What kind of computer do you run Defcon on?

I play Defcon on two computers-a 2.0 GHz MacBook w/2GB of RAM, and a 2.66 GHz Mac Pro w/4GB of RAM.

2.2Ghz MacBook with 4GB of RAM.

The computers which are mine which are also capable of running DEFCON (I have left off the KayPro, the Mac II, and the Yosemite G3):

nausicaa -- 15" Aluminum PowerBook, 1 Ghz G4, 1 GB RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 w/ 64 MB VRAM, running OS X 10.5.2
aeolus -- MacBook Air, 1.8 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, Intel GMA X3100 w/ 144 MB VRAM (shared with main RAM), running OS X 10.5.2

Occasionally I use my wife's work machine, which is a Gateway POS:

atropos -- Gateway E4300, 2x 3Ghz Pentium 4, 502 MB RAM, Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family w/ 64 MB VRAM, running Windows XP SP2

Of the three, the MBA does the best jorb.

xander

1.66 core duo mac mini with 1gb of RAM

@darwinian, on Mar 29 2008, 04:22 PM, said in What kind of computer do you run Defcon on?:

Of the three, the MBA does the best jorb.

xander

Do you have the SSD or PATA drive?

@mackilroy, on Mar 30 2008, 05:39 AM, said in What kind of computer do you run Defcon on?:

Do you have the SSD or PATA drive?

SSD. I should have mentioned that.

xander

400MHz G3 iMac w/512 MB SDRAM

Funny, it said G4 or better....

Dual 2 GHz G5 with 4.5 GB RAM.

First-gen 2Ghz Core Duo iMac w/ 1GB of RAM.

Dual 2.7 Ghz Powermac G5, 2.5 GB RAM, ATI Radeon X800 XT.

Capable, but don't play it much on this machine: 1.83 Ghz MacBook (32-bit), 1 GB RAM, Intel GMA 950.

@mackilroy, on Mar 29 2008, 09:34 PM, said in What kind of computer do you run Defcon on?:

I play Defcon on two computers-a 2.0 GHz MacBook w/2GB of RAM, and a 2.66 GHz Mac Pro w/4GB of RAM.

You know what I do almost each time when I play "Defcon"? I nuke the USA to the stone age with the Sovjets. I do just the only right thing they should have done during the Cold War.

@mad-max, on Jul 19 2008, 05:37 PM, said in What kind of computer do you run Defcon on?:

You know what I do almost each time when I play "Defcon"? I nuke the USA to the stone age with the Sovjets. I do just the only right thing they should have done during the Cold War.

While a NUTS (Nuclear Utilization Target Selection) strategy may have been a viable option in the early part of the Cold War by the American side when they had clear superiority, at no point did the USSR have such a strategic advantage. Even though such incidents like the Cuban Missile Crisis may have created opportunities for the Soviets to conduct a successful first strike, MAD (Mutual Assured Destruction) was well in place by then. While you may believe the Soviets should have sent their bombers to attack the United States, I think you're overlooking the rather extensive early warning systems and air defenses in place by both powers at that point in history. At best, the USSR could have effectively ended the world, but I don't think this is an optimal result for anybody. As such, your proposed historical suggestion is at best folly, and at worst purposefully ignorant. I suggest you research the Cold War in greater depth before making further hypotheticals.

Also, this topic is about the computer hardware in use by Defcon players in the community. I suggest you take any additional historical strategy proposals to a new topic, or perhaps a different website.

Finally, this topic is more than a few months old. Had you contributed to the topic in a more meaningful and on-topic way, I would have no problem with this. However, it appears you have little interest in continuing the discussion in this topic, so I will lock it to prevent further divergence.