darthkev's First Sketchmap

All future maps will be listed here, too.

Well, it's finished. And in only one day, too! Well, I built it in a day, but it took an extra day to be approved, but no worries.

You can find it in the add-ons page for Sketchfighter or simply click here. Either way, you'll get to play my first sketchmap, CommandoSketch!

I realize in my excitement over making a sketchmap, I forgot to write a documentation. However, this map is pretty straightforward so I don't think it needs one. On the other hand, if you are stuck, just send me an e-mail asking for help. Make sure to put 'Sketchfighter' in the subject.

You can send an e-mail by clicking on this e-mail address: darthk3v1@gmail.com

Or, if that doesn't work, just send to darthk3v1@gmail.com.

Thank you, and enjoy!

This post has been edited by darthkev : 17 September 2009 - 12:16 PM

Sorry, what was that? I could have sworn you said that sketchmaps have documentation.
I will play it as soon a possible.

-K

Nice level. šŸ™‚

A few suggestions, if you don't mind:

1. It looks like you need (at least with the blue, anyway) to add all of the correct colors to the color picker. (I'm not sure if you'd done this deliberately, but my guess is that you hadn't simply because you weren't quite sure how to add them.) So, open the SampleLevel.SketchMap and click and drag each of the reference colors into one of the little boxes at the bottom of the color picker window.

2. This door needs to have the same Extra2 value as the switch (not just the same name), and said switch needs to be on the other side, methinks.

3. You can make it so this turret is indestructible by making each of those walls Enemy (3) instead of Not solid (0). In other words, the turret's bullets will pass through but the player's bullets will not. (Then again, it's more than fine the way it is now. I just think it's a little odd to have walls that both the player and enemies can fly through.)

In the future, you might want to hold off on submitting a particular level until you've posted a beta of it on the boards. That way people can catch any possible mistakes (everyone usually has at least one or two) or simply make comments or suggestions that you may find helpful. Sure, you can always add a newer version to the add-ons page, but that can get a little confusing.

This post has been edited by Lamkin : 17 September 2009 - 03:03 PM

Sorry, Lamkin, but there are no mistakes in this level. To get past the first door, you need to look around for a hidden weapon. And as for the Extra 2 value, the door works fine for me the way it is.

The turret with the walls around it isn't supposed to be indestructible. The walls are just there to look like a turret housing. I originally wanted to do what you suggested (and yes, I already figured out how) but later decided it wasn't needed.

The colors are the way they are because I didn't want my level to look exactly like the normal Sketchfighter levels. I simply picked my own shades for the colors.

Now, shrink your head, and try playing the level the way I intended it to be played. šŸ˜‰

This post has been edited by darthkev : 17 September 2009 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE (darthkev @ Sep 17 2009, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now, shrink your head, and try playing the level the way I intended it to be played. šŸ˜‰

Whoa, that was a little uncalled for, even if you were teasing. šŸ˜® :mad:
You were right about the Extra2 value not being necessary.
You've given no indication that a wave gun exists, and, from what I've come across in other posts regarding others' levels, people aren't too fond of randomly bumping into walls to see if they can find a hidden upgrade, although I'll admit that the area where you'd need to search is quite small and I had tried to find something the first time I'd played it.
Oh, and since you've said that there are no mistakes, I can only assume that this also isn't a mistake and is therefore intentional:

This post has been edited by Lamkin : 17 September 2009 - 06:20 PM

That wasn't there when I made the level, and it's still not there when I play it. I don't know what happened, but that is not my doing.

And I apologize for my earlier statement. I didn't realize you were going to take so much offense. You said yourself you get bigheaded. It was intended as a jibe, joke, whatever term you prefer. That's why I put the winking smiley.

This post has been edited by darthkev : 17 September 2009 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE (darthkev @ Sep 17 2009, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That wasn't there when I made the level, and it's still not there when I play it. I don't know what happened, but that is not my doing.

It's there, I believe, because you'd forgotten to give 0 as the Extra1 value for each one of those black boxes, so they can be destroyed by the wave gun.
Also, all of the big fliers and a few of the blobs on either side of those red doors can be destroyed with the wave gun without triggering and 'opening' those red doors. Is this intentional?

QUOTE (darthkev @ Sep 17 2009, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And I apologize for my earlier statement. I didn't realize you were going to take so much offense. You said yourself you get bigheaded. It was intended as a jibe, joke, whatever term you prefer. That's why I put the winking smiley.

I don't believe I'd said that I ever get bigheaded, although I had implied that I may sometimes inadvertently sound as if I were.
sigh
Admittedly, I'm perhaps a little too eager to help at times, but I had tried to choose my words carefully and not just presume that you didn't already know those specific things that I was telling you about the editor.
Hmm...
In the future, I'll work on clarifying things a bit more before responding.

This post has been edited by Lamkin : 17 September 2009 - 08:13 PM

Now I see what you mean with the boxes. In that case, that was a mistake. I missed that. As for creatures being killed before you open the door, yes, it's intentional. I know it takes a lot of the challenge away, but I figured I'd already been cruel enough with the rest of the level, so there was no need to add more difficulty.

However, I will take your suggestions into consideration and make changes accordingly. After all, it is my first Sketchmap, there are bound to be a few mistakes. I just thought I'd gotten them all. I usually just make EVN Plug-ins, not Sketchmaps.

