Sound Copyright

Do any of you guys know anything about sound copyrights?
Example: I have Rainbow Six, and there are a lot of cool system7 sounds in the folder, but I can't imagine that Restorm (the developer) will be happy if I "borrow" some of the sounds for my game...

Alternatively does anybody know a good place to download free sounds.
Or some good sound cd's that i can use in my game?

------------------

Originally posted by Smiley:
**Do any of you guys know anything about sound copyrights?
Example: I have Rainbow Six, and there are a lot of cool system7 sounds in the folder, but I can't imagine that Restorm (the developer) will be happy if I "borrow" some of the sounds for my game...

No, I'm sure they wouldn't be...

Try looking on a site like macmall or macwarehouse... they usually have "sound collection" CDs, although I'm not entirely sure what the license is on them.

------------------
“If a little knowledge is dangerous, where is the man who has so much as to be out of danger?” - T.H. Huxley

unless you plan to sell your game, and have it be great (sell thousands of copys) no one's gona care. Then again, the Red storm police have just pulled up outside AH1! AHHH NO!!! GEt enfjisjd!! 90ru8wfjskjfsj

@!!!!!!!

------------------
Your Cleave <<| |@_#&!!cruSICfies!!?_| |>> the addictive MUD!

R6 is for the Mac as well? Cool.

------------------
I`m a bomb technician. If you see me running...try to keep up.

Personally, I'm not for copying. I mean, if you want to sell something, you want it to make you famous, not the people who did the work for you. You want to be responsible for the massive greatness of your game.

-cybergnu

------------------

It's always better to play it safe. Unfortunately, good sounds are hard to find or make. If you can't find any for free online, just email anyone who made a shareware game with decent sound effects. Shareware people are, by nature, cool, and I think a lot of them would let you borrow some sounds. They would probably at least give you some advice on how to make sounds: They would, of course, either be able to tell you how they made their sfx or tell you where they got them. Be sure to mention anyone that helps in the credits though!

------------------
"Don't blame me, I voted with the majority!"

There are a lot of good softwares out there. I think that someone had a thread on this. I would recommend getting yourself a good sound effects microphone, and making your own by finding a good sound in the real world and recording it. If a sound doesn't appeal to you enough to make you want to record it, then don't. You always want to get the best goods out there in your program, to make the best program there is. Find a program whose sound effects you admire and think about how they did them. However, never copy from other people, unless you give them credit. I'm no good at creating sound effects, but if I make a game with Coldstone, that game is going to have sound effects that I made and I can take the credit/blame for.

-cybergnu

------------------

ok if I were you, I'd go and buy a copy of DOOM, if I didn't already have one, and steal the sounds out of that. In DOOM II in the very last level some of you may recall the cool "fireball" noise that was played whenever a box containing a monster was spewed out of that wierd wall demon. I have heard that sound in so many places it's not even right, so if "they" can do it and make money, why can't you?
If you want to hear that noise rent that one Jim Carrey Movie where his life is a big TV show and he doesn't know it, I forget the name. Now in the part where he's driving away from the island with his "wife" and the fire shoots across the road you will hear the doom noise of the monster boxes being fired at you. Also, remember the pig noises in Warcraft 2 when u clicked on an orc farm? well those noises are in some movies, if I could only remember.... Sound Copyright seems to be pretty avoidable, you can either slightly change the sounds(not that I do, of course 😉 ) or just make your own. I personally am gonna find some sort of software that just lets me write music, not print it out, and then it plays it for me(they are so hard to find, if you find one for free that actually works for a G3 mac just email wingedproclaiming@yahoo.com I really need to know, and it doesn't have to be free, I just need to know) then I'll write my own music.

THE TRUMAN SHOW!! THAT'S WHAT IT IS!!!!

------------------
Yeah I'm confused by
this signature thing...
Lorenoth? right...

I can't say I agree with the Truman show/Doom sfx stealing plan. They both don't seem great on a moral level, and won't be too good on a practical level either. First off, a lot of people are likely going to get similar sounds from similar sources if the case of Doom. In the case of the Truman Show, there would be a little bit of background noise while those explosions are going on, and when you cut off the sound recording it would probably sound unnatural and abrupt. My advice is the same as cybergnu's: Get a mic and make your own. Cartoon sites/shareware programmers might have advice on how to get the best sounds.

