Fostering Gameplay

Originally posted by theGlueBubble:
**Actually, this might be the kind of thread where you compile all the thoughts and put it in a game FAQ. Remember, not all old threads that are brought to the top are bad.:)

I'm not mad about this specific case..... in my opinion, this is a fine thread to 'resurrect'. I just don't think we'd like to see a deluge of old topics reimerging from the bowels of the Coldstone Web board...... be too hard to police. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Originally posted by stray:
although now the board wont let me use my name. so maybe you banned me seesh some people you make them mod for a few day and they throw their weight around

Actually, I have yet to use my karma stick at all..... perhaps it was someone else who did nasties to you? Or maybe it's a java/cookie glitch. Good luck in resolving it! We need people like you!

-Andiyar

------------------
"Any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again"

(This message has been edited by Tarnฤ‡lion Andiyarus (edited 04-17-2002).)

Originally posted by Tarnฤ‡lion Andiyarus:
**Or maybe it's a java/cookie glitch.

/me thinks it was a caffiened/Kookie glitch also.

------------------
'mentally I'm compatible with Macintosh and I can get a girl in the sack with floss, Hop on the microphone actin lost' --- Casual

Wow. Of all the times for me to randomly drop by the board for perhaps the second time in several months... ๐Ÿ™‚

(what happened to these folks? are they still around? useing CGE?)

I don't have much time to browse these boards very much any more, but I'm still a Coldstone beta tester (though not as active as I was in the pre-1.0 times), and I still have some hope of developing a game with CGE. Though my "dream game" would probably use an altogether different type of engine, I can still think of a few pretty darn nifty ideas that CGE would support without too much trouble at all. My first obstacle to such a quest, though, is character graphics. Not to go into detail here, but character modelling and animation in Cinema 4D is an altogether different beast from making inanimate objects, especially for an untrained nonartist such as myself.

I just want to add in closing that I still stand by all of my remarks above about what makes a good game. ๐Ÿ™‚

------------------
"A scientist can discover a new star, but he cannot make one. He would have to ask an engineer to do it for him."

hehe, it's strange, first time I've visited the ASW forums since... um, well, January probably (just got done with a very large project, and I did warn of my absence to moki and the other mods...), and I see one of my old posts from over a year ago drug up from the dead. Coincidence?

I'm actually very busy right now, and have all but officially dropped the game I was working on. The way things are looking, A Silent Fall won't happen. Oh well. It could also be that my dream game would benefit greatly from a few modifications to the engine, and the perception that "it doesn't quite do what I wanted it to" has contributed to my desire to pursue other projects. I don't know if I'll get back into CGE anytime soon though.

I'm actually not surprised that I'm still listed as a moderator. heh.

------------------
People who claim the sky is falling obviously aren't aware the earth is falling, too.
--
"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" --Benjamin Franklin.

I must have missed this topic before.

A non-exact quote somewhere in a game developer site here.
**Creating a game is creating a fantasy...when people see the bear graphic attacking the hero image they don't, or shouldn't, think, "Hey, that image representing a bear is attacking an image that represents me." They think, "Hey, that bear is attacking me."

Remember, I didn't write what they had word for word, in case anyone was wondering.
Anyway, that link is a very good one, and I would reccomend it.

------------------
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Originally posted by sanehatter:
**hehe, it's strange, first time I've visited the ASW forums since... um, well, January probably (just got done with a very large project, and I did warn of my absence to moki and the other mods...), and I see one of my old posts from over a year ago drug up from the dead. Coincidence?

I'm actually very busy right now, and have all but officially dropped the game I was working on. The way things are looking, A Silent Fall won't happen. Oh well. It could also be that my dream game would benefit greatly from a few modifications to the engine, and the perception that "it doesn't quite do what I wanted it to" has contributed to my desire to pursue other projects. I don't know if I'll get back into CGE anytime soon though.

I'm actually not surprised that I'm still listed as a moderator. heh.

Wow! You're alive! ๐Ÿ˜‰

You know, out of all of the pre-release games mentioned, A Silent Fall was the one I was looking forward to most? It sounded the most interesting to play, with an intrigueing world...... ah well, if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. Sigh.

