Storylines?

Where are you all getting your storylines from? Did you write them, or get them from somewhere else? Can the game player change the story depending on how they play, or do they have to follow your plan?

Share about the game you're making in coldstone!

Amorya

------------------

Well, our story is entirely home-brewed. The player will be thrust into a critical point in history and given the chance to join one of several factions. You will be able to overthrow an empire, lead a group of city states to power, seize the world in the name of God, rise up and rule as a god, or maybe just corner the market on Cornflakes while attaining the coveted title of supreme Buddhist monk. πŸ™‚

How 'bout you, Amorya?

------------------
"Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn to see fear's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." - Muad'Dib

Originally posted by Celchu:
**Well, our story is entirely home-brewed. The player will be thrust into a critical point in history and given the chance to join one of several factions. You will be able to overthrow an empire, lead a group of city states to power, seize the world in the name of God, rise up and rule as a god, or maybe just corner the market on Cornflakes while attaining the coveted title of supreme Buddhist monk. πŸ™‚

How 'bout you, Amorya?

Will you forget about that monk?! πŸ˜‰ Seriously though, as Celchu said, our game will have multiple storylines with multiple characters, and the ability to switch between them, if thecorrect choices and actions are made by the player. Anyway, I'll have our website online in a couple of weeks (maybe sooner! :)) and you'll be able to read all about it... I'll post an announcement in the Newswire after New Years, so if you're interested, keep an eye out for more announcements concerning.... ** Epitheisterra** (/publicity stunt)

πŸ˜‰

-Andiyar

------------------
"Any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again"

(This message has been edited by Tarnćlion Andiyarus (edited 12-23-2001).)

One of my many amazing abilities is to just make stuff up on the spot. Got me through school, and hopefully through life πŸ˜›

I have a basic idea, and thats it. I am just going to make it up as I go along, as I find that a lot easier. Either that, or I will get my head down, actually write the book I have been planning, and base it off that (book and game companion!)

------------------

I wrote my story myself, the appleworks file is about 70 pages long, and that's the condensed version. πŸ™‚ It's got a few different storylines/endings, and you control different people in different points in the game. Add's a bit of variety IMO.

------------------
Ladies and Gentlemen, as you know we have something special for you at
Birdland this evening. A recording for Blue Note Records...

"Actions have reactions, don't be quick to judge, you may not know the hardships people don't speak of,
It's best to step back, and observe with couth, for we all must meet our moment of truth." - (url="http://"http://www.OHHLA.com/anonymous/gngstarr/moment/moment.gsr.txt")Guru(/url)

heh
my own personal project will be quite huge....if I ever get it done.
Too many words..you look at em long enough and they start to taunt you...no!! get away! arrg!!
but seriously folks, who else would use anything but a home brewed story?

------------------
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti

hello. guess i might get out of my little hole and come tell you guys too. Basically, you meet the hero from another story, and get sent after to destroy a bad guy (remade when the first heros defeated the baddie in their time) made up of evil and magic (mana lord). you have to find a blue gem that sets of a red light. wierd, huh? i might put a bit on season fairies as well, and maybe the original party's story. i haven't wrote much y e t. . .
i guess i should get to work on those drawings . . .
dag nabbit! i really need a scanner.

bobble

------------------
Fruit kabobs----

I know!!
How about a world full of creatures and who wants to be the master and he has to catch those evil creatures that looks like yellow mouses with electicifying moves and then u fight other boys/girls. That sounds a bit familiar to me...

My real story is like 1 page on Appleworks. But dont worry it would be like 10 books if I would write the whole thing done, I have it all in my head.

Project : Mammoth...

Originally posted by champion:
**One of my many amazing abilities is to just make stuff up on the spot. Got me through school, and hopefully through life:p

I have a basic idea, and thats it. I am just going to make it up as I go along, as I find that a lot easier. Either that, or I will get my head down, actually write the book I have been planning, and base it off that (book and game companion!)

Please, please, please, follow my advice on this...write down EVERYTHING that the game will contain, BEFORE you even start work on it in Coldstone.

Trust me, I have suffered the effects of not doing this before...

------------------
quitcherbellyachin.
---
New Fortress of Die Nacht released! (12/20) (url="http://"http://aviary.damnsw.net")Download it from here!(/url) | | (url="http://"http://aviary.damnsw.net/downloads/dienachtd5.sit")direct download(/url) | | (url="http://"http://aviary.damnsw.net/fortress/progresslog.html")Progress Log (12/20)(/url)

Originally posted by theGlueBubble:
**Please, please, please, follow my advice on this...write down EVERYTHING that the game will contain, BEFORE you even start work on it in Coldstone.

