U of Graphics

sanehatter: I must say I've learned more information from your posts than about 100 other people I know on these boards combined.

If you have the time, i suggest you read up on EV/EVO/EVN and hang around the developers board there. Your advice can be of extreme value to some.

Just a suggestion.

Also, you've mentioned bryce a few times, I was wondering if you could give a little information on Bryce 2 regarding the current version (i.e. would it be more benificial for someone like me, a person with relatively little graphics making experience, to simply use the free version than actual spend some dough and get the current version?)

Thanks in advance.

Scurvy, check you email, I sent you a message regarding Bryce...

------------------

I actually never upgraded past Bryce 3, and I haven't even fired it up for almost a year to boot; I do know that newer versions allow animation and greater texturing capabilites. To my knowledge, the modeller hasn't changed. I know Corel owns it now, and well, I've never really liked Corel, so I don't think I'm going to bother getting back into Bryce.

For the uninitiated, Bryce is a landscape modelling/rendering program. It has one of the best sky renderers available for under $5K. One of the great things about it is that is extremely easy to learn and make fun stuff with right away, but allows you to get really into what you're doing and make some rather spectacular stuff. Most software with such a low learning curve tends to impose much stricter limitations on what you can do with it.

Note that one of Eric Wagner's (the guy who originally wrote Bryce) other programs, Metasynth ( (url="http://"http://www.metasynth.com")http://www.metasynth.com(/url) ), is a big favorite of mine as well. You can do some really neat stuff with it right out of the box, but if you spend some time probing it's depths it can actually do just about any type of audio synthesis you can imagine (I wrote a speech synthesizer for it in the form of a typeface).

Regarding EV, I actually played it quite a bit when it came out. I think I still have my reg code around here somewhere. I wrote a simple plugin, but was kind of irked to find it under the 'cheats' section. Oh well. I downloaded it and immediately noticed that my spelling has improved over the past two years. ๐Ÿ™‚ I'd take up your offer to go hang out on the board, but...

The assignment I have at this place that doesn't have me doing a whole lot (which is why I've had the time to write these longer posts) is ending later this week, and I've got some time to myself again, so you may not see me for a while.

But when you do, I might have music and mocked up screenshots and a full-on promo website for my first CS effort, a horror game tentatively titled 'Hideaway.' This isn't "Kill the endless Zombies" horror, either, this is more along the lines of HP Lovecraft and Orson Welles... setting the mood properly is the key to pulling it off and this is one of the reasons I want to write my own music.

------------------
--You notice that you have been turned into a pile of ashes.

(This message has been edited by sanehatter (edited 12-06-2000).)

Originally posted by Comrade Kalle:
**Download Strata 3d!
Itยดs free! www.strata.com **

No it's not. I went there, download it, tried it, and it says I have to register to use it!

------------------

Originally posted by Nova6:
**No it's not. I went there, download it, tried it, and it says I have to register to use it!

Strata3D is free. They just want your e-mail address and stuff.

------------------
"Today, young men on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; that we are all one conciousness experiencing itself subjectively; that there's no such thing as death, life is only a dream in which imagination is ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather."
------------------

Originally posted by skyblade:
**Strata3D is free. They just want your e-mail address and stuff.

No, no, no, I gave them my e-mail address and stuff. When I tried out the PROGRAM it said that I need to register.

------------------

Registration is free too - just follow the instructions it gives you. ๐Ÿ™‚

------------------
ย“If a little knowledge is dangerous, where is the man who has so much as to be out of danger?ย” - T.H. Huxley

Nova, dont bother with Strata, get Bryce...email me and i may be able to hook you up with a copy on the cheap

------------------

I ask a quick question about Bryce in the comments on your picture....I'd love an answer. Thanks!

------------------
"Bond, GlueBubble Bond."

Wow... Sounds like a couple of serious animators are in here (even if they don't actually use 3D for a living).

I repeat: Photoshop experience. I know dozens of tricks, some I picked up on the web, some I figured out myself, some I got from a web design class. Oh, and if you have Freehand, Flash is an awesome program for creating vector animation. 'Course, CSGE may not even support that type of image.

Where can I get AM? From what I've heard, I want to check it out (3D Studio Max, the Industry Standard for animation, is way out of my price range). Metaphorically speaking, if imagination were pitted against knowledge, my knowledge would be eating my imagination's dust...

Originally posted by Glenn:
**Registration is free too - just follow the instructions it gives you.:)

Have you registered it yourself?

-Nova6

------------------

Originally posted by Supersonic:
**Nova, dont bother with Strata, get Bryce...email me and i may be able to hook you up with a copy on the cheap

I want Strata. It's free! ๐Ÿ˜„

------------------

no, no, you dont u n d e r s a n d about Bryce.......winkwink knudgeknudge, trust me........email me and you will get the scoop

------------------

**no, no, you dont u n d e r s t a n d about Bryce, winkwink knudgeknudge.......trust me...email me and you will get the scoop

Is it free?

-Nova6

------------------

email me.

------------------

**email me.

I did.

------------------

coughpiratingsoftwareisbadcough

i NEVER said anything about pirating software, you notice.

------------------

gettin bryce cheap? i'll email you too!

------------------
Zelda rules, and you all know it.
~Nick

Glenn, you didn't answer my question.

------------------