As to you still being a moderator.... who could possibly replace you? (Okay, okay, i thought I was replacing you, but I replaced Dee instead. ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

-Andiyar

------------------

In my mind, the story is first. It absolutely must have a compelling story or there's no reason to return to the game. I play RPGs for the same reason I read books - to be immersed in a captivating story. Lousy story, I might burn the book (or the game).

As such, all the "good story" elements need to be there: intriguing plot line, believable characters the player can connect with, etc.

Since it's a video game, the next thing, IMHO, is excellent CG and non-irritating game play. Unfortunately, ColdStone doesn't offer the control over gameplay that I'd like. (Hello - the "x" key to attack?)

------------------
-Fyre
http://www-students.biola.edu/~johns

My personal preference is cat girls, I'll play any game that has a cat girl character in it at least once. . . .no seriously. (But again this is just me) And if it is truly a bad game, then I'll only play it once.

Different games (in the RPG genre) have different affects on my stats and I play them for different reasons. Final Fantasies, I play them in hopes that one of the subsequent releases will make me feel the way I did playing Final Fantasy II (which had me hopelessly addicted to it for an entire summer) I still have my FF2 cart. and I play it once a year as a tradition. I just love this archaic benchmark of the old world 16bit systems. I've also hunted down for the other Snes (Famicom) FF's and I have to disagree with one of the above statements, character tweaking and maintenance in the FF series isn't complicated (least not till after seven), (8 never happened, and I haven't played 9 or 10). But I guess the reason why I keep coming back to FFII (aside from never being able to get the pink puff) are the characters. I think FFII had some of the best characters in an RPG that I've played.

I'm currently playing several other games for inspiration as to what to do with CGE . . . anyone here ever play Terranigma? this is one awesome game. It had a very limited release on the US system as it actually came put after the n64, and is possibly the last and greatest of the snes action adventure games. Definitely worth an inquiry.

As far as what I like in a game. . . I've found what I like in a game with the games I've played, and own. . . I think putting what people like in a game is moot and pointless to discus actually. We all know what we like. . . the thing is that witch we don't know we like yet. Chrono Trigger did away with random encounters, I didn't know I'd like it till it happened. Chrono Cross did away with xp, and leveled you're character up once you completed a worthwhile quest (thus ending the "just two more fights so I can level" munchkin mentality), didn't know I'd like this one till I tried it either.

Innovation, that's what I want in a game. New stuff. new Ideas, new stories. . . Okay, princes locked in a tower, but she's a real mean person . . . sure I'll save her. . . that way I can sell her off as a slave to a rival kingdom. . . .!!! now that's innovative. . . Can't buy that armour cause I'm short 2 gold, How a bout I don't kill yer son over there by the bellows, is his safety worth 2 gold? heheee. . yah I would love the chance to play an anti hero, I guy who would never see the light of morality but would save the world because then everyone would owe him a favor. . .
And I would like this not because the plot says I have to do this, but because I could if I really wanted to live the life of a morally bankrupt @$$.

Things I don?t like are really obscure hints for very deep and involving puzzles. you should have adequate hints in your game so that a lug head like me can figure it out eventually (there?s a reason why ?pyst? was made).

and above all else (to get back to my original point) CAT GIRLS!!! with the advent of the anime bunny girl - hostile take over. . . Cat girls need all the support they can get. . . Rage against the bunny. . . I am Gamer. . .here me roar!!!

MEOW!

------------------
All I wanted was a pepsi. . . just one pepsi. . .

Originally posted by Simplewhite:
I'm currently playing several other games for inspiration as to what to do with CGE . . . anyone here ever play Terranigma? this is one awesome game. It had a very limited release on the US system as it actually came put after the n64, and is possibly the last and greatest of the snes action adventure games. Definitely worth an inquiry.

Yes, I've played Terranigma several times through. I'm playing it again at the moment emulated, actually (it is much easier to defeat Bloody Mary when you can save-state every ten seconds ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) Great game, truly is. I recommend it to any RPG/action game player, and I don't do that often.

I would love the chance to play an anti hero, I guy who would never see the light of morality but would save the world because then everyone would owe him a favor. . .
And I would like this not because the plot says I have to do this, but because I could if I really wanted to live the life of a morally bankrupt @$$. **

Then you'll rather enjoy part of Epitheisterra, I think. We plan to incorporate a system that will allow you to do just that...... or at least, in part. ๐Ÿ˜‰

-Andiyar

------------------