Scenario Reviews

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present for your esteemed viewing, my own two cents on scenarios. (Since as yet ares downloads has no method for writing independant reviews that are easily accessible.)

After the War: This I think was the first scenario out (either that or Black Seas) and deserves some credit for that. It's story is generally o.k. All the levels were rather easy and the best one was where you get the Ish. gateship and takeover Gaitor. Unfortunately the whole thing can be finished in about 20 minutes. 4/10.

Black Seas: This was an innovative plugin that included the first new race of Ares. It is generally pretty good and the ships were nicely balanced for a new plug. On the other hand it suffered from ship we've all heard alot about. On the whole it's worth the download, there are some really good levels here. 5/10.

Iron Fist: I think Slug has made the first really big effort at a new scenario here, and it really shows. The scenario itself is very smoothly done, except for the error 11's of which my computer may simply be a unique sufferer. Otherwise the levels are great. Obish ships against Gaitori ships - what more could you ask for? And it is still quite hard in some places. This is the best scenario in my opinion. 9/10.

The Rogue: From the author of black seas, the rogue is quite interesting. Although most of the levels are really quite fun the rogue itself is extremely weak and often it is risky going near a gaitori carrier... I must confess that I succumbed to the sin of going into it with hera and erasing that bit about losing when the rogue dies. From then on I enjoyed watching it go up in flames... 6/10.

Space marines: I was quite impressed by the originality of having space marines and it is well written. Pity there's only one level. 7/10.

Fromalphatoomega: Hmm... quite a transparent story, but good in it's own way. The 'sex' scenes were in my opinion somewhat out of place in an Ares plugin, and vulgar. I couldn't get past level 7 or whatever because of a graphic problem and I'm not able to access it with hera. 5/10. (I'd like to see Enimen spell '197')

Big blobing: An arcade version of Ares, where you get a fantastic ship and you fight blobs. 6/10.

Is there anyone else's scenario that I've missed? I don't download net scenarios.

Actually, Black Seas was made by Admiral Devo, while the Rogue was written by Mag Steelglass. Otherwise, well said.

------------------
I have a plan so ingenius even an idiot could have devised it. On my command, we will line up our ships and fly straight into the enemy death-cannons clogging them with wreckage.

Stop Exploding you cowards!

I liked Iron Fist more.

U make me laugh and for those of u that didn't miss me>
They call me slim shady im back
P.S.
Guess what?
What?
My files already 8,009,329 bytes or as u kiddys say it 7.6megs!
And thats the end of that chapter
Progress:

Ive made all the ships and are now getting ready to make the mission map!
HEHE!
So empires heart make way for the one the olny FROZEN Heart!
And slug i appoligize if this posts makes u mad!

------------------
Mag Steelglass, an old friend who aild what cured me many times!
Enforce contest space blob!

Here's what I think of them.

After the War: It actually came out after Iron Fist. Before The Rogue, though, I think. The levels tend to be ripped off from Ares, with a few slight differences. The set of ships is also the same as in Ares, so there's nothing new there. I also thought it was too easy, which is the main problem with plugs, in my opinion.

Black Seas: It was too easy, but the new ships were nice. They were amazingly unique for ships with weapons entirely from Ares. There are also levels I found with Hera that continue the story for quite a long ways. I like this one a lot, just for the new ships. That's the main strength of this plug, in my opinion.

Iron Fist: I think this was very good, except for the whole "too easy" thing. A couple of the levels are almost hard enough, but when you lose them, you continue on, anyway. The new ships for both the Obish and the Gaitori are nice, and the branching storyline is also good. The levels are very interesting and new, as well. I think it would have been more interesting and difficult if you were the Gaitori in it, though, but I'm obsessed with difficult plugs.

The Rogue: (remember on this one: I made it, so I'm biased) I think this is the only one that's hard enough. I tried to make it that way, and I lose plenty of times while playing it. I made the Rogue weak to make it harder. I think I made the levels nice and interesting, too. The main strength of it, in my opinion, is the difficulty. The storyline doesn't really exist too much.

Space Marines: Very interesting. I think it's a good idea. We could use this basic idea to make plugs sort of like Jurassic Park: zerbs on the loose, and the zookeepers have to round them up or something. I think more levels would be better, and a smarter computer opponent. It's almost impossible to lose.

Fromalphatoomega: It's nice that Eminem tried, but something better would be, well, better. The sub-plot with the girl is just plain silly. He could have at least read some romance books to get an idea how to make it worthwhile. You could meet her partway through, having rescued her from a disabled passenger liner. I also think it would be nice if he could have made the plot more understandable. It was written like his posts on the boards, which weren't too understandable, either. The pills were kind of silly, too. The graphics weren't new, and the warping transports would be too useful. The flaming mo's were cool, even with the graphics of a tie fighter. A couple of the levels were almost decently hard, though.

