Bunch of comments and questions

Just what's on my mind at the moment about Coldstone...

I have heard that the statistic system is a little limiting. Why don't you free up all the aspects of Coldstone that aren't neccesary? Like being able to add as many stats as you want and make them do what you want, for instance. Of course, party play is another major factor. I would glady pay more for almost complete freedom.

What about games for sale? Would anyone really buy scenarios that you make with the Coldstone engine? If the graphics are inbuilt, then without all new graphics your own games would start looking the same as others. Pillars seems, according to the boards it has, quite less popular than you hoped. If I buy this engine, I want it for moneys, not for fun.

I think you've made a good step in the right direction, but maybe a good ol' tweak would be in order?

--gav

PS
This isn't a rant or a praise. I am in a highly neutral mood, some would say dangerously so.

------------------
Visit the (url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/webboard/Forum10/HTML/005883.html#")Anglo-American Dictionary(/url), a well of priceless information!

Originally posted by pistgavin:
**I have heard that the statistic system is a little limiting. Why don't you free up all the aspects of Coldstone that aren't neccesary? Like being able to add as many stats as you want and make them do what you want, for instance. Of course, party play is another major factor. I would glady pay more for almost complete freedom.

Yep, that would be nice to have. But at the moment..... bug fixes are more on Beenox and Ambrosia's minds than new features. But who knows? We'll just have to wait and see. 🙂

**What about games for sale? Would anyone really buy scenarios that you make with the Coldstone engine? If the graphics are inbuilt, then without all new graphics your own games would start looking the same as others. Pillars seems, according to the boards it has, quite less popular than you hoped. If I buy this engine, I want it for moneys, not for fun.

Of course you can use whatever graphics that you want. The ones that ship with Coldstone (which includes the PoG set) are there primarily to assist people with minimal graphics talent, and are also useful as placeholder graphics whilst the game is in development, if the art team aren't quite up to where the developers are.

As to buying one.... it depends. If it's a good game, and I enjoy it, then I'll pay for it. I'd download a demo/shareware version first, and then if I find myself consistently playing it and having fun, then I would almost definitely pay for it. Depending on price of course, I probably wouldn't pay $50 US for a Coldstone made game, unless it was exceptional. But I'd probably pay up to $30, maybe as far as $40.

-Andiyar

------------------
"Any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again"
Unless it involves pipeline of course. Bloody nuisance.

(This message has been edited by Tarnćlion Andiyarus (edited 05-24-2002).)

You may or may not know this, but Beenox has undertaken another huge project(s) The VATZ and Goliath. They claimed to be coming out with an update to CS a while ago, but it has not been released.
Anyway, it almost appears that Coldstone has been abandoned. Beenox has said otherwise, but we have yet to hear from them on its upcoming status. Please Dee, tell me I'm wrong.

------------------
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

(This message has been edited by spitfire (edited 05-25-2002).)

Originally posted by spitfire:
**You may or may not know this, but Beenox has undertaken another huge project(s) The VATZ and Goliath. They claimed to be coming out with an update to CS a while ago, but it has not been released.
Anyway, it almost appears that Coldstone has been abandoned. Beenox has said otherwise, but we have yet to hear from them on its upcoming status. Please Dee, tell me I'm wrong.

Coldstone 1.0.1 is currently in beta testing, at Beta 3 status, I believe. Hopefully it won't be long now.

Incidentally, the status of the update is always in the channel topic on #coldstone. 🙂

-Andiyar

------------------
"Any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again"
Unless it involves pipeline of course. Bloody nuisance.