Vote for May's Chronicle of the Month!

Well Ladies and Gentlemen, it's the end of another month here at the Coldstone webboards, and thus I do believe it's time for another Chronicle of the Month competition! OK, I'll do a brief rundown of the rules and prizes, and then I'll announce the contestants.

Rule #1: Any member of the boards can vote, only one vote per member. This vote can be changed by editing your post, but not by posting again, if multiple posts are made with different votes, the first one will be used. Unregistered users can't vote, I'm afraid, but hey, why not register?

Rule #2: Voting will take place by the member posting the title of the Chronicle, and it's author's username(s) in their post. Comments aren't necessary, but can be nice. Authors can vote too, for their own work if they wish, but only once.

Rule #3: At the end of the competition, I will lock this topic, tally the votes and announce a winner. There are to be no complaints, my decision will be final (and even mathematical ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

Prizes: OK, the winner of the 'Chronicle of the Month' will first off, be announced to the world (OK, the board ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) in a new topic celebrating their work. Additionally, they shall be rewarded by the bestowment of one (1) karma point. If there are multiple authors, they will receive one point each. Furthermore, the runner up (if any) will receive the Honourable Mention for the month. Just so as to make Honourable Mentions more interesting, if two are gained by a single member, then one karma point will be allocated to said member for each pair of Honourable Mentions won.

And now, to the candidates! This month there's a bit of a change in the way the candidates are presented. Now, not only can you visit the Chronicles board and read their stories there, I've collated the stories into a pdf file which can be downloaded below.

Anyway, the candidates! Please note that this list is in order of release, and nothing else. ๐Ÿ™‚

And the pdf file with all of the stories included, laid out in a nice, easy to read lay out, can be downloaded (url="http://"http://epitheisterra.sourcecod.com/Chronicles/Chronicles - May.pdf")here(/url).

Happy voting! ๐Ÿ™‚

-Andiyar

------------------
"Any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again"

(This message has been edited by Tarnฤ‡lion Andiyarus (edited 05-29-2002).)

OK, and of course, for my vote....

I like all of the chronicles this month, actually. Some nice tales. But I think that (I'm trying to be subjective!) I still like mine and Celchu's best. So my vote goes to Chronicle number 1, the Ascendancy of LIfe, by myself and Celchu.

Tally:

• Ascendacy of Life: 1

• Mind and Matter: 0

• Life and Death:

• False Dawn: 0

• Spear of the Sun: 0

• Story for Elven Realms: 0

-Andiyar

------------------

(This message has been edited by Tarnฤ‡lion Andiyarus (edited 05-29-2002).)

bump

Not like this again. Please.

-Andiyar

------------------

Well, out of necessity, or a guilty concience or something, I changed my vote to Spear of the Sun, since (raises flameshield) I really think it was the best besides TAL ย— no, this is not active self-promotion. (I'd better not make this a habit, though.:) ) However, I don't want to ruin my old post, what with all the time I spent on it, so I'm just going to put it in quotes.

**All right, I've read through the chronicles, and I know who I will vote for (though it's a bit of a toss-up). Here's how I deduced who I would cast my vote with:

Celchu's chronicles are okay, but I noticed flaws in his writing style, and the background information sometimes stooped almost to monotonous.

Fire Templar's story seemed to basically be an intro to a Coldstone game. This is fine, but the piece was extremely short, and no information other than the game's background was given (and there wasn't even much of that). I can only assume that the plot for this game (if it is a game) was not very thought out and is still in development. And if the plot is in development, Fire should not have posted a chronicle so soon.

It came down to a tie between my chronicle and Celchu/Andiyar's creation myth. At this point, I started to squirm, because I voted for my own chronicle last time, and I don't want to look like I'm trying to self-promote. Added to that was the fact that I don't usually like creation myths, and I was uncomfortable about voting for one. And I just bashed Fire Templar for posting a game intro; how could I use a well-founded logic to vote for TAL, which was actually a game intro as well?
It was then that I took into account that my story was a stagnant pool of water, which I sometimes made ripples in. I have yet to make waves in SotS. Though I will put more action in the story, since I'm really just introducing the pieces right now, I can't vote for my chronicle on the logic that my future chronicles will be better, just as Fire Templar wouldn't enter his chronicle in a "longest chronicles contest" using the logic that his next chronicle will be longer (no offense, Fire. ๐Ÿ™‚ ). Even though TAL kind of has the same problem, it really is very well written, and is a good blend of many myths.

