Game interface questions

I don't know if this has been asked yet, but here goes:

In my game once the player has reached a certain point he/she will start getting new abilities. Will there be a way to add a button to the main interface mid-game? example: a summoning button once the character is able to summon monsters.

Next, does anybody know if it will be possible to create a few different interfaces and allow the player to choose between them at any point? That way they could have a more personal experience and who knows maybe there would be some items that would add some extra interfaces. 🙂

Thanks!

------------------

hrmm. If one of those things is possible, I'm sure all of them are. but I don't know if events could be scripted to affect the interface (I'm a tester for PoG, and that issue never came up).

Another question though: I know you can add an in-game map type thing -- but can you make it an interactive map, ala Baldur's Gate? My game has a lot of ground to cover, and I don't want to do it on a real-time scale or FF style, with a proportionately mountainous character wandering the wilderness. I was hoping to make a sort of "hot-spot" map, kinda like the tramlines in EV -- it takes a certain number of days to make it from point A to point B along this line...

------------------
Do not follow me for I may not lead. Do not lead for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.
-Jedi

jmitchell- For your interactive map idea I think Coldstone's mouse navigation engine should be able to handle it. Ofcourse I'm not a beta tester, so I'm only 99% sure. 😉

Hey, i just wanted to add my little question to this thread.
If anyone's ever played RPG Maker 2000 for Playstation, or some game that was made on SNES (Kind of like the Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past) you'd notice that all the characters move the same speed all the time, and it happens to be a slow speed. (Exception is the Zelda game, except Link will only dash faster for a few moments.) Anyway, i was just curious, can you make your characters and NPC's move as fast or slow as you want? I'm hoping this is a yes, because part of my game has a race in it... It would destroy the plot to have the race crawl along, with all the contestants moving the same slow snail speed, ya know?

Oh, and i forgot to add this to my other post, sorry.

*(Okay, I KNOW i'm going to get torched to a crisp by every member of this board for asking this stupid question, but i have to have a straight answer.) I'm pretty sure it's no, but i just have to ask. SORRY!!

Okay:

I know that the whole "Parties" thing is killing everyone... Mine's a slight variation. Again, sorry for the idiocy of the question, but i'm a semi-newbie to the boards.

Can we have multiplayer options? This probably can't be answered, cuz for multiplayer you need a team of characters onscreen, but i was just hoping someone out there knew....

Maybe?? o.O

Thanx

Originally posted by Rpigi:
**Oh, and i forgot to add this to my other post, sorry.

*(Okay, I KNOW i'm going to get torched to a crisp by every member of this board for asking this stupid question, but i have to have a straight answer.) I'm pretty sure it's no, but i just have to ask. SORRY!!

Okay:

I know that the whole "Parties" thing is killing everyone... Mine's a slight variation. Again, sorry for the idiocy of the question, but i'm a semi-newbie to the boards.

Can we have multiplayer options? This probably can't be answered, cuz for multiplayer you need a team of characters onscreen, but i was just hoping someone out there knew....

If you mean multiple human players, it has already been said that there will be no multiplayer options. However, I imagine if you meant a party of the player and some NPCs, that would be doable.

------------------
-7, -6, -5, am I becoming a good guy?
redaV htraD -- "!ediS kraD eht fo rewop eht wonk t'nod uoY"
(/backspeak)(/mindless rant)

Originally posted by Rpigi:
... can you make your characters and NPC's move as fast or slow as you want?

Yes; if you'll look at the leftmost panel of (url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/custom/imagedisplay.pl?image=cs_npceditor.jpg")this betashot(/url) (though it is out of date in a few key ways), you'll see that NPCs (and the player) have a "Speed" attribute which, among other things, controls the speed at which they move around the screen. 🙂

(This message has been edited by Glenn (edited 07-01-2001).)

Originally posted by jmitchell:
Another question though: I know you can add an in-game map type thing -- but can you make it an interactive map, ala Baldur's Gate? My game has a lot of ground to cover, and I don't want to do it on a real-time scale or FF style, with a proportionately mountainous character wandering the wilderness. I was hoping to make a sort of "hot-spot" map, kinda like the tramlines in EV -- it takes a certain number of days to make it from point A to point B along this line...

