Is there an "easy" setting?

<Nevermind, Edwards got there first.>

xander

This post has been edited by darwinian : 15 January 2007 - 05:39 PM

@edwards, on Jan 15 2007, 11:26 PM, said in Is there an "easy" setting?:

For custom levels, it seems that SketchFighter remembers whichever mode was last used in the main quest, so if you were last playing in Hard Mode, all custom levels will be in Hard Mode. To switch, load a saved game of the opposite mode.

Edwards

This is, by the way, a bug, and will be fixed in the next update.

Well I am able to get to the end zone and do enjoy the game, but I doubt that I will ever be able to finish I just don't have the patience to defeat the first wave and deal with all the crap they throw at you after that. I think the game would be more enjoyable if the game play was a little easier and the game length a little longer. Definitely is worth the $19 though.

@xraybeam, on Jan 17 2007, 02:29 AM, said in Is there an "easy" setting?:

Well I am able to get to the end zone and do enjoy the game, but I doubt that I will ever be able to finish I just don't have the patience to defeat the first wave and deal with all the crap they throw at you after that. I think the game would be more enjoyable if the game play was a little easier and the game length a little longer. Definitely is worth the $19 though.

I don't think that the game will be made any longer in the future and the difficulty seems to be all right for most of the players, and there're the custom levels to increase the game length, so I think it's currently okay the way it is. Maybe there'll be some changes if more people complain about these issues, though.

@freq245, on Jan 17 2007, 10:07 AM, said in Is there an "easy" setting?:

I don't think that the game will be made any longer in the future and the difficulty seems to be all right for most of the players, and there're the custom levels to increase the game length, so I think it's currently okay the way it is. Maybe there'll be some changes if more people complain about these issues, though.

I posted the note and then read through it again and noticed that I forgot to mention the custom levels some of which are really cool to play. I do keep trying to beat the end boss but still lack the dexterity skills required to beat the spinning pen. I do agree that part of the bosses defeat is luck driven since you don't know what the AI is going to throw at you. I am still curious to see what the hard setting is like so that is why I will continue to battle the end zone level until I get lucky enough for a victory. I will also mention that thanks to the fact that you are given a level editor with the game and can make your own game, that the purchase price is more than worth it.

I find the difficulty fun, and enjoyable 😄 I do understand that for alot of players it's too hard, and others get some absurdly short times, but in my opinion, it's really fun. Plus, I think challenges are really fun. 😄

This post has been edited by FireFalcon : 17 January 2007 - 06:08 PM

Not to bump an ancient thread, but I too, purchased this game a while ago. I dug it up again recently to fool around with and ran into one old problem: I find the Racetrack miserable to play. I don't have the time or patience to do the silly thing over and over again.

If you're 15 years old and do little more than play computer games, great, have fun with the game.

If you are older, play them once in a while, and don't have hours to waste on one aspect of the game that affects further outcome, forget it.

For me, this game is going in the trash.

Sorry Ambrosia, this game needs more work to be a success.

@sheldonc, on Sep 23 2007, 05:58 AM, said in Is there an "easy" setting?:

For me, this game is going in the trash.

Sorry Ambrosia, this game needs more work to be a success.

I think the 22,295 downloads says otherwise. 😛

sigh... Some people just don't appreciate what it takes to balance a game's difficulty. You have to study the abilities of your targeted profile and find a midway difficulty that'll keep both experienced gamers entertained and not drive away the lesser skilled. In SketchFighter's case, I think Ambrosia did exceedingly well. Advanced player's find a challenge in Iron Man runs long after they've completed the "simple" solo mode, while relatively-new gamers strive to overcome the "Impossible Tank Boss". But instead of complaining about how hard the Tank Boss is, they feel accomplished when the effort they put into defeating it pays off. What I'm saying is, if Ambrosia had made the game easier, they might have succeeded in pleasing you and a few others who find the difficulty a chore, but they probably would have lost many other customers who think the game's too easy as it stands. (most of the population of active members on this forum)

btw, if you feel that the solo mode is too challenging, why not look into custom map designing? You can tailer your map's difficulty to better suite your skills.

Also, you don't actually need to win the racetrack. You don't even need to go through it until much later on in the game. Though, admittedly, it's been a long time since i've run through SP, so i could be wrong.

@pisketch, on Sep 23 2007, 09:01 AM, said in Is there an "easy" setting?:

Though, admittedly, it's been a long time since i've run through SP, so i could be wrong.

Yes, you can ignore the Racetrack entirely until just before the end of the game. It is easier to go through the earlier parts of the game if you get the prize from beating it, but it is by no means essential. If you're having trouble beating it, I would suggest leaving, and not trying again until you reach the level-two ship upgrade, which is a bit faster than the ship you start with.

Edwards

I guess we shouldn't tell those people who are having trouble with the racetrack about the star they have to race to in the forest part later in the game... 😛

And I guess you ought to steer clear of some of those custom maps out there...

But seriously, I personally did not find the game to be extremely challenging. That said, I still haven't managed to defeat the final boss... but the main solo game is fairly simple to me up to that point. I do play games a bit more often than some, and I use computers a lot to begin with, so my skills may be better than some... but give it a chance. If you wanted a game to just play on weekends now and then, there are other great Ambrosia games for that (pop-pop, Aki, Apeiron, Bubble Trouble, etc.), but if you want to get the full enjoyment out of this one, take a little extra time. You won't regret it. 🙂