AI and stuff

How intelligent can you make NPC's?
For example, can you scare enemies?
"Uh, Oh, he's got his death bow out, time to run."
Or even the more complex stuff, like taking cover in some nearby bushes? Also, what about items. Will NPC's be smart enough to use their healing potion when they are about to die.

I realize that this may not be well known info. I might just have to wait for Coldstone's release.

------------------
I'm just your average run-of-the-mill demon possessed, bloodsucking, headhunting, cold-blooded, hot-headed, pyromaniac.
My name is Legion, for we are many.

Originally posted by spitfire:
**How intelligent can you make NPC's?
Or even the more complex stuff, like taking cover in some nearby bushes? Also, what about items. Will NPC's be smart enough to use their healing potion when they are about to die.

I realize that this may not be well known info. I might just have to wait for Coldstone's release.

If I'm right, I think you can set a special event that occurs every 2 or so seconds that checks to see if the creature's/NPC's health is below, say 15%, and then checks to see if it has the item(or a variable, if they can't have items), and chooses to randomly either ignore the command, or use the healing potion if it's health is below 15% and it has it. But that's just an educated guess.

That makes sense, but it wasn't exactly what I was hoping for.
Oh, well, it'll just require a little extra work, thats all. Thanks.

------------------
I'm just your average run-of-the-mill demon possessed, bloodsucking, headhunting, cold-blooded, hot-headed, pyromaniac.

**That makes sense, but it wasn't exactly what I was hoping for.
Oh, well, it'll just require a little extra work, thats all. Thanks.

Yeah. As far as actual AI, I have no clue, but you can fake a lot of the AI that may have been left out with events, esp. on timers that check things and act according to what things are what.

Originally posted by -Mouse:
Yeah. As far as actual AI, I have no clue, but you can fake a lot of the AI that may have been left out with events, esp. on timers that check things and act according to what things are what.

...Assuming Coldstone has support for timer-based events, that is - which, I believe, has been neither confirmed nor denied yet.

But I certainly hope the final version of Coldstone has smart AIs or the ability to fake them. If all it can make is PoG-style "scream and charge" AIs, it's not going to be much use to me.

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.cjr.org/owners/aoltimewarner.asp")AOLTimeWarnerICQSportsIllustratedCNNAtlantaBravesHawksandThrashersDCComicsNetscapeHBO owns you.(/url)

If I'm right, I think you can set a special event that occurs every 2 or so seconds that checks to see if the creature's/NPC's health is below, say 15%, and then checks to see if it has the item(or a variable, if they can't have items), and chooses to randomly either ignore the command, or use the healing potion if it's health is below 15% and it has it. But that's just an educated guess.

Originally posted by chill_rx:

**correct me if i'm wrong 'index hopper' , you have no connection to the beta nor do you have an old pre-ambrosia beta....
so like someone said earlier, this is more information you pulled out **of(b) your butt.

Yup. I'm merely making educated guesses(educated by rumors and common sense, as well as a few more commonly known facts/semi-accuarate speculations. My posts have no real proof to them(unless otherwise stated), but at least I'm trying to be helpful, unlike someone.

Originally posted by -Mouse:
My posts have no real proof to them(unless otherwise stated), but at least I'm trying to be helpful, unlike someone.(/B)

I doubt posts based on wild speculation are helpful. You dont even own a machine capable of running the very stuff youre talking about. Im not trying to be a snob but most of dribble you post has no worth. It's missleading at best and confusing and/or wrong at others.

------------------
The iMac with the shiny Chrome finish.

**How intelligent can you make NPC's?

The last Coldstone beta was released to us testers some time before the release of POG. POG has features and capabilities that are new to Coldstone b4.

The clearest answer to your questions (and any other folks with queries along these lines) is simply this:

If the feature is used in POG then it is in Coldstone. If the feature is not in POG then only Dee and company know if the feature is in Coldstone. Play POG and wait for Coldstone.

Skip

(Back after a few weeks absence.)

------------------
...it wasn't me...

Originally posted by SkipMeier:
**If the feature is used in POG then it is in Coldstone. If the feature is not in POG then only Dee and company know if the feature is in Coldstone. Play POG and wait for Coldstone.