Big Blobing: I don't really need an arcade style plug. I've made ten, so far. Small ones, for my use only. I might release them some day, but I'd have to get more first. I've made zerbilite vs zerbilite battles before, too, and zerbilite vs ship ones. This was nothing new or particularly interesting for me. It might be for others, though.

Anyway, that's what I think. Now we have FOUR cents. We just need about 96 more to by something cheap!

------------------
"I can ail what cures you."

For some unknowable reason I have decided to write Antony's speech to the people. That's right the 'but Brutus is an honorable man' thing. Note this has nothing do with Ares or really anything. Indulge an old fool.

A = Antony
P = One of the people/the people

• = Unwordable actions, sounds

Ahemm....
-------------------------------

Ascends to the parapit to the clammerings of the people who support Brutus.

A: 'You gentle Romans...'
P: 'Heave ho, let us hear him!'
A: 'Friends, countrymen. Lend me your ears. I come to bury Caeasar. Not to praise him.'
*: The people converse in low whispers.
A: 'The evil that men do lives after them, the good is often terrid with their bones. So let it be with Caesar.'
P: 'Aye, aye...'
A: 'The noble Brutus, hath told you Caesar was ambitious. If it were so it was a grievous fault and grievously hath Caesar answered it.'
P: 'Aye.'
A: 'Here, under leave of Brutus and the rest, for Brutus is an honourable man! So are they all, all honourable men - come I to speak in Caesar's funeral.'
P: 'Aye! Noble Brutus!'
A: 'He was my friend. Faithful and just to me. But Brutus said he was ambitious, and Brutus is an honourable man!'
P: 'Aye!'
A: 'He hath brough many captives home to Rome, who's ransom did the general coffers fill. Did this in Caesar seem ambitious? When but the poor hath cried Caesar hath wept. Ambition should be made of sterner stuff - yet Brutus said he was ambitious, and Brutus is an honourable man.'
P: 'Aye...' unsure mumblings
A: 'You all did see that on the lupulchre I thrice presented him a kingly crown which he did thrice refuse!! Was this ambition? Yet... Brutus said he was ambitious. And sure he is an honourable man?....'
Silence
A: 'You all did love him once, not without cause. What cause withholds you then to mourn for him?! Oh judgements, though art fled to brutush beasts and men hath lost their reason! Bear with me. My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar. And I must pause, to let it come back to me.
P: 'There is much reason in his sayings...'
'Caesar never did us any great wrong.'
'That is true, he would not take the crown...'
'Therefore it is certain he was not ambitious.'
'But mark me he begins again to speak!'
A: 'I went to Caesar's house and in his closet I found this. 'Tis his will. Let but the commons here this testament, and they would go and kiss dead Caesar's feet. Yay, take a hair of him for memory and die mention it in their wills, bequeathing it as a rich legacy unto their issue...'
P: 'Well let's hear the will!'
'Read it Mark Antony!'
'The will the will!'
A: 'Have patience gentle friends I must not read it! It is not for you to know how Caesar loved you. You are not sticks; not stones but men! And being men hearing the will of Caesar it would inflame you! It would make you mad! Tis good you know not that you are his heirs... for if you should, oh what would come of it?'
P: 'Read it Mark Antony!! Read it!'
'The will THE WILL!'
'Caesar's will!'
A: 'Patience, gentle friends. I have overshot myself to tell you of it; I fear I wrong the honourable men who's daggers have stabbed Caesar, I do fear it!'
P: 'They were traitors...'
'Honourable men?!'
A: 'Do you demand that I read the will?'
P: 'YES!!!'
A: 'Then make a circle round Caesar's body. And let me show you him the made the will.'
A: 'Shall I descend?'
P: 'AYE!!'
A: 'And will you give me leave?'
P: 'Aye, you shall have leave!'
Mark Antony descends...
A: 'Look you at the place where Cassius' dagger threw. Look what a rent the envious Casca made. Through this the well beloved Brutus stabbed; and as he plucked his cursed steel away, mark how the blood of Caesar followed it. As rushing out of doors it knew that Brutus so unkindly cut. For Brutus as you know was Caesar's friend! Judge oh you Gods! How dearly Caesar loved him. This was the most unkindest cut of all, for when Caesar saw Brutus there, ingratitude more strong than traitor's arms, quite vanquished him. Then burst his mighty heart, and muffling up his cloak, even at the base of Pompeii's statue, which all the while ran blood, great Caesar fell. Oh what a fall was there my countrymen. That you and I, and all of us fell down whilst, bloody treason flourished over us!'
Hushed silence
A: 'But look you there. There is himself! Marked as you see with treason!'
P: 'Oh piteous spectacle.'
'Oh awful death.'
'Traitors, villains.'
'He will be avenged.'
'Avenged, he will be avenged!'
A: 'Oh countrymen, let me not stir you up to such a sudden flood of mutiny, those that have done this deed are honourable, what private griefs they have alas I know not that made them do this, but they are wise and honourable and will no doubt with reasons answer you! I come not friends to steal away your hearts - I am no orator as Brutus is but simply a plain blunt man that loved my friend. And that they know full well that gave me public leave to speak of him. For I have neither wit, nor action, neither speech nor suffering to move men's blood, I only speak right on! I tell you that which do yourselves do know and show you sweet Caesar's wounds - poor, poor dumb mouths, and bid them speak for me! But... were... I... Brutus... And Brutus Antony, there were an Antony that would ruffle up your spirits, and put a toungue in every wound of Caesar's, that should stir the stones of Rome, to rise and MUTINY!!!'
P: 'Mutiny, MUTINY!!'
A: 'Dear friends you go you know not what. Wherein hath Caesar thus deserved your loves? Alas you have forgot, I must remind you then, remind you of the will I spoke of!'
P: 'The will!'
'The will!'
A: 'Patience gentle friends...
P: 'The noble Antony!'
A 'Herein doth Caesar promise to every man. To every several man.... 75 Drachmas!!!!!'
P: 'Caesar! Caesar!'
'Oh royal Caesar'
'We will avenge his death!'
A: 'Have patience friends! He also gives you all states on this side Tiber. He has left them you and to your heirs forever!'
Hushed gasp
A: 'Common pleasure to all abroad and recreate yourselves. Here was a Caesar. When comes such another?!'
P: Wild hysterics 'Never, never!'

