Spell/ability area question

I know this may qualify as a common sense question, but once again a lot of things are hinging on the answer. Just how far can we go with spells?
What I mean is, will there be area effect spells?
If a spell involves a bolt of fire for example, if you shoot it at someone and the person moves, will it continue to follow them or will it pass them by, maybe hitting another target?(this has been asked before, sorry)
Can we summon things to help us(little animals to fight by our side, for example)?
I'm thinking no on this one, because I asked if we could have NPC's fight one another, and I think it was even Dee that said they can't in the initial release, and so therefore wouldn't a summoned critter count as an NPC and be unable to attack enemies? Maybe it could help in a different way, providing healing, etc.
Could we make enemies turn against their friends? Once again I'm thinking no on this one because of the same reason for the last one.
Can we create, say, a storm of lightning that stays in the area it was cast, and damages all enemies who enter it? It wouldn't just zap em once and then disappear, it would stay there for a while.. kinda hard to put into words. I hate to use other games's spells as examples, but like Blizzard in Diablo2, or Cloudkill in Baldur's Gate2 or even 1 I suppose.
Can we freeze enemies in one spot? paralysis, you know
well that's all, if I think of more I'll ask I guess

------------------
"..snevaR fo ycaripsnoC a.."

anyone know?

------------------
"..snevaR fo ycaripsnoC a.."

you know, you probably could but hey, it's just me. i guess you could make practically any type of spell thing, if you wanted to make all the graffics and stuff 😉

------------------
The Dursleys had not changed much in the ten years that had passed, the only thing that was different was the pictures on the wall. Before, they looked like a pink beach ball wearing different colored bobble hats.
1984 won't be like 1984

As to the summoning thing, I think there is a differece between NPCs( N on-(/B)P(/B)layer C haracters) and monsters(creatures, guards, townspeople of lesser importance, etc.). I think a summoning spell would work, but you would likely have to add a timer tag to each monster, making them die or dissapear after a certain amount of time.
If I'm wrong, someone correct me.

------------------
Go to (url="http://"http://www.magewar.com")Archmage(/url), a completely internet based strategy game. There you can play with or agenst literally thousands of other players, and they even have a spanish server, with the entire game in spanish.
Go to the (url="http://"http://yoshi.zzux.com/phpbb")unoffical EV webboards(/url).

Monsters are not player characters, so they are, by definition, NPCs.

------------------
The secret of success is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake those, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx
Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding. - Albert Einstein
Hardy har har! Little do they know: They are ALL going to hell!! Hardy har har! - God, attributed

Originally posted by Mouse:
**As to the summoning thing, I think there is a differece between NPCs( N on-**P(/B)layer C haracters) and monsters(creatures, guards, townspeople of lesser importance, etc.). I think a summoning spell would work, but you would likely have to add a timer tag to each monster, making them die or dissapear after a certain amount of time.
If I'm wrong, someone correct me.

(/B)

Like FF8

------------------
Had to change my signature , made me look like a soft punk...speaking of go cop that single By Fatlip: 'What's up FatLip'... SO SAYS THE CHILL!
I shot the sheriff the deputy and head of bank treasury, some mounties in the bounty got a big bounty stressin' me...-MosDef
Setting the record for the most replies/profile updates in a single day...the Chill!

Originally posted by chill_rx:
**Like FF8

which was a horrendous game

but I seriously doubt there is a difference. Every character in the game, be it balrog(monster) or blacksmith(villager), that you don't play as is an NPC. And it was said that NPC's cannot fight each other, so.....

------------------
Evil is as Evil does

Originally posted by Lorenoth:
**which was a horrendous game

but I seriously doubt there is a difference. Every character in the game, be it balrog(monster) or blacksmith(villager), that you don't play as is an NPC. And it was said that NPC's cannot fight each other, so.....

Everything isn't black & white (although that is a pretty good game, you should play it sometime). There are ways to get around almost anything. For example, use intense animations for a summon. Or clever scripting. Either way, don't bash any ideas until the engine is released.

Saphfire

------------------

ah yes.. black and white.. KILL THE WORSHIPPERS! (wicked cackling ensues)

------------------
" Evil cannot die.."

Originally posted by saphfire:
**For example, use intense animations for a summon. Or clever scripting. Either way, don't bash any ideas until the engine is released.

::materializes::
I kept saying it and saying it and finally some one else saw what I saw...

here's a scenario you sommon a special NPC (you could create a separate class) weither it be an eidolon mythic beast or just some other npc you defeated and is now at your disposal.

The summon is actually apart of a spell:
which creates a NPC, which in turn appears in a flashy animation ,
the animation ends and as a part of the script/events which takes place subsequent it takes a specified sum of HP away from
the target...if you can follow this you may just have an ounce of ingenuity in ya.

::concludes dropping the K-nowledge, dissapates::

------------------
€burned bridges, bruised toes and hurt feelings..3 things commonly left in my wake...
€I won't dignify that with a reply...
€I do this not out of bitter rage but out of fun... at your expense...
€Don't bother I'm not not going to read it anyway...