As I write this, my rationalizations seem to be coming apart in my head, and I'm examining all their flaws. Right now, the two major factors in my decision are that I don't want to seem self-promoting, and that I think TAL deserves my vote more than any other chronicle. **(Actually, I still do, but there's no runner-up at the moment. Sorry!) I therefore cast my vote with The Ascendancy of Life, by Tarnฤ‡lion Andiyarus and Celchu.

------------------
The greatest of harm can result from the best of intentions ย— Wizard's Second Rule, Stone of Tears.
ย— Cafall

(This message has been edited by Cafall (edited 06-02-2002).)

No long explanations of the voting process required, I'm voting for The Creation Myth.

Cafall,at least you've read them, now. ๐Ÿ˜‰ You mention flaws in my style, that's because I'm ambitious, taking on things that are a bit above me at the time. Rest assured, I'm learning, and never again will I make something on the level of Mind and Matter. ๐Ÿ™‚

------------------
"... For in that sleep of death, what dreams may come when we have shuffled off this mortal coil must give us pause..." - Willaim Shakespeare, Hamlet

All right, I've read through the chronicles, and I know who I will vote for and here's why...

I really like allegory type stories that have a hidden biblical sense to them,such as Hannah Hurnard's "Hind's Feet On High Places". I wouldn't go so far as to put this chronicle quite on that level, but it smacks of being a good allegory. However it sweeps back and forth from biblical to humanism. On the one hand we see YAHWEH, and then we see the big bang creation. But that's part of the mystery of an allegory. Keep the truth hidden enough to keep the reader interested without stirring religious prejudices before you get his interest.

In fact I had been mauling through a biblical allegory of my own, even before I had heard of Coldstone. That is what peaked my interest in a RPG game engine. I still hope to get it on paper and into a chronicle someday. Who knows someday you might be voting for me instead of Celchu and Tarnฤ‡lion Andiyarus

But for now, I cast my vote to The Ascendancy of Life, by Tarnฤ‡lion Andiyarus and Celchu.

Bob Plate
Toast
from Texas

------------------

(This message has been edited by Toast (edited 05-30-2002).)

All right, I've read through the chronicles, and I know who I will vote for and here's why...

I really like allegory type stories that have a hidden biblical sense to them,such as Hannah Hurnard's "Hind's Feet On High Places". I wouldn't go so far as to put this chronicle quite on that level, but it smacks of being a good allegory. However it sweeps back and forth from biblical to humanism. On the one hand we see YAHWEH, and then we see the big bang creation. But that's part of the mystery of an allegory. Keep the truth hidden enough to keep the reader interested without stirring religious prejudices before you get his interest.

In fact I had been mauling through a biblical allegory of my own, even before I had heard of Coldstone. That is what peaked my interest in a RPG game engine. I still hope to get it on paper and into a chronicle someday. Who knows someday you might be voting for me instead of Celchu and Tarnฤ‡lion Andiyarus

But for now, I cast my vote to The Ascendancy of Life, by Tarnฤ‡lion Andiyarus and Celchu.

Bob Plate
Toast
from Texas

------------------

(This message has been edited by Toast (edited 05-30-2002).)

Tally:

Ascendance of Life: 4
All others (as yet): 0

Andiyar, I think the reason we get so many vote "landslides" is that one person posts his vote and his reason for voting that way (sorry :frown: ) and other people change their votes because of the reasons he posted, or perhaps just because they want to be with the in-crowd (although I have yet to see such a sadly common concept in this forum ๐Ÿ™‚ ). Eventually, it's all white and no black. Added to this is the sad fact that not many people read the chronicles, and don't think they can spare the five minutes to read the chronicles they missed. (This month's vote was easy for me; one chronicle was mine, I'd read TAL several months beforehand, and another was only 3/4 of a page long. ๐Ÿ™‚ ) There are a few possible solutions to this problem:

1. Don't let anyone post their comments or reasons for voting. If they do, disqualify their vote, karmaslap them, whatever appeals to you. This may not work, however.

