TBSE voting

Who has made the best level?

Poll: who made the best level? (11 member(s) have cast votes)
Who made the best level?
Klublex
(2 votes [18.18%])
Percentage of vote: 18.18%
Kasofa1
(1 votes [9.09%])
Percentage of vote: 9.09%
Lamkin
(2 votes [18.18%])
Percentage of vote: 18.18%
PiSketch
(6 votes [54.55%])
Percentage of vote: 54.55%

well, the contest is over, and the entries will be put up.
and now, finally, we will see who is the SketchMapper ExtraodinareΒ™!

Attached File Contest_Entries.zip (97.97K)
Number of downloads: 15

Let The Voting Begin!

-K

Yah!

Dang, it was close. (I didn't vote for myself.) Klublex, Kasofa, and Pi all did an excellent job considering the limited area.
Perhaps we could resurrect this awesome concept next summer when people have a little more time on their hands. πŸ˜‰

By the way, if you're having trouble completing Experiments from Planet X , I advise you read the ReadMe, Hints, Tips, and Other Secrets because there are a lot of tricky secrets in my level, and I would like people to finish it. (It has a really cool ending, I think) My level is meant to be quite challenging, so you just ask me here on the web board if you have any questions with it. If you don't want to take the time to read Hint, Tips, and Other Secrets here is the way to destroy the Octopus Mini Boss:

Spoiler

There is an invisible wall on the top of the Octopus which you must destroy first. When you see it explode shoot it's mouth through the tentacles.

Note that the Mini Boss itself has only 15 health.

Well, I must say, quite an interesting set of levels...

Congratulations to all contestants! Here's my vote:

Kasofa's: I liked the story line, it was pretty fun. It was a little on the easy side for me, but still pretty good.

Klublex's: Yes, it's mine. Automatic Brownie Points After 2 weeks of putting in detail and work, combining it with a story line, (kind of) and inventing new "Experiments" I think it's pretty great. (Yes, I know I'm being selfish πŸ™‚ )

Lamkin's: One of my favorites. Personally, I don't think it played terribly at all. After trying a couple of times, I realize how time-consuming and hard it is to make that kind of detail. It's definetly up there on my list of greats.

PiSketch's: Amazing, as usual. Very interesting effects, I must say. I especially liked the ending. πŸ™‚ My only critical comment is just one of opinion, it was a little too rushed for my tastes.

All in all, amazing levels. I agree with Lamkin that we should do another of these contests. I would say that Experiments from Planet X is my first pick, with Pac-Man and PiSketch's Best Sketchmap Ever a hair behind.

-Klublex

@klublex, on Oct 4 2008, 11:06 AM, said in TBSE voting:

Klublex's: Yes, it's mine. Automatic Brownie Points After 2 weeks of putting in detail and work, combining it with a story line, (kind of) and inventing new "Experiments" I think it's pretty great. (Yes, I know I'm being selfish πŸ™‚ )

Lamkin's: One of my favorites. Personally, I don't think it played terribly at all. After trying a couple of times, I realize how time-consuming and hard it is to make that kind of detail. It's definetly up there on my list of greats.

Thanks for the compliment regarding Pac-Man. Designing it was gruelingly painstaking, so it's nice to have someone appreciate the effort. (I had to twist my own arm to finish it.) πŸ™‚
I actually quite liked Kasofa's level, and that awesome border kind of blew me away.
Klublex, you're level was very cool, and I especially liked the colorful "explosion" at the beginning, which is not to say it was the only highlight. If I could have given you and Pi a tie, I would have. πŸ˜‰
I loved Pi's "killer gate" thingamabob, and the disorienting beginning :huh: was unprecedented.

P.S. I think you'll enjoy my newest level, Smashing Pumpkins. I'll be updating (and uploading) it every now and then, so watch for that if you wish.

@klublex, on Oct 4 2008, 08:06 PM, said in TBSE voting:

Ahm, a question posed by someone not as active as you all: After defeating the Octopus mini-boss, what are you supposed to do then? I think I shot at more or less everything with every colour, but still no clue.

If you were talking about the border of dark brown cardboard, I stole that idea from EDWDS One-Page template sheepish grin
and my favorite was PiSketch's, I appreciate to level of work and time Lamkin put into Pac-Man, but PiSketch's was just amazing.
Cheers!
-K

@freq245, on Oct 5 2008, 05:55 AM, said in TBSE voting:

Ahm, a question posed by someone not as active as you all: After defeating the Octopus mini-boss, what are you supposed to do then? I think I shot at more or less everything with every colour, but still no clue.

After defeating the Octopus Mini Boss, you have to retrieve the blue gun behind the two movers. After defeating the Mini Boss, it's blocking shield will be gone. After that, go down the alley with the 3 switches and Super Force Fields lined up.

Hope this helps,

Klublex

P.S. Only 3 people have voted! 😞

I just voted. πŸ˜‰

I like Lamkin's level the most - though it was difficult at first.

