Curious

Personally I prefer less technical rpgs since they alow you to get into the game more emotionally instead of just sitting there cooly calculating the odds. I'm wondering if the thing is flexible to allow me to set up hearts or something to indicate health and get rid of all the numbers like in the Zelda games.

------------------
"Si hanc sententiam legere potes, tum es
et optime educatus et vitam non habens."

Technical RPG's?
Meaning...?

------------------
"How can you hope to command them? They are the Ikthey, they do not submit,"
--Talia, speaking to Wilanthor

Complex. I believe LoneIgadzra is refering to games you can get intrested in quickly, like one game I have planned, and am focusing the most of my designing time on.

------------------
Placeholder Signature

that's an intriguing approach. you'd probably want to be able to remove the green health bar from opponents, too, and change it to a certain number of hits (with a certain weapon). anyone play the old NES game "Crystalis"? Sounds remotely similar. (kinda humours how much we plug our games without even dropping hints of storyline :))

------------------

Techinical RPG: Ogre Battle or Final Fantasy Tactics. So incredibly slow, oh so much loading, oh the pain, the pain of it all.

------------------
Was it the Chad?
--------------------------------
Make sure you visit the Coldstone Hotline Server run by GlueBubble. The IP is:

Yeah but a G4 is faster than a PSX

------------------
Madman 2000 tip of the day. (more tips) (stop showing tips)

for all of those who played crystalis, it is out for gameboy.

------------------
"How can you hope to command them? They are the Ikthey, they do not submit,"
--Talia, speaking to Wilanthor

Sorry to be away from this conversation. By technical rpgs I mean anything where the artifacts consist of a set of numbers that tell you its abilities against various kinds of armor and creatures and what its chances of doing whatever it does are. Anything where your health and that of any opponents is not a bunch of numbers. Oh never mind that definition. A non-technical rpg for me has NO numbers, except your money of course. The Zelda games, particularly A Link to the Past are a perfect example. Unfortunately the last I checked Coldstone cranked out turn-based games which I find get rather boring sooner that others.

------------------

Well, as it would appear now, ColdStone is going to be a fully live-action game, where the real issue is "can we pull off turn based games?" But I understand what you're getting at (I think). Zelda is a prime example of a less "impersonal" RPG, but underneath those hearts and that pretty green magic meter are still just the same numbers being stacked up against each other: weapon hit chance vs. armor class vs. amount of life, etc, etc.

So, I guess the real question is whether or not ColdStone will allow for a graphical representation of those statistics. From all the screenshots / progress logs I've seen, it looks like the interface will be based more on numbers. But, it's still too early to tell, and I have a feeling that someone will find a work-around for almost every problem we could think, so hope is not lost for the user friendly RPG. 🙂

Best of luck to ya though.

------------------
Do not follow me for I may not lead. Do not lead for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.
-Jedi

Spiffy! I understand that there are numbers underneath Zelda, but for the most part artifacts tend to allow you to swim or go some place or lift something instead of increasing a certain stat by a certain number of points. I want to make a Coldstone game like that.

------------------

Originally posted by jmitchell:
So, I guess the real question is whether or not ColdStone will allow for a graphical representation of those statistics. From all the screenshots / progress logs I've seen, it looks like the interface will be based more on numbers. But, it's still too early to tell, and I have a feeling that someone will find a work-around for almost every problem we could think, so hope is not lost for the user friendly RPG.:)

Best of luck to ya though.

Don't make any assumptions about the interface from the pictures you see on ASW.com. Really, all RPGs have stats so in a way all RPGs are based on numbers.

------------------
Apple Computer - The name of microsoft's research and development division
--------------------------------
Make sure you visit the Coldstone Hotline Server run by GlueBubble. The IP is:

what I was sayin'

------------------
Do not follow me for I may not lead. Do not lead for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.
-Jedi