corrupt maps - bug??

I'm running on a imac dv 400 mhz 312 mb ram.

The problem is that whenever I make a map it look perfect in the editor, but when I test it or compile it I get tiles in the wrong places - missing walls - I think that the events remain and the blocking, but the rest is so out of whack that I get too frustrated to even check. I figured that it might be a bug in the optimize map feature. I ran this on 6 maps which took me a couple days to put together and they all had the same problem.

This morning - after not touching coldstone for about a month because of my frustration - i decided what the heck it's time to get back to work. I threw out all the old maps and built the first decent sized map again from scratch - same thing all over again - it seems that i just can't make any maps in coldstone that don't get messed up when in the actual game - what can this be??

P.S. I tried reinstalling and trashing the prefs, but nothing...

Also - I'm not sure if this is a known bug - if it is and I wasn't allowed to put this up as a topic let me know - and I apologize in advance!

------------------

Are you running in the OSX editor, or in the Classic editor? The OSX editor has some very nasty issues with map creation, and if you're using it, I recommend that you switch to the Classic version.

-Andiyar

------------------
"Any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again"

Originally posted by Tarnćlion Andiyarus:
**Are you running in the OSX editor, or in the Classic editor? The OSX editor has some very nasty issues with map creation, and if you're using it, I recommend that you switch to the Classic version.

-Andiyar

Uh-oh...If I start in Classic and the X gets fixed, will the files be compatible for continuing in X? Thanks,

------------------

Unfortunately, I'm using classic - I was hoping that I was using the OSX version, but alas I'm not. What now???

------------------

Originally posted by dampeoples:
**Uh-oh...If I start in Classic and the X gets fixed, will the files be compatible for continuing in X? Thanks,

Yes. The X and Classic will still be compatible, only some bugs with the editors are being fixed. 🙂

And Klatu........ it might be an issue with the optimise map feature. What I'd suggest is to try to make a map without optimising it, and then see if it works. If so, then that at least narrows it down..... I'm not sure whether there is any issues regarding that in the current update (in beta), I'll have to check the announcement for the fix list. Give me a few minutes. 🙂

-Andiyar

------------------

I did try making a new map without optimizing it - forgot to mention it - and it's stil aving that problem. I dunno?

------------------

Hrm. Very odd indeed. I haven't actually heard of this problem before...... I think I'll have to pass on answering, as I'm stumped. Maybe someone else will know....

Oh yes...... map optimisations aren't mentioned in the 1.0.1 fix list.

-Andiyar

------------------

Oh, well... I emailed ambrosia and beenox - I'm hoping that they can figure it out - this is really bizarre...

Thanks for your help though Tarnćlion Andiyarus!

I greatly appreciate it!

------------------

Originally posted by Tarnćlion Andiyarus:
**And Klatu........ it might be an issue with the optimise map feature. What I'd suggest is to try to make a map without optimising it, and then see if it works. If so, then that at least narrows it down..... I'm not sure whether there is any issues regarding that in the current update (in beta), I'll have to check the announcement for the fix list. Give me a few minutes.:)

-Andiyar

Map optimization is not mentioned because it is not fixed in the b3 version. It's a problem that has turned out to be bigger than Beenox thought, and it's going to take a while to fix.
As for your problem, Klatu, I've had the same problem, though it only happened with PoG's fireplace stamp. I'll report it to the rest of the beta team.

------------------
The greatest of harm can result from the best of intentions — Wizard's Second Rule, Stone of Tears.
— Cafall

Originally posted by Cafall:
**Map optimization is not mentioned because it is not fixed in the b3 version. It's a problem that has turned out to be bigger than Beenox thought, and it's going to take a while to fix.
As for your problem, Klatu, I've had the same problem, though it only happened with PoG's fireplace stamp. I'll report it to the rest of the beta team.

Thanks Cafall. I really wasn't sure, so I thought, better to be a little negative (and give pleasant surprises) then to be positive and let people down. Hopefully that issue (and my personal pet hate, stamp/tile outlines in the OSX editor) will be resolved soon. 🙂

-Andiyar

------------------

Thanks again - I'm going to continue to experiment and see if I can discover what it might be - though I'm almost out of ideas - we'll see.

------------------

I'm having this exact same problem I think. Is it where the ground peices such as the transitions bewteen sand/water or forest/dirt don't show up? That's what's happening to me anyway. It may be that our operationg system is too old. I have 8.1, what about you?

Originally posted by Ironscythe:
I'm having this exact same problem I think. Is it where the ground peices such as the transitions bewteen sand/water or forest/dirt don't show up? That's what's happening to me anyway. It may be that our operationg system is too old. I have 8.1, what about you?

Are you using tile tools, or just placing regular old tiles?
And no, that is not the problem we were talking about.

------------------
The greatest of harm can result from the best of intentions — Wizard's Second Rule, Stone of Tears.
— Cafall

I'm using the regular tiles for ground.

------------------

Originally posted by Ironscythe:
**I'm using the regular tiles for ground.

are you putting them on the ground layer?

------------------
Straytoaster@mac.com
See CGE_Tips at:
http://coldroom.150m...f/CGE_Tips.html

Ground layer, yes.

------------------

I'm running on 9.2.1 and what it is that's happening is that I make a map and then - when in the game - the tiles are randomly placed - sort of. It's kind of, but not always, like if I swaped the names on random files and instead of a wall I get a ground tile and vice versa. The thing is that it's not that way because on most of the occasions the tile on the left side change and there's like a two pixel line inbetween. I uploaded a screen capture of when I'm in coldstone and when I'm in the complied game...
(url="http://"http://www.sinthesisent.com/coldstoneprob/")http://www.sinthesis.../coldstoneprob/(/url)

Maybe a visual example will help the beenox and ambrosia guys!?!

------------------

Originally posted by Klatu:
**I'm running on 9.2.1 and what it is that's happening is that I make a map and then - when in the game - the tiles are randomly placed - sort of. It's kind of, but not always, like if I swaped the names on random files and instead of a wall I get a ground tile and vice versa. The thing is that it's not that way because on most of the occasions the tile on the left side change and there's like a two pixel line inbetween. I uploaded a screen capture of when I'm in coldstone and when I'm in the complied game...
http://www.sinthesis.../coldstoneprob/

Maybe a visual example will help the beenox and ambrosia guys!?!

Sorry your Thread kinda got hijacked.

after veiwing your screen shots it looks like maybe not enough mem. try compiling your game then playing outside of Coldstone. always give both plenty of mem. i give CGE 100mb-200md if im doing an graphic work.

also at times when im testing my game i get the same effect if i havent selected a tile for an area. then Coldstone bleeds the surounding tiles.

what are the dark areas of your map?

-stray

------------------
Straytoaster@mac.com
See CGE_Tips at:
http://coldroom.150m...f/CGE_Tips.html

I forgot to mention that the black tiles are infact tiles - it's just a black image - I just chose that to show that it's totally random what happens...

hijacking - no problem - we're all here to help and learn from each other...

------------------

Oh yeah - I also tried adding more memory to both coldstone and the game, but there were no changes...

Thanks for the idea though! I don't think that I tried that before for my problem.

------------------