@klublex, on Oct 5 2008, 05:17 PM, said in TBSE voting:

After defeating the Octopus Mini Boss, you have to retrieve the blue gun behind the two movers. After defeating the Mini Boss, it's blocking shield will be gone. After that, go down the alley with the 3 switches and Super Force Fields lined up.

Hope this helps,

Klublex

P.S. Only 3 people have voted! 😞

But... it's not possible to go there, there are walls.

No one likes mine! crys
Well, I like mine, but I didn't want to vote for myself, and so I didn't.
well, it's not a big deal.
Good luck!

-K

@freq245, on Oct 5 2008, 11:36 AM, said in TBSE voting:

But... it's not possible to go there, there are walls.

I'm not quite sure what you mean, you can't get to the blue gun? :huh: The mover with Turret Tank and the Block Mover are going back and forth in front of it, but there aren't any walls.

Kasofa, I like your level a lot. I'm sorry that no one has voted for it yet, and I respect the fact that you didn't vote for your own. 😊 No one besides me seems to like mine, either. 😞 Oh, well.

Klublex

I haven't actually beaten any of the levels yet. In part because I've been busy, but mostly because they're hard! You guys must be much better at actually playing the game then I am, because I can't beat any of these. I'll be playing them more next/this week, though, and I'll put up full reviews when I've succeeded them. Also, I'm voting null vote, I don't really think I could be particularly impartial.

-Pi

@klublex, on Oct 5 2008, 11:25 PM, said in TBSE voting:

I'm not quite sure what you mean, you can't get to the blue gun? :huh: The mover with Turret Tank and the Block Mover are going back and forth in front of it, but there aren't any walls.

Ah no, I meant I can't get to the force fields alley. The pusher which is blocking the way is deactivated by 1002, but I can't find anything which sets that number.

edit: okay, got it. πŸ˜‰

This post has been edited by Freq245 : 06 October 2008 - 02:03 PM

I've finally figured out how to upload a screenshot. 😊 :mad: QuickShareIt was the ticket, of course. Duh!
Anyway, compare this screenshot of my Pac-Man level (at 25% in the editor) to that of the original Pac-Man game and you'll have some sense of the effort I made to replicate the arcade game...um, with the possible exception of where Pac is and that there aren't any Power Pellets.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Lamkin : 07 October 2008 - 12:13 PM

Ah, finally finished. All in all I prefered Klublex' level, though the others were very funny, too. But it was sometimes too hard to finish the challenge in PlanetX. May I suggest that the invisible wall at the head of the octupus can be seen while being hit? I don't think that anyone would be able to beat it without that hint regarding its weak point.

Wow, thanks for voting for me, Freq! The reason I didn't make it visible that you were hurting the top was because the game would shut down if you came in contact with the wave sprite, (top of Octopus's head) so it must be non-solid. Thanks for the input, though. πŸ™‚
I'm beginning to realize that maybe other people aren't voting for my level because they cannot finish it. If you're having difficulties, please contact me.

Thanks,
Klublex

Kasofa: That spinning Skull Turret thing has incredibly good aim for something shooting completely independently of the player's position. Apparently, I'm very out of practice, given that it should be more predictable than the Master Turret, which I could avoid easily. Apart from that, very nice level!

Kublex: I found it a bit hard to tell whether what I was doing was intended behaviour, or bugs in the map (mostly it was intended behaviour). Also, it was hard enough that I just got frustrated and gave up before finishing it, and that was AFTER map-editing the giant octopus out of existence. (Yes, I read the hint. No, I still couldn't kill it, as luring it around enough to get it back above me and its extending tentacles out of the way killed me several times after I'd exposed its weak point.) Still, a fairly well-designed map overall, and no doubt quite fun if you're more in-practice and have some time to burn getting good enough at each part. I particularly liked the eye-candy, even as it was eating me alive. πŸ˜›

Lamkin: Excuse me while I remove my jaw from the floor. That was a truly awesome show of what can be done with this game with sufficient dedication, and was surprisingly hard for such a simple-seeming level- I limped out with only 2% shields left.

PiSketch: Nice! It took me a few run-throughs to find the exit, but that was a great level, with nice warping effects, and the time limit was just the right length.

Overall, that was a very impressive selection of levels. I really wish I'd had enough free time to come up with my own entry, although given the competition, I'm not sure I would have even had a chance of winning!

Edwards

This post has been edited by Edwards : 13 October 2008 - 07:02 PM

I liked Pi's level the best. It had a nice blend of difficulty and prettiness. Though I would hardly crown any of these levels as "The Best Sketch Ever". I didn't even complete the Pac-man level. It was pretty, but invisible ship + invisible enemies isn't really my thing. I like to see what I'm shooting at, thanks much.

@gray-shirt-ninja, on Oct 14 2008, 03:21 PM, said in TBSE voting:

I didn't even complete the Pac-man level. It was pretty, but invisible ship + invisible enemies isn't really my thing. I like to see what I'm shooting at, thanks much.

I had attempted to design a replica of the original Pac-Man game (by Namco), so I had deliberately limited anything else that may have detracted from that goal.

PS It's not really "my thing" either. πŸ˜‰
PPS Thanks Mack & Edwards! πŸ™‚