If you're describing something along the lines of a map with "You Are Here", where you can click on another part of the map to move you to that location, the answer is yes. I believe that functionality has been present in Coldstone since even before Ambrosia got involved in the picture.

------------------
The secret of success is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake those, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx
Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding. - Albert Einstein
Hardy har har! Little do they know: They are ALL going to hell!! Hardy har har! - God, attributed

alright then. thankee.

------------------
Do not follow me for I may not lead. Do not lead for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.
-Jedi

As for sanko's question, whether or not you can add buttons I don't know, but I do know that spells are assigned to keys (like the number keys), so, if Coldstone requires you to use specific keys you could just not use a key for anything until the character learns the spell/ability.

atsumori

------------------

::materializes::
Albeit the question from the lurker does intrigue me, and does the other question of real time
interface updates/changes....I do not regret the following

::unsheaths the gilded club::
...And so you die,
::slays the topic wipes the excess meat from his club::
So says the Chill!
::dissapates::

------------------
Are you interested (url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/webboard/Forum48/HTML/000564.html")http://www.AmbrosiaS...TML/000564.html(/url) ...CGE:t'hePersonas '
is a collaborative rpg that will feature members of the webboard who express interest...if you're game get at me ill27rx

Please Chill, must you call us lurkers? It floats throguht the air and pinches my ears and tells my brain that it is direspect. LURKER, it feels like a racial slurr. We may not be as FORTUNATE as you all to have come early enough to register a name, but we have feelings too you know.
I also have a question, if you are saying that NPCs won't fight each other, wouldn't that mean that the main character wouldn't get ANY physical help at all? What if two people were fighting and you had to choose a side before it was too late? It'd be awful if you had to just make them animate towards eachother over and over again while their health slowly drained. (I know it's the same questione and that you all would like to run me through and karma-slap and stuff)
I just want to know, seriosly.
Is there an answer????

Ummmm... Dee, if you're out there, I have a question, and please respond!! I'm wondering how you do all of your graphics changes for your character when he gets new armor or a new weapon. I know it's simple to do a graphics change, but how do you pull off a change like a weapon in hand? You wouldn't want to change his whole graphic for every single weapon that he gets would you? And what about armor and helmets and stuff. I'm sure you didn't render every possible combination of equipment. But the question is, how do you pull that off? How do you make a character stay the same but with a sword instead of a scythe, then with chain mail instead of peasant rags. Am I making sense? Please answer me... anyone.

i would assume that the character's graphic stays the same no matter what his outfit weapon etc...what i mean, is that when he draws his weapon it's a typical sword or whatever, and he's always walking around in his peasant rags...if not, there's several ways to accomplish it...

or at least two...1) you could render out every single possible outfit/weapon for him
or 2) you could render out the section that changes...ie, his hand with a new weapon...and then in the engine, program it to appear in place of the other weapon, depending on what position he's facing etc.

------------------
Jeremy Woodruff as,
THE WHITE SHADOW

either way, it's going to be very time consuming. I have a feeling most people will just stick with one or two different renders for their characters. I'm actually trying to limit the total amount of equipment my character can have just to minimize my rendering time.

------------------
-Jedi

(QUOTE)
:materializes::
Albeit the question from the lurker does intrigue me, and does the other question of real time
interface updates/changes....I do not regret the following

::unsheaths the gilded club::
...And so you die,
::slays the topic wipes the excess meat from his club::
So says the Chill!
::dissapates::
(QUOTE/)
umm... chill, i think you need to cut back on the :: :: thingys...

------------------
(B) I AM NOT A NEWBIE!!! (B/) i am madcat, who lost her account.(B) DO NOT POO AT ME!!!! (B/}

Originally posted by bobblehat:
umm... chill, i think you need to cut back on the :: :: thingys...

I don't think that'll happen ...ever madcat, you'll either have to deal with it, or beat the ":: :: thingys" out of me in my upcoming game...
S o S ays T he C hill !

------------------
Are you interested (url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/webboard/Forum48/HTML/000564.html")http://www.AmbrosiaS...TML/000564.html(/url) ...CGE:t'hePersonas '
is a collaborative rpg that will feature members of the webboard who express interest...if you're game get at me ill27rx