----------------

Ahem... whew that was alot of typing. Err... what was this post for? Ah yes, well if you don't like the name Empire's Heart, too bad. It is very relevant to the actual plugin, and the fact that another plugun is called Frozen Heart has absolutely nothing to do with it. In fact I player Frozen Heart, and it's pretty damn good and I concede that no other EVO plugin will ever be as good (in fact it's better than the default EVO data) at least, I think. But the EVO's plugin's name doesn't actually have anything to do with a frozen heart (atleast to the point I got up to), unless you take into account the general suffering of all the people therewithin, - and there's plenty of that in mine. But why am I defending myself? I give you an example, the Audemedon Axis. When Nathan Lamont (may his name be enshrined in the annals of programming) pinned that to the Audemedon, nobody went out an started accusing him of copying Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini. When George Lucas called his bad guys 'storm troopers' no one said, I believe you're copying Ludendorff's alpine divisions... Anyway I believe that speech contributed 10 cents. My two cents on Shakespeare, and my two cents on Frozen Heart, and my two cents and Adolf Hitler, and Ludendorff, Mussolini etc................................

uh.. yeah, that it.

Maybe the abridged version would have been better...:-)

Sheppo
BTW, where in Melbourne exactly are you? I'm in Essendon, and I'd just be interested to know.

------------------
[http://www.crosswinds.net/~pshep/page
Yeah](http://www.crosswinds.net/~pshep/page<br />
Yeah), so what if I'm an Emo Nerd?

That's very interesting. You've given me something to ponder about tonight.

------------------
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for an hour... Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
-Polaris Confederate Recruitmant Theme
StarLance

Could you tell us a bit about Starlance Slug? By the way, if there is no divine intervention I am posting the preview of my plugin. I suggest you all go and download it (provided it is there) and write a review on it. Spare no criticism, and I know it's only got 6 levels. But I've tried to make them as good as possible. By the way I will make 3-D artwork for alot of credit and the sheer joy of it. How do you like my newest quote?

-------------------------------
"And now presenting Adolphis Spriggs in the wonder song, 'I'm Walking Backwards For Christmas. Take it away boy!"

"Can I have my introduction please..." music starts

"I'm walking backwards, for christmas, across.... the Irish.... sea..."
"I'm walking backwards, for christams, it's the finest thing... for meeeee!!"
"I tried walking sideways, and walking to the front... they just look me and... say it's a publicity stunt..."
"I'm walking backwards for christams! Across my lamp'o'bard - O."
"And now ladies and gentlemen, I will walk backwards singing the same song, at no extra charge."
"I'm walking backwards for christmas....." falls of stage to the applause of the audience

I usually like to keep information to preserve a sense of mystery.

yawn I'll post a topic of it tomorrow. G'night all.

------------------
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for an hour... Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
-Polaris Confederate Recruitmant Theme
StarLance

Originally posted by Punkster:
**Maybe the abridged version would have been better...:-)

Sheppo
BTW, where in Melbourne exactly are you? I'm in Essendon, and I'd just be interested to know.

I was hoping to interest you all in a little Shakespeare. That marvellous magician of culture, language and arts. I am in Hawthorn Glen, it's near Scotch College, that shockingly pathetic children's limbs and abuse hardware store.

----------------------------
"My fellow citizens of America, ask not, what your country can do for... Ma leg ma freakin' leg!"