2. Don't let them post their votes on the web board. Have them email you with their vote, and you can simply process the votes when you have the time. Then, when all the votes are in, you can post the results, hand out karma, and lock the topic. This is probably the best solution, as it is completely foolproof (as long as the voter follows the rules) and doesn't take up much more of your time ย— I think most people can spare 30-40 seconds to count up a few votes. ๐Ÿ™‚

------------------
The greatest of harm can result from the best of intentions ย— Wizard's Second Rule, Stone of Tears.
ย— Cafall

(This message has been edited by Cafall (edited 05-31-2002).)

Originally posted by Cafall:
**< snip!>

Well, that isn't the ful reason. I voted for AoL because I wanted to see Andiyar try to give himself karma. ๐Ÿ˜‰

------------------
"... For in that sleep of death, what dreams may come when we have shuffled off this mortal coil must give us pause..." - Willaim Shakespeare, Hamlet

1. Don't let anyone post their comments or reasons for voting. If they do, disqualify their vote, karmaslap them, whatever appeals to you.
    (/B)(/QUOTE)

Hey Cafal I never voted in the past,but after reading your vote I just followed suit after your prime example and wrote an explanation. Now you want my fingers slapped :frown: I didn't change my vote. I have a mind of my own and can vote for good writing when I see it. I know what I like. You should have changed your vote after you read what you wrote and voted for Cafal. After all he is a good writer you know.
๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
By the way what is the tally now?
------------------

(This message has been edited by Toast (edited 05-31-2002).)

Hey Tarn,

Hypothetically speaking, if TAL wins, and one of Celchu's other chronicles gets runner up, will he get a karma point as well as an honourable mention? I assume it would, since if a person submitted multiple chronicles and received runners up on more than one of his submissions then you are going to add up the "half points" and award them accordingly...

heh.

------------------
Calvin: People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.

Hobbes: Isn't your pants' zipper supposed to be in the front?

(This message has been edited by Stark Bledfast (edited 05-31-2002).)

Originally posted by Stark Bledfast:
**< snip>

Yes, now be quiet and vote! ๐Ÿ˜‰

------------------

Originally posted by Toast:
Hey Cafall, I never voted in the past,but after reading your vote I just followed suit after your prime example and wrote an explanation. Now you want my fingers slapped:frown: I didn't change my vote. I have a mind of my own and can vote for good writing when I see it. I know what I like.

Well, I think most humans inherently have minds. ๐Ÿ™‚
Perhaps the reason we have such one-sided vote tallies is because most all of us are of a like mind in evaluating good writing. It would be better if we had more people who were interested, so we could get more diversity of opinion.

You should have changed your vote after you read what you wrote and voted for Cafal. After all he is a good writer you know.

I don't want to vote for myself again.

------------------
ย— Cafall

Originally posted by Celchu:
**Well, that isn't the ful reason. I voted for AoL because I wanted to see Andiyar try to give himself karma.;)

Celchu, what kind of writer would you be without Andiyar? I mean, like did you ever get a four on the Texas TAAS writing test?

He knows what I mean. He's from Texas :frown: and you don't graduate if you don't pass that test. Four is the higest score you can make on the writing.

------------------

Originally posted by Toast:
**< snip!>

Well, that's a very interesting question. To start off with, I'll tell you what not to look at. Those would be the first 3 installments of Body and Soul. (Mind and Matter, Life and Death, Blood and Honor) When I was writing those, I forgot many of the concepts that makes stories memorable and fun.

And not False Dawn Part 1. Seeing as how it's a 'Part 1,' it doesn't hold weight on it's own. And definitely not Shape. That was a mere gimmick piece, the bane (and maybe last resort?) of many a short story writer.

You might be wondering now, what does he consider to be his best work? Well, I have 3 of those right now. However, both confidentiality and the warning of several karma slaps prevents me from giving 2 of them to you. ๐Ÿ™‚ Those would be the entire False Dawn series to this point, (Most in the queue), and this piece I cooked up today for Epitheisterra. (No sneak peeks, sorry. ๐Ÿ™‚ )

So right now, my shining example is (url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/cgi-bin/ubb/newsdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number;=49&forum;=*Coldstone+Chronicles&DaysPrune;=1000&article;=000014&startpoint;=20")The original Body and Soul.(/url) Enjoy.

