How does the kingdom map and tunnels map work in PoG?

Ok, I've been beating my head against the wall for a short period of time, and instead of giving myself more of a headache maybe someone here who knows can give me a hand(with solving the problem, not beating my head against the wall. 🙂 ).

I'm attempting to simulate both the kingdom map item and the tunnels map from PoG in a PoG plug-in, but they aren't working very well.

With both I've been trying to define them as main locations, as I want a picture to pop up that they can click on it and an event will be triggered from it. However I've not had any success with either yet.

So far this is what I've done:

I took screen captures of both the tunnels map and the kingdom map, cropped them to size and saved them into .pct format(72X72 ppi and 8-bit color).

I then created main locations for each and placed their corresponding pictures into the location :pics folder.

I created 2 locations of type event; the one for the tunnels was set to teleport the player to another area. The one for the kingdom map was set to restore the previous location(ie, to send the player back to where he was before opening up the map).

I used the coordinates editor on the 2 main locations to draw a clickable area, and set up links to the above 2 location events.

I created keydown events to teleport the player to the main locations(tunnels and kingdom map) where they should be able to click and get forwarded on somewhere.

However, this does not work. The main locations pull up just fine, but I can't click anything. Or rather, I can click the entire map but nothing happens.

Also, in PoG the kingdom map is drawn over the background. With my main location set-up the kingdom map is drawn over a black screen. Why is this? Did they use a stamp in PoG for the kingdom map?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

------------------
"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea --
massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a
source of mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect
it." -- Gene Spafford, 1992

first off in the have you set the area where you must click on to send you to that area (make shure it is big enough). You may also want to check to see if those areas you want your character to be sent to work. I've had corrupted map file that I had to redo that messed up the whole teleport to all of the areas. If this does not help I advise asking on the help on the way web board or contact ambrosia at help@ambrosia.com.
hope I helped!

------------------
Thanks,
GrahamVH

Originally posted by GrahamVH:
**first off in the have you set the area where you must click on to send you to that area (make shure it is big enough). You may also want to check to see if those areas you want your character to be sent to work. I've had corrupted map file that I had to redo that messed up the whole teleport to all of the areas. If this does not help I advise asking on the help on the way web board or contact ambrosia at help@ambrosia.com.
hope I helped!

Yes, the area is large enough. As a test I selected the entire picture. If that isn't big enough to click in, well, I'm not sure what is! 🙂

And as I alluded to right now I am merely attempting to copy in a plug-in to PoG what was done in the original game. So with the tunnels map, for instance, I am sending the player to a pre-existing map in PoG. So there shouldn't be any trouble with the map at all. But right now it doesn't seem like it is even accepting mouse selections or making an attempt to send me to a map.

And I'm asking here because, well, this is the CGE webboard.. 🙂 Plus I don't think this is a bug with the engine, just inexperience on my part.

------------------

Originally posted by Stark Bledfast:
**Yes, the area is large enough. As a test I selected the entire picture. If that isn't big enough to click in, well, I'm not sure what is!:)

And as I alluded to right now I am merely attempting to copy in a plug-in to PoG what was done in the original game. So with the tunnels map, for instance, I am sending the player to a pre-existing map in PoG. So there shouldn't be any trouble with the map at all. But right now it doesn't seem like it is even accepting mouse selections or making an attempt to send me to a map.

And I'm asking here because, well, this is the CGE webboard.. 🙂 Plus I don't think this is a bug with the engine, just inexperience on my part.

Are you using a regestered version of PoG? If not the make shure that it allows you to go there in that version, it may be inaccessable to the unnregestered version.

------------------
Thanks,
GrahamVH

Originally posted by GrahamVH:
**Are you using a regestered version of PoG? If not the make shure that it allows you to go there in that version, it may be inaccessable to the unnregestered version.

Yes, PoG is registered. If it weren't I wouldn't be able to test my plug-in at all, as PoG requires registration to run plug-ins. CGE is also registered.

------------------

Originally posted by Sark Bledfast:
I created 2 locations of type event; the one for the tunnels was set to teleport the player to another area. The one for the kingdom map was set to restore the previous location(ie, to send the player back to where he was before opening up the map).

Are your events for teleporting set up incorrectly? You checked the location and that was correct, so the next logical step would be to check the event.