------------------
"Well you know that it's a fool who playes it cool by making his world a little colder."

slacker i wasn't suggesting doing that, I mean that IS immoral, and I'm a moral kinda guy, sometimes, maybe...
I was just using that as an example of sound stealing.
oh and about that slightly changing the sound, well that's about as illegal as it gets in the sound business so I'm gonna go with old Gnuey boy and make my own sounds(everyone plug their ears)

------------------
Yeah I'm confused by
this signature thing...
Lorenoth? right...

I don't know how much this would happen with a good mic, but does anyone know any audio editing that get rid of that static sound? Preferably cheap. Having recorded sounds instead of cheap midi stuff might slow up the game performance too...Come to think of it I'm only fairly sure you can use wav/mp3 for small sound effects...Unfortunately in the area of sound I have more questions than answers. I advise people, if sound recording is a viable option, which I think it is, to be creative. Sounds that sound like everyone elses' would add more to the sense some might have that all Coldstone games are the same. Ex, if you have a good old swords and sorcery game, make some enemies/characters with blunt instruments and throw in a couple kinda campy and greusome gore sound effects of the impact. Nobody's more bored of games where all you hear is "swooof-gtch" every time you or an enemy attacks than me...

------------------
"Well you know that it's a fool who playes it cool by making his world a little colder."

GNUEY BOY!?!??!?!?! GNUEY BOY?!??!??!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?

Lorenoth: a good software for playback of music and composition for macs is easy beat from uni software plus. You can download a demo at unisoftwareplus.com

-cybergnu

the gnuey boy

(should I make that my .sig?)

------------------

Originally posted by cybergnu:
the gnuey boy

(should I make that my .sig?)

Yes. 🙂

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/webboard/Forum10/HTML/001524.html")The Tides of War(/url)
(url="http://"http://www.ohhla.com")The Original Hip-Hop Lyrics Archive(/url)
Hip Hop Recomendation of the week: The Art of Xen
------------------

(quote)Originally posted by the Necromicon:
**Yes.:D

------------------
"Bond, GlueBubble Bond."

Originally posted by Smiley:
**Do any of you guys know anything about sound copyrights?

If you have a mac, I can send you a sound program that allows you to edit sounds you record, and make them sound like almost anything. If you want it, just e-mail me at:

iMedia@secretagentbob.com

(And NO this is not Warez, it's a free program that you can download from the AOL file library)

------------------
---------------------
I am the Walrus, Goo Goo G' joob

While there are definately less resource-intensive options, Pro Tools can be a great sound-design tool as well. It has a per-channel envelope editor (kind of like a guy holding the volume knob for you and turning it up and down on demand) and with some creative use of multiple tracks and volume editing, you could quickly fade between, say, samples you recorded at the zoo of an orangutang, and a funky bird, which you could combine into a powerful screech (the dinosaur whines from Jurassic Park were a combination of a dolpin and a sea otter).

While Pro Tools doesn't have the abundance of free effects for it that Cubase/Logic/other VST apps have, I do believe the free version comes with a basic delay (echo) unit, pitch-time stretching, and sound reversal. You can do a lot with those effects and some creative recording.

I can post some examples of sounds I've created with these methods, and an explanation of how they're done, if there's enough demand. There's no 'step by step' process for creating sound effects, but I can give people plenty of ideas to try...

------------------
--You notice that you have been turned into a pile of ashes.

Yeah, Pro Tools is a great software. I'm reading up right now on FreeStyle, and it sounds pretty good too.

Get whatever pleases you.

P.S. Look at my .sig.

-cybergnu

------------------
"The Gnuey Boy"

Originally posted by sanehatter:

I can post some examples of sounds I've created with these methods, and an explanation of how they're done, if there's enough demand. There's no 'step by step' process for creating sound effects, but I can give people plenty of ideas to try...

I think we're all interested. 🙂

------------------
"Bond, GlueBubble Bond."

Originally posted by sanehatter:
**I can post some examples of sounds I've created with these methods, and an explanation of how they're done, if there's enough demand. There's no 'step by step' process for creating sound effects, but I can give people plenty of ideas to try...

Nice nice nice.

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/webboard/Forum10/HTML/001524.html")The Tides of War(/url)
(url="http://"http://www.ohhla.com")The Original Hip-Hop Lyrics Archive(/url)
Hip Hop Recomendation of the week: The Art of Xen
------------------