GTW round IV

Well, Round III has ended with the dictators again achieving victory. As in real life, our little UN loses most of the time. 😉 So, shall we try again? Wait for more people this time, and possibly add/change roles?

Post here if you'd like to play.

I'll play

I'm up for another round (or twenty).

I'm in for round 4.

I'm in, and I would be happy to run it. As to other roles, there are tons that could be added, but we really need more players to make that happen. If we can get, say, 10 players, we can through in an additional evil dictator, and a guardian angel (super power w/ missile shield), or vigilante (rouge nuclear power).

xander

I was hoping for at least 12, because last game two people who played two rounds ago didn't play last round. And we might pick up some other people.

I think the game, as it is right now, is extremely biased toward evil dictators because of how fast-paced the game has been played, which limits dialogue and gives less opportunity for dictators to slip up. Having such short days is unnecessary because of how few players we have, anyway. I think it would be more balanced if we tried a game with no voting deadlines.

This post has been edited by Mispeled : 28 July 2007 - 08:11 PM

I'll give this round a shot.

@mispeled, on Jul 29 2007, 01:11 AM, said in GTW round IV:

I think the game, as it is right now, is extremely biased toward evil dictators because of how fast-paced the game has been played, which limits dialogue and gives less opportunity for dictators to slip up. Having such short days is unnecessary because of how few players we have, anyway. I think it would be more balanced if we tried a game with no voting deadlines.

There are two ways of approaching the game -- wait until everyone has voted and call it, or wait for a deadline. If you call it when everyone has voted, people don't have a chance to change their votes at the last minute, because that last minute could occur at any time. You also have the problem of a round continuing indefinitely, waiting for one or two people to vote. In general, I think that each round of voting should last 24 hours, with 6 hours in between. This gives plenty of time for discussion, and ensures that everyone knows when the deadline is to vote, for last minute voting or vote changing. That being said, it is really up to whoever is running the game. Revealing roles upon death is the same kind of thing (though that gives the advantage to the UN, rather than the dictators).

xander

I've played before where a lynch only happens once a majority is reached, no matter how many people are voting, and votes may be retracted or changed. So if there's something where the votes are 3-3-1, there isn't a tiebreaker vote or anything, but as soon as someone changes a vote to make one of the counts 4, the round immediately ends (once 4 votes are reached, no one can change or retract a vote).

Sometimes first days can last for weeks, however. I don't think such a drastic system is needed, but longer days would definitely make the game more interesting and more challenging for evil dictators. The problem with a 24 hour day is that if one person posts at the middle of a round, then a second person in a different time zone responds to them, the first person might not get a chance to respond back before the round ends. Maybe we could try a 48 hour day for the next round?

This post has been edited by Mispeled : 28 July 2007 - 09:23 PM

I see no problems with a longer day, as long as we all have a method of communicating. Perhaps someone should be responsible (maybe the GM) for contacting those who haven't PMed? Specifically responsible, that is. Sure, I did it and xander did too, but it wasn't defined. Just a reminder of who is left to vote for, when the voting ends for that day and such?

I'll play or host.

Oh, I forgot to say that I'd play.

bump Anyone else want to sign up to play?

We'll need to confirm a host, too.

@mackilroy, on Jul 31 2007, 02:05 AM, said in GTW round IV:

bump Anyone else want to sign up to play?

We'll need to confirm a host, too.

Actually, I have to withdraw my name. An impromptu vacation just fell into my lap and internet access is going to be intermittant at best. Sorry. I may be back in a few days, may be a week from now.

I'm down for another round, and I think slightly longer days would be better. Generally I come online daily, but there are times when I just don't feel like going on the internet that day. It would be nice to not always have the deadline looming.

Gutless: oh well.

rebelswin_85: Yeah, I can understand that. I don't think any of us would have a problem with longer days.

Eh, actually I just realized I might not be able to play, either. Assuming the game starts tomorrow at the earliest, with 48 hour days, that would mean that the earliest it could end would be Sunday, if night only took a few hours each time. I happen to be leaving for band camp (meaning no internet access) on Sunday morning. So it looks like I'm not going to be able to play next round, either.

Just a heads-up, I'll be gone all weekend.

If it's not too late, I'd be interested.