------------------

Well, I know that there was a bug in CGE 1.0fc2 to the effect that:

-If a Main location uses a location pic which is smaller than the game window, and does not use the Main interface, the location pic appears centered in the game window and surrounded by a black border, which seems reasonable enough. However, any event links defined for the location simply do not work in such a case.

I don't find any record in my archives of the beta list as to whether it was fixed, but I rather would expect that it was.

I might suggest, for the kingdom map, using it as a picture in a Dialog action instead. If there is no text with it, the picture will be shown by itself sans dialog window. If all you want is for it to "click to dismiss" like the PoG kingdom map, and don't need event links in it, this is probably the way to go.

------------------
I have only made but one prayer in my life: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And it was granted. - Voltaire
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. - Douglas Adams
Openly atychiphobic since 2000.

**Yes, PoG is registered. If it weren't I wouldn't be able to test my plug-in at all, as PoG requires registration to run plug-ins. CGE is also registered.

Although this is off topic you can use plugins for PoG when it is unregestered. Says so in the manual. I have also tried and it works.

------------------
Thanks,
GrahamVH

Originally posted by Glenn:
Well, I know that there was a bug in CGE 1.0fc2 to the effect that:

-If a Main location uses a location pic which is smaller than the game window, and does not use the Main interface, the location pic appears centered in the game window and surrounded by a black border, which seems reasonable enough. However, any event links defined for the location simply do not work in such a case.

Ahh, this is exactly what I am experiencing. Hopefully this was a bug that they decided to fix in the update and didn't just overlook it.

I'll try to utilize the dialog box for the kingdom map replica, but the tunnels map replica needs to be clickable. Maybe I'll have to increase the dimensions of it to fill the game window. Anyone know off hand what the game window is? 640X480?

Originally posted by Rambler: **
Are your events for teleporting set up incorrectly? You checked the location and that was correct, so the next logical step would be to check the event.**

Yeah, teleport events are set up correctly. I've checked that more than once. 🙂 I've used both local events within the main location, as well as having the main location calling a location event. I've created 2 teleporting events, one as the location event that is called when the map is clicked, and one as a keydown event, and both events being identical in function. When the map is placed on the screen it won't accept mouse clicks(ie, I can click all over the screen but nothing happens). I can use the keydown event to teleport out though, so the event isn't the problem.

My problem seems to be identical to what Glenn pointed out. So perhaps this is a bug afterall and not my inexperience. Heh, that kind of makes me feel better, though if it were just inexperience it would be easier to fix. 😛

Originally posted by GrahamVH: **
Although this is off topic you can use plugins for PoG when it is unregestered. Says so in the manual. I have also tried and it works.**

Really? Wow. That could actually be quite bad. I wonder what would happen if you made a plug-in that teleported you to Berglum, for instance. Would the "you can't go any farther until you have registered" dialog box open up, or is the registration box only activated when you reach the "edges" of the allowed areas, so since you bypassed those areas you could continue your game?

Sounds pretty unsecure...

------------------

Alrighty, had a chance to delve into this problem this weekend. And a major THANK YOU goes out to Glenn. The bug report on the beta list turned out to be exactly what I was experiencing, and the solutions you posted worked just fine for my purposes. The upside is that I can continue doing what I want to do. The downside is that this is still a problem in CGE. I'll be filing a bug report momentarily, just in case it has fallen through the cracks. Perhaps a beta tester would like to post on the beta mailing list that this bug is still around(at least under OS 8.6).

Anyways, for me I took my pictures and created a background that was 650X488 in size(ie, just larger than the screen dimensions), placing my pics in the center of the background. Coldstone was able to render these images just fine and the areas were now clickable. So all is good.

Thanks Glenn!

------------------

Alrighty, had a chance to delve into this problem this weekend. And a major THANK YOU goes out to Glenn.

You're welcome. 🙂

The bug report on the beta list turned out to be exactly what I was experiencing, and the solutions you posted worked just fine for my purposes. The upside is that I can continue doing what I want to do. The downside is that this is still a problem in CGE. I'll be filing a bug report momentarily, just in case it has fallen through the cracks. Perhaps a beta tester would like to post on the beta mailing list that this bug is still around(at least under OS 8.6).

I e-mailed the URL of this thread to the beta list. We'll see what happens.

------------------
I have only made but one prayer in my life: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And it was granted. - Voltaire
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. - Douglas Adams
Openly atychiphobic since 2000.