which is better?

Which is better EV or ares?
BTW: I'm back.

------------------
I CAME ,I SAW ,I CONQUERED

Ares has a superior rendering engine and a superior AI. It has superior weapons effects and Superior ship effects.

EV, however, is more expandable and more popular.

Actually, Ares is now expandable. It's just that the editor is considerabley more difficult than EV-Edit. This has the effect of shunning people away who don't have the time/talent/patience for the editor. On the other hand though, this will result in very few pathetic cheater plugs.

So the only thing EV/O has giong for it that Ares dosen't is the ability to customize your ship and go where you want. They're equally good in my book.

------------------
Throughout their history these "unenlightened" beings have continually opposed and fought abuses of power wrought by their own bretheren. We, as the prophets would do well to learn from these Humans.
-Final statement of the Salrilian reformist Sirthis shortly before his execution.

Ahem, that's wrong. There is an "alter" event in which you can change the pulse, beam, or special weapon. You can also configure jumpgates with about a week of patience, only the astrogation might be a little hard for the player. EV/O has the ability to contain more than 3 weapons, that's all.

------------------
"If so, then how does one count to 10 on the Mac?"
"128, 127, 126, 125..."
-Pallas Athene, Member of the Obish Consensus

but with EV:3 coming out, who's to say that Ares will last past that? I hope it does, since EV doesn't offer the same gameplay that Ares does. (which I like better)

I says they're both equal. But the newest EVO killed Needles, SADs, and Suities! I don't like that. Now I'm stuck with Dispies, which are not as fun. :frown: Although they're still both about as good.

------------------
"I can ail what cures you."

Personally, I like them both.

Strategy is not a part of EV (Do not confuse skill with strategic ability!).

Customisation is not a part of Ares.

That's all there is to it.

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only

Ares Webboard Moderator, and all-around Nice Guy

I think that Ares' engine is vastly superior, considering I can run it full speed on my 33Mhz 68040 Mac, but EV/O is quite slow. In gameplay, I like Ares a bit better, due to the fact that you are constantly fighting, no trading, and you dont have to but bigger ships. Also I think the graphics are about the same.

------------------
Long Live Apple! Long Live the Mac!

They are both by Ambrosia, therefore, they are both Very very good. So good that it does not matter which is beter. I like them both.

------------------
Now we can all rejoice because Hera is here!