War in the sea, in a ship rpg

(Continued from Ambrosia banter, I was pointed here in that topic)

I was wondering if anyone has made or thought of a sea based rpg. One where you controled a ship and possibly a fleat and sailed around to islands and ports and boarded other ships. I know basically nothing about coldstones and I was wondering if there are any major conflicts with such a game plan. If so would anyone be willing to help me with such a game or actually use the idea. Graphics beside the sea may be fairly difficult to creat but possible.

Thank you for your time
------------------
Gordotron "Long live
the Azdgari!" and now the polaris

(This message has been edited by Gordontron (edited 06-03-2002).)

There's absolutely nothing standing in your way, on any of those points except for the fleet part. CS has no true 'ally' support, so that part's out. I commend you for such an original idea. I'd play it.

------------------
"... For in that sleep of death, what dreams may come when we have shuffled off this mortal coil must give us pause..." - Willaim Shakespeare, Hamlet

(This message has been edited by Celchu (edited 06-03-2002).)

Originally posted by Celchu:
**There's absolutely nothing standing in your way, on any of those points except for the fleet part. CS has no true 'ally' support, so that part's out. I commend you for such an original idea. I'd play it.

You could deal with the fleet problem in a similar fashion to that used in Pirates! and Pirates! Gold, by having the map display one ship at a time, and letting you select which ship you wish to sail in battle. This could work rather well, I've been wondering how long it would take you to show up here, Gordontron. 🙂

-Andiyar

------------------
"Any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again"

Are there any problems for:
1. making "characters" fire missiles from the side
2. being able to "disable" a ship or "character" seperate from sinking it
3. keeping track of money, men, ship h.p., maral(s.p.), relations with other characters as in angering a certain nation or being praised and rewarded by other nations, etc.
4. Making some ships go faster than others
5. .question. is fighting in real time or turn based"
6. being able to buy a new character or in this case a ship with different stats
7. making a certain direction a "no go zone" becuause of course you can't sail into the wind.
(The main reason I wanted to make such a game is the lack of games for the mac but the abundance on the pecee side. If there was a good game out there I would not make this.)

thanks for you support and help

Originally posted by Gordontron:
**Are there any problems for:
<snip!>

1. No problem, this is all handled with animations.
2. Could be tricky, but possible. Not quite as good as what the EV series does, but event chains could replicate it.
3. No problem.
4. N. P.
5. Real time, but a bunch of events can create a quasi-turn-based system.
6. yes, just change the graphics and use events to set stats.
7. A certain direction inpassable.... I am not positive, but this might not be possible. Sorry.

------------------
"... For in that sleep of death, what dreams may come when we have shuffled off this mortal coil must give us pause..." - Willaim Shakespeare, Hamlet

7. making a certain direction a "no go zone" becuause of course you can't sail into the wind.

I think that if you REALLY take your time and make events for tiles (in rows could simplify this - though not by much). Basically, have an event that when a tile is "sailed over" the one behind it gets a message saying "you can't sail against the wind" and the row/tile behind that gets blocked.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that could work, though it would be time consuming to make.

Good Luck!

------------------

Originally posted by Klatu:
I think that if you REALLY take your time and make events for tiles (in rows could simplify this - though not by much). Basically, have an event that when a tile is "sailed over" the one behind it gets a message saying "you can't sail against the wind" and the row/tile behind that gets blocked.

Just make sure if you do this, that you have a global for the wind direction, and place the blocking event on the tile that is in the direction the wind is blowing from.

Ie, if you have a wind that is blowing from the east you shouldn't be able to sail east. So if you are sailing to the west you would want an event that makes the tile you just passed become blocked.

However if you wish to quarter your sails and sail to the north, there is no reason why you couldn't turn around and sail south. So in this case you would want to look at the global variable, and set the tile to the global's positioning as blocked... in this instance the tile to the players east would become blocked.

You also would only have to set 1 tile at a time, since if they were travelling with the wind only the square directly behind them would be accessible(and thus needing blocking), as well as if they were quartering the wind only the square next to them that is into the wind would be accessible, and thus needing to be restricted.

------------------
Calvin: People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.

Hobbes: Isn't your pants' zipper supposed to be in the front?

I was finally able to download it. I am currently reading the manual thanks for all the help.

(This message has been edited by Gordontron (edited 06-08-2002).)

Was all that really necessary? 😉

It looks like you have to option-click (on a Mac) or right-click and choose Download something or other (on a windoze). That might let you download it.

------------------
Visit The Search for Lezaref Website at (url="http://"http://www.geocities.com/mulletsailors") my old website(/url) or see (url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/pcheese")my new website(/url)
------------------
BNET: PCheese IRC: PCheese AIM: PCheese87 email: pcheese@mac.com
come on over to irc.ambrosia.net

OT: please delete that message with all the binary code in it. Or edit the binary blurps out. It wreaks havoc on the layout of the page. Thanks.

------------------