WARNING!!!

A word of warning to plug-in developers of any ASW game: Ambrosia's addon page has a bug (no, not the "3,000 visitors this month, 600 visitors this year" bug). Some of you have noticed it: the addons pages randomly chooses submissions and refrains from counting their number of downloads.
I've tracked down this bug: The script will only be prevented from counting DLs if the filename (excluding the suffixes) has spaces AND capital letters. if your filename is all lowercase without spaces, you're fine; if it has caps, but no spaces, you're fine too. But you cannot have both.
This theory was tested, by the way.
And yes, it worked.

------------------
The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason ŃWizard's Sixth Rule, Faith of the Fallen.
ŃCafall

Ooo, thanks for the tip -- I thought it just randomly worked or didn't work. 🙂

On a side note, Terry Goodkind was enjoyable...but I think the books are getting less good as they go along. And I suppose I never really thought they were very deep.

------------------
quitcherbellyachin.
---
New Fortress of Die Nacht released! (12/20) (url="http://"http://aviary.damnsw.net")Download it from here!(/url) | | (url="http://"http://aviary.damnsw.net/downloads/dienachtd5.sit")direct download(/url) | | (url="http://"http://aviary.damnsw.net/fortress/progresslog.html")Progress Log (12/20)(/url)

Yeah, the books are getting worse as they go along. Goodkind is running into Writer's First Rule: You can't keep a series going forever.
They were never as deep as, say, the His Dark Materials series (which leaves you in shock for two days after finishing, trying to accept everything). But there is wisdom in there, and his writing style has made up for the flaws so far.

Oops, I'm going off topicŃwill shut up.

------------------
The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason ŃWizard's Sixth Rule, Faith of the Fallen.
ŃCafall

Perhaps those of us with Dual processors should begin posting on all threads that we want an OS X version that works on our machines. We paid for our product, now deliver already.

Sorry to sound like a jerk...oh wait, I'm not sorry.

Grendall

ps, and it would be nice to be able to edit on the web boards, even if you won't let us join.

Originally posted by Grendall:
**Perhaps those of us with Dual processors should begin posting on all threads that we want an OS X version that works on our machines. We paid for our product, now deliver already.

Sorry to sound like a jerk...oh wait, I'm not sorry.

Grendall

ps, and it would be nice to be able to edit on the web boards, even if you won't let us join.**

There is a forthcoming patch that is currently being tested that will fix a number of the outstanding issues with the OSX version of Coldstone. It shouldn't be long now, I believe. And in the meantime, I suggest the Classic editor, until the patch is released, and possibly after, it is better than the OSX editor.

And not to sound too critical.... but there is really no need to get so offended. Yes, you have a right to software that works if you pay for it, but software needs to be patched all the time, and at least Beenox and ASW are working upon a patch immediately, rather than making you wait for six months like some companies have in the past. As for a release date, the patch will be ready when it's done, and until then, Classic is a perfectly viable situation. Please be patient. Oh yes, Ambrosia will be accepting new registrations soon..... just let them get their Dualie 1Ghz G4 working completly first. 🙂

-Andiyar

------------------
"Any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again"

(This message has been edited by Tarnćlion Andiyarus (edited 03-24-2002).)

Soo.... can the download count "BUG" be fixed on the ADD-ON page? Or can the sysop change the file names so they work correctly?

... just wondering.

------------------

Originally posted by Xacto:
**Soo.... can the download count "BUG" be fixed on the ADD-ON page? Or can the sysop change the file names so they work correctly?

... just wondering.

Andrew (el presidente of Ambrosia software) is in charge of the server. He just returned from the Tokyo show and I suspect that after he finishes cleaning up the mess that EV: Nova has made he will begin looking at the server and fixing the outstanding issues that it has. These issues are not just isolated to the download count errors on the add-on page. It also has problems with the mail feature and registrations. Probably some others too, heh.

Don't worry, everything will be fixed. But it is all a matter of time and priority, and lets face it the download counting is a very minor issue. It does not affect downloads nor anything else. It only shows how popular an item is. It will be fixed but I don't expect Andrew will bust a nut fixing it or anything.