I can't. I get a wierd error whenever I try to open it. From what I've heard it's just a "scream and charge at you" thing, not actual artificial intelligence.
Hey, then again, what do I know. I haven't actually played it.

------------------

**I can't. I get a wierd error whenever I try to open it. From what I've heard it's just a "scream and charge at you" thing, not actual artificial intelligence.
Hey, then again, what do I know. I haven't actually played it.

It's really not just a scream and charge kind of thing and I don't know WHERE that came from. It's not even a big question, the monsters sometimes get scared and run when you beat them up, and they sometimes get scared and run when they see you kill someone. Everyone here wants to say that everyone else is useless and misleading and blah blah blah (I'm not talking about spitfire) when THEY themselves have no clue as to what is going on during the programming process. It especially ticks me off with the people who have only been her for a week trying to tell other people off and have no idea what they're talking about. Anyway, the monsters DO have a certain level of A.I. because I see them run all of the time and they even come back half of the time when they have more backup. I don't know or care who said that it was just a scream and charge A.I. but whoever they are, they're sorely mistaken.

(This message has been edited by Kireck L (edited 09-25-2001).)

Originally posted by Kireck L:
Everyone here wants to say that everyone else is useless and misleading and blah blah blah (I'm not talking about spitfire) when THEY themselves have no clue as to what is going on during the programming process. It especially ticks me off with the people who have only been her for a week trying to tell other people off and have no idea what they're talking about.

Ok, Since this post seems to directly refer to me. I'll explain why I do have some idea of what Im talking about. First Ive here off and on for six months (I only recently registered in light of CGE's impending release). Second, I know C++ and worked as a beta tester for EA (so I might have clue about the programing process) Third, I have enough sence not to waste everyones bandwidth and time with conjecture and missinformation.

Thank you for your concern but ~mouse/demon shows all the restraint for a 12 y/o answering almost every post from his/her vast resource no real infomation ie he/she dosnt have and has never even played POG nor does he/she have the machine capable of doing so.

oh yea I also was lucky enough get POG two days post release and now have a good feel for the game play.

------------------
The iMac with the shiny Chrome finish.

Originally posted by Kireck L:
It's really not just a scream and charge kind of thing and I don't know WHERE that came from.

Me. See my above post. 🙂

...the monsters sometimes get scared and run when you beat them up, and they sometimes get scared and run when they see you kill someone. .... Anyway, the monsters DO have a certain level of A.I. because I see them run all of the time and they even come back half of the time when they have more backup. I don't know or care who said that it was just a scream and charge A.I. but whoever they are, they're sorely mistaken.

True, the morale option is a nice touch. But that doesn't change the fact that the AI in PoG is still essentially stupid. Monsters with ranged attacks, while smart enough to stand back when they first start firing, make no effort to keep you from closing to melee distance - they'll happily fling spears and fireballs at point-blank range, rather than escaping to a safe distance and making full use of their combat advantages. Monsters make no effort to communicate or work together - if I can defeat one enemy, I can defeat a whole group of them, simply by luring them away from the group one at a time and fighting them in single combat. In some respects, monsters are extremely predictable - if one approaches me from the west, he'll always (IIRC) wind up standing to my southwest when he attacks - never due west or northwest, unless the southwest square is inaccessible. Etc. Etc.

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.cjr.org/owners/aoltimewarner.asp")AOLTimeWarnerICQSportsIllustratedCNNAtlantaBravesHawksandThrashersDCComicsNetscapeHBO owns you.(/url)

Originally posted by Glenn:
if I can defeat one enemy, I can defeat a whole group of them, simply by luring them away from the group one at a time and fighting them in single combat.

Which reminds me of (url="http://"http://www.cgonline.com/features/010925-c1-f1.html")this(/url) article. Basically every computer game out there has their own AI weaknesses (have any of you played Summoner? The AI is, I believe, dumber than in POG. Sneak up on your enemy and cast Wall of Fire and it would happily roast in the flames until it keeled over).

So take heart. AI, or the lack of it, isn't the most implemented feature in games yet.

------------------
Look at what you do!?