order to run through the flow of an event in my head thanks to that one phrase. If it were simply "Not" then figuring out event flows would be a lot simpler. I'm not even sure "different of" is correct English. If it is, then it's pretty borderline, which is part of my trouble with it.

If this is some programming tradition, then please excuse my ignorance. It still causes a normally non-linear thinker like me a lot of problems to suddenly be thinking in terms of "is" and "different of" instead of "is" and "isn't." It's hard enough for me to think linearly without having to deal with foreign terms.

------------------
Non cognosco quo modo dicere linguam latinam bene.

(This message has been edited by LoneIgadzra (edited 07-04-2002).)

Never noticed it before. Now that you mention it, you're right. It isn't a programming tradition though. So I have no clue.
I don't blame Dee though, he is from Canada, and English might not be his best language.

------------------
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Originally posted by spitfire:
Never noticed it before. Now that you mention it, you're right. It isn't a programming tradition though. So I have no clue.

I admit that it's weird, but I don't mind. I think that "different of" portrays the idea of "!=" better than "not" does, even if it doesn't quite sound right. I suppose it all depends on the way you think (and the mood you're in when you see the phrase).

I don't blame Dee though, he is from Canada, and English might not be his best language.

Ever played PoG, spitfire?* 😄

*No offense, Dee.

------------------
The greatest of harm can result from the best of intentions — Wizard's Second Rule, Stone of Tears.
— Cafall

(This message has been edited by Cafall (edited 07-05-2002).)

Originally posted by Cafall:
**Ever played PoG, spitfire?*:D

I played the demo. I didn't have the money for Coldstone and POG.

------------------

I am well aware of the language barrier, but I'm not quite sure how "different of" can possibly come across as the opposite of "is." I've always thought in terms of "if true, then do this. If not (true)/else, then do this" with programming, and "different of" cannot be substituted anywhere there. On top of that, it throws my english recognition all off, so I have to calm the alarm bells before I can remember what it means. My brain just won't recognize it automatically.

------------------
Non cognosco quo modo dicere linguam latinam bene.

(This message has been edited by LoneIgadzra (edited 07-05-2002).)

Originally posted by spitfire:
**I don't blame Dee though, he is from Canada, and English might not be his best language.

What is wrong with canadian spelling? We have an excellant edumacation system! The US can't even teach proper pronounciation: ZED! not ZEE! - ZED! oh, go sit on your ruff. 😛
I think that they used the term "different of" because "not" wouldn't necissarily be right in some circumstances. For example, everything that isn't something must be different than the something in some way. Therefor, anything that is NOT something else must be DIFFERENT OF the something. Hey wait a second! I think it is bad english. Maybe "different from" or "different than" would be better.

Originally posted by thermal_256:
What is wrong with canadian spelling?

Its not as much spelling as it is grammar. 😄

Therefor, anything that is NOT something else must be DIFFERENT OF the something. Hey wait a second! I think it is bad english. Maybe "different from" or "different than" would be better.

Therefore, each one pretty much conveys the same message, but "not" is easier to understand for some.

Why am I even arguing with you on something this trivial?

------------------

Dee's native language is french, so "different of" seems to be a bad translation from "différent de". There you have it, or maybe there could be a deeper explanation?... don't think so.

------------------
------------------
Homo Homini Lupus