Trust me, I have suffered the effects of not doing this before...

then you are nothing more than a machine in making it... how can that be fun?

------------------
Cynicizm: February Release at best

Originally posted by Lorenoth:
**then you are nothing more than a machine in making it... how can that be fun?

He's saying that people will really be doing themselves a favor by planning out their entire game before they even get to the Coldstone part, as opposed to making things up on the spot.

He's right. Nothing beats a good plan, and nothing will kill a project faster than a lack of direction.

------------------
--
Mauglir

Originally posted by Mauglir:
**He's saying that people will really be doing themselves a favor by planning out their entire game before they even get to the Coldstone part, as opposed to making things up on the spot.

He's right. Nothing beats a good plan, and nothing will kill a project faster than a lack of direction.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've noticed that I actually do worse when I prepare for something than if just BS it. Case in point: for last term's US History final (a debate), my partner and I barely researched at all, and even then we only started about three days before the debate (when we had three weeks). Needless to say, my partner and I womped their pasty white buttocks.

At any rate, what I'm trying to say is that I'm gonna take the same approach to my coldstone game as I do with my creative writing - just start with an idea, and let the plot guide itself.

Peace.

------------------
Do not aproach a cow from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction.
-Mark Twain

If you're working by yourself, it mostly doesn't matter if you make stuff up as you go along, because the only person you're accountable to is YOU.

However, if you're working in a team (anywhere from 2 up), proper planning is essential for maximum effeciency and minimum trouble.

Example: Let's say you're a brilliant game designer, and you've come up with a plot that involves twelve heroes on a quest. You describe these heroes in painstaking detail to your buddy, a 3-D artist, who goes off and renders eight directional animation loops for walking, running, and fighting for each character- 1152 frames in all.

Just as the last frame is rendering on the last character, you realize it would make the story better if all your characters had wings, so they could battle in the air as well as on the ground. You ring your friend to tell him about your great idea, and ask when the new graphics can be ready... In the background, you hear muffled cursing, the sound of a monitor crashing to the floor, and finally, the >click< of a phone hanging up...end of project.

Seriously, though- the biggest morale killer for any team is having to do work over, or having wasted work because someone up the chain can't make up their mind before the work starts. That's why, at the company I work at (a large media conglomerate), nothing starts until everyone agrees in writing what the end result is going to be. You may not be a multi billion dollar media conglomerate, but the same principle applies to every group of creatives working to a common goal.

Returning to my first point- if you're on your own, then you can work as you please. However, then you run the risk of internal inconsistencies and plot holes in your own story. Nothing ties up a story like a little clue at the beginning "paying off" to a big finish-- likewise, nothing ruins a story more than a writer who pulls stuff out of their ass to resolve loose ends.

That's why I recommend you write, at the very least, an outline of where your story starts, where it travels, and where it ends. When it makes sense, build around that outline, and you'll always have a cohesive tale.

------------------
marc siry
century city, usa

Wow. I would dearly love to make a computer game (Hence the fact I hang about waiting for coldstone news all day), but I must say that you guys are much more coordinated than me. I never think about what I am actually going to do until ten minutes after I have started the project.

------------------
And so, like a pound of cheese migrating south to Ohio, the Mysterious D burst onto the scene with the son of the queen of Siberia strapped to his side like an impish lawn gnome gone astray

Originally posted by marcsiry:
**If you're working by yourself, it mostly doesn't matter if you make stuff up as you go along, because the only person you're accountable to is YOU.

However, if you're working in a team (anywhere from 2 up), proper planning is essential for maximum effeciency and minimum trouble.

I couldn't agree with you more. I do have 10 pages of just plot written out(no details, just what happens)

------------------
"What dragon?"

Originally posted by Arken:
**Wow. I would dearly love to make a computer game (Hence the fact I hang about waiting for coldstone news all day), but I must say that you guys are much more coordinated than me. I never think about what I am actually going to do until ten minutes after I have started the project.

heh...I spent 4 months writing just the story and all the dialouge for the game..thehn I volunteered my art skills to Andiyar and Celchu, and I have finals coming up.....sigh so much to do...good thing I have all the time in the world for my own personal stuff πŸ™‚

------------------
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti
It's not so bad being trendy, everyone who looks like me is my friend.
Β•Reel Big Fish