Sorry for those of you who are getting bored by this post, but Toast asked, and authors are always willing to brag about their babies. ๐Ÿ˜‰ As to your TAAS question, I've received 4's in the past, but that's stopped as I've adopted more controversial views on subjects. Favoring violence in video games while condemning parenting skills rarely gets a 4 from volunteer parent graders. ๐Ÿ™‚

BTW, if you want to see Andiyar's earliest work (on this board, at least), the first installment of Fall of the Nervii is (url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/cgi-bin/ubb/newsdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number;=49&forum;=*Coldstone+Chronicles&DaysPrune;=1000&article;=000006&startpoint;=20") here.(/url) As you can tell, I think he's matured a lot as a writer since those days. I'm proud of the Aussie. ๐Ÿ™‚

------------------

**1) Don't let anyone post their comments or reasons for voting. If they do, disqualify their vote, karmaslap them, whatever appeals to you. This may not work, however.

1. Don't let them post their votes on the web board. Have them email you with their vote, and you can simply process the votes when you have the time. Then, when all the votes are in, you can post the results, hand out karma, and lock the topic. This is probably the best solution, as it is completely foolproof (as long as the voter follows the rules) and doesn't take up much more of your time ย— I think most people can spare 30-40 seconds to count up a few votes. ๐Ÿ™‚

First one is a bit harsh, second one has some good points and bad points.... I will definitely review my process before the next vote however, and see what I can do to both improve and streamline the voting method. Thanks for the input, Cafall! ๐Ÿ™‚

Originally posted by Stark:
Hypothetically speaking, if TAL wins, and one of Celchu's other chronicles gets runner up, will he get a karma point as well as an honourable mention? I assume it would, since if a person submitted multiple chronicles and received runners up on more than one of his submissions then you are going to add up the "half points" and award them accordingly...

Sigh. Yes, I'm afraid so. Unless he does something to really irritate me, and I slap him before handing out points... ๐Ÿ˜‰ But yes, that could be seen as a problem, but then there's not much I can do apart from pick and choose the chronicles I release, and I'd rather not do that.

By the one and onle Celchu:
You might be wondering now, what does he consider to be his best work? Well, I have 3 of those right now. However, both confidentiality and the warning of several karma slaps prevents me from giving 2 of them to you. Those would be the entire False Dawn series to this point, (Most in the queue), and this piece I cooked up today for Epitheisterra. (No sneak peeks, sorry. )

Exactly. The time will come when much of what we have written can be revealed, but for now, only in the occasional snippet, I think.

/me pats his karmastick in a completely non-threatening way. ๐Ÿ˜‰

BTW, if you want to see Andiyar's earliest work (on this board, at least), the first installment of Fall of the Nervii is here. As you can tell, I think he's matured a lot as a writer since those days. I'm proud of the Aussie.

I'm sorta proud of him too...... I've done a bit more writing since then and I have changed quite a bit. Numerous personal changes (mostly mental) have been what affected me most....... and actually, I've always liked Stormclouds. It has always been my favourite part of that story..... and if you're interested, I've begun jotting down ideas for a rewrite of the original. We'll see. ๐Ÿ™‚

Anyway, now that I've replied to all and sundry, in an effort to yank this back on topic., the tally is currently unchanged. But one more thing...... if necessary, and if no Honourable Mention has been decided by the time this competition has concluded (a few more days) I might alter my vote in order to have a runner up. I might not, but then, it'd be a shame to not have anyone else get anything..... although if you guys like mine and Robert's work so much, then hey, I'm cool with it. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Andiyar

------------------

All right. Since there's no runner-up, and since it's clear that TAL is going to win anyway, I've changed my vote to SotS. But you'd better not make me do it again! Posted Image

PS: Celchu, I just found a smiley that reminds you of you trying to make me read your work. Posted Image
๐Ÿ˜„ ๐Ÿ˜„ ๐Ÿ˜„

------------------
ย— Cafall

< snip!>

Anything for karma, right Cafall? ๐Ÿ˜„

PS: Celchu, I just found a smiley that reminds you of you trying to make me read your work.**

Ahem... this is a more accurate representation... Posted Image

๐Ÿ˜›
------------------

(This message has been edited by Celchu (edited 06-02-2002).)

OK people, it appears that this thread has served it's purpose, and that there won't be anymore votes this time around. So be it.

iLock.

-Andiyar

------------------