races question

it it possible to have something happen depending on what race you are? I can't find anything like that in a conditional for an event.

------------------
Thanks,
GrahamVH

Yes, quite easily. What you do is set up a change globals event, that sets one of your global variables to the tag &&Race; (you can also select 'Race' from the dropdown menu). Then, with conditionals, you can check if a player is of race, say, dwarf, before the event can continue.

To make the global load correctly, simply put it in the Main.cet event at the top of the list. Now, just make sure it checks correctly. Incidentally, this can also be used for the Class of the player as well (&&Job;) and the Name (&&Name;). It can even be used in dialogue boxes, if you place &&Job; or &&Race; in the NPC's conversation, it will change to whatever the correct race/class is during gameplay. 🙂

-Andiyar

------------------
"Any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again"
Unless it involves pipeline of course. Bloody nuisance.

Yes, I agree. - I did this in my game where you can be changed into another character by an angry totem pole. It changes what action and interaction you have and can do.

------------------
Squak - the seal
makes the noise not
the approval

Sorry to bring up an old topic but can you change the players starting posistion depending on what race is choosen?

------------------
Gordotron
Long live the Azdgari!

Originally posted by Gordontron:
Sorry to bring up an old topic but can you change the players starting posistion depending on what race is choosen?

Mr. Gordontron,

The answer certainly should be a yes. While I haven't built a game from scratch(I've been working on plug-ins instead), it should work just fine.

As I understand the starting routine, you need to teleport the player from the start up screen to the main location(or if you send the player to a screen to choose things like race, etc, then from that screen to their starting main location). All you would have to do is throw in a short global check to look at the players race(save their race as a global, btw, heh), and depending on the value send the player to their racial starting place.

Make sense?

------------------
This may not be your favorite song, but it's got a lot of the same notes.
- KGGO Des Moines in the front?

I get it though I have not tried it I see how it would work. Thanks. Oh and as an afterthought could you make depending on race access of certain areas of limits.

------------------
Gordotron
Long live the Azdgari!

Originally posted by Gordontron:
**I get it though I have not tried it I see how it would work. Thanks.

I've actually done this for the game Celchu and I are making (we used classes instead of races). Here's a step by step.

Firstly, you need to create a global, call it whatever. During the Main.cet event, create a Set Globals event that loads &&Race; into whatever your global was.

Create a map that consists of a 1x1 tile. You don't have to colour it or anything, just create it, and save it as Loading or something similar.

Now, for each of your Races create a Map, then create a Teleport and Map Position event for each (make sure that these events are all seperate, call them something like :Initial Elf Position, Intial Dwarf Position etc.

Now, create a location for your loading map, and edit the Local initialisation events. In here, create a Conditional as the main branch, and get it to check whether gb_race is equal to, say, elf. If yes, then it links to a Call Event that brings up your Initial Elf Position event, if not, it links to another conditional that does the same thing for dwarves, and so on down your race list.

Whilst I haven't tested this for races, this is the exact method that works for classes. And yes, unfortunately, the loading map is necessary, as Main.cet requires a Teleport event or else it causes the game to crash. Also, you cannot do the conditional chain in the Main.cet event, as this also causes the game to crash. I suppose you could create a main location instead of a map and have it use the local initialisation event chain, but it's up to you.

I think that made sense. Sort of. 🙂

-Andiyar

------------------
"Any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again"