Hope that helps clarify things a bit for you and put things in perspective. 🙂

------------------
People usually get what's coming to them ... unless it's been mailed.

at least you have a copy that doesn't work. i ordered my copy almost 2 weeks ago, and STILL haven't received it yet. It's not like i live in Australia... I'm just outside of Boston. So i have no CD, no response to my requests for a CD, and no response to my requests for tech support.

HELP!

I posted this warning on the EV Developer's board too, and lots of people talked about it, gave little workarounds, etc.
Here is the information that I have gathered from that thread:
As I have said, spaces combined with caps do not work. However, there is a workaround. Instead of having caps and spaces, you can have caps and underscores where the spaces would be. Therefore, "My Game.sit" would become "My_Game.sit". Because the filenames are underlined in the Addons pages, the underscores are invisible, creating the illusion of spaces.
In my experience, periods also work. Therefore, if your filename has a version number, you can have a filename like "My_Game_1.0.5.sit" istead of "My_Game_105.sit".

------------------
The only sovereign we can allow to rule us is reason — Wizard's Sixth Rule, Faith of the Fallen.
— Cafall

Originally posted by Tarn?ion Andiyarus:
**Yes, you have a right to software that works if you pay for it, but software needs to be patched all the time, and at least Beenox and ASW are working upon a patch immediately, rather than making you wait for six months like some companies have in the past.

4 months and counting 🐵
Any news on the dual processor bit (I'm not hounding, just being curious...Mr. Bledfast gave me a good note a ways back, but I didn't see any threads that addressed just the Dual processor issue)?

yer pal,
ted

Originally posted by Ted the cowardly aardvark:
**4 months and counting:redface: )
Any news on the dual processor bit (I'm not hounding, just being curious...Mr. Bledfast gave me a good note a ways back, but I didn't see any threads that addressed just the Dual processor issue)?

yer pal,
ted**

Version 1.0.1 is in Final Candidate, and I believe the Dual Processos bug is among those addressed.

------------------
"... For in that sleep of death, what dreams may come when we have shuffled off this mortal coil must give us pause..." - Willaim Shakespeare, Hamlet

Originally posted by Celchu:
**Version 1.0.1 is in Final Candidate, and I believe the Dual Processos bug is among those addressed.

Hopefully once the update is released Beenox(or Ambrosia...) will re-compile PoG and release V1.0.2 so that users with Dual Processors will not have PoG crash on them. I'd hate to see Coldstone fix the problem but not have PoG take advantage of it because it wasn't rebuilt.

------------------
Calvin: People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.

Hobbes: Isn't your pants' zipper supposed to be in the front?

Originally posted by Stark Bledfast:
**Hopefully once the update is released Beenox(or Ambrosia...) will re-compile PoG and release V1.0.2 so that users with Dual Processors will not have PoG crash on them. I'd hate to see Coldstone fix the problem but not have PoG take advantage of it because it wasn't rebuilt.

As would I great sage, as would I....
<<I can hear those goblins cry out in pain even now........)

your disciple (okay, so there's a touch of mellodrama in me, as well as Lagunitas),
Mr. Aardvark (that's with 3 'a''s; not 2...Mr. Aaardvark?)

Mr. Aardvark (that's with 3 'a''s; not 2...Mr. Aaardvark?)

Would there happen to be a silent "Q" in there anywhere?

------------------
Calvin: People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.

**Would there happen to be a silent "Q" in there anywhere?

Only when I'm quantity surveying.....

Only when I'm quantity surveying.....

Oh, you must know Ethel then? 🙂

------------------

**Oh, you must know Ethel then?:)

well, let's just say I know someone whose name is close to that.... Ethyl , a "sweet" old lady, with whom, along with her partner Zymase, I'm well aquainted.

OK people, just a little too far off topic now. I think this one has served it's purpose, and I'll keep the link in case this comes up again.

iLock.

-Andiyar

------------------
"Any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again"