Are there any other ideas for improvement anyone would like to add in before I upload a revised version?

I think both of you need to chill and take several steps back, this is getting too heated.
Lamkin, you started to get nasty there, and Kev, you really need to accept criticism graciously, say thanks, I meant it to be that way, not, this is how it's supposed to be, play it my way. If people come across this in a while, who knows if their going to play it your way, they might find all sorts of things that were wrong with your level.
As I said, take a step back and chill. As long as I'm here, I'm going to do my best to keep the peace.

No mistakes...

Just to say, there are always mistakes on a first release, it's never perfect.
I will play it sometime, I'm just not finding time (In between Nova, Runescape, and BZFlag I can't wedge skf in) šŸ˜‰

-K

EDIT: Ok, now I played the level. Very good for a first, it was fast, but I had fun doing it. The Boxes outside of the boss room for the lights do explode, but other than that, it was easy. I especially like the hidden area, I won't say how, but my areas in all my levels from now on are going to be much harder to find. (Something to do with shooting :p)

This post has been edited by Kasofa1 : 18 September 2009 - 11:59 AM

Thanks, Kasofa, and as you can see, I'm already trying to do that. šŸ™‚

I'm already looking through to find and fix the mistakes Lamkin pointed out. Now, Kasofa, do you have any bugs to report, or any suggestions on how to improve it? I'm starting to think it would be nice if my first Sketchmap became a group effort. šŸ™‚

This post has been edited by darthkev : 18 September 2009 - 12:01 PM

A possible bug: The boss appears to have several triple-turrets mounted on him. The wave gun destroys them.

Kasofa1:Just to say, there are always mistakes on a first release, it's never perfect.

I don't think you were on the boards yet when I made Overgrown Factory. It's like on page 5 or thereabouts. Man, that was a while back...

EDIT: Oh, you were. Sorry!

This post has been edited by Sidepipe : 19 September 2009 - 12:04 AM

It's beginning to seem that most of the problems are caused by the wave gun. Perhaps I should remove it?

Also, I'm thinking of making the level larger, maybe making the Treasure Room more of a challenge instead of just a room. I'd also like to make the boss stronger.

I'm still making changes, but I don't want to release anything until I feel it's 'good.' When that time comes, I'll post a version here and, once I've made the final version, I'll upload that.

Thanks, everyone, for all the help with bug reports. Otherwise it just would've become a buggy failure.

Alright, here's an updated version. Some changes:

ā€¢ The wave gun has been removed and the switch it was for has been also moved to the other side of the door.
ā€¢ The colors have all been set to what they normally are in Sketchfighter.
ā€¢ I've given the player a beam gun at the start as well as the pellet gun.
ā€¢ The turret at the main entrance (the one in the housing) has been made more of a challenge. It's not indestructible, but you must take out the housing before you can hit the turret now.
ā€¢ The Treasure Room is now a long hallway guarded by a few bugs and automated defenses. There are still three stars inside.

Please try it out and tell me what you think. There is no ReadMe but, if this turns out to be the final version, I'll write one and upload it with this version.

This post has been edited by darthkev : 24 September 2009 - 11:11 PM

I think you could keep the wave gun, you just need to make things that you don't want to be able to destroy have EX1 of 0. Changes are good, changes are good.

@Sidepipe, yes I think I joined right around the time you made that level. It was quite good, you might want to look into finishing it?

-K

EDIT: w0000t! I'm a Tiga!
I am a tiga, hear me roar!

This post has been edited by Kasofa1 : 21 September 2009 - 01:14 PM

What's a 'tiga'? Oh well.

Nah, I think I'll keep the wave gun out. Otherwise it's too easy to kill enemies behind doors before opening them. Laaaame. Do you think this could be a final version? Even if you say yes, I won't upload it until I've gotten some more feedback.

Oh, and how's Radioactive City coming along? I played what you've got so far and it seems pretty good. A few bugs here and there, but nothing that hasn't already been mentioned. Though the Boss seems a bit too tough to me. Then again, I'm not a very good pilot.

A Tiga is someone who has 400-999 posts. At 1000, you can edit the subtitle.

Actually, Radioactive City is supposed to be finished, what are the bugs? I might be able to fix them.
I thought that I had gotten them all, but anything I can do to improve it would be wonderful. Although, I do need to download it, the computer it's on is dead for the moment.

-K

Ohhh, I think that I didn't publish the final version. It's still collecting dust on my old hard drive (and my dad's out of state until Saturday) so I guess it's just not finished and will remain so until I get it off of my old drive.
Shoot.

This post has been edited by Kasofa1 : 23 September 2009 - 07:43 PM

That's quite alright, Kasofa. Once you upload it, I'll play it.

Well it's beginning to look like no one has anything more to say about my first Sketchmap, so I'll write a ReadMe/Walkthrough and upload it ASAP.

Unless, of course, someone does have something to say?

_ Edit:_ Oh, and soon I'll post a beta version of my next Sketchmap here, so keep an eye out.

This post has been edited by darthkev : 23 September 2009 - 08:40 PM

QUOTE (Kasofa1 @ Sep 18 2009, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lamkin, you started to get nasty there,

Lam nasty? LOL! Yeah, when the clock strikes less than once. Lam's just about the nicest person on the internet, and his responses were perfectly fair and good natured.

I can't play the level Kev as I don't have SKF on this computer, but the screens look awesome. šŸ™‚