Weird Wasteland

A feedback topic.

So, my little bro Å onelight recently submitted his level "Weird Wasteland" to the addons page. Feedback at him here, please.

Well, I didn't get much time to play the level yet, but it would be better if it would have come with a ReadMe (even minimal, and even if you actually wrote it, it at least allows to have the contact info (and other such info) in the downloaded package if nothing else, this avoid having to go back to the add-on files to see who is to blame for that failure is to eternally praise for this masterpiece.

On the level itself, I'll have to say that the layout is a bit odd, to begin with. More to come as soon as I've caught up playing the levels recently posted to the add-ons.

This post has been edited by Zacha Pedro : 10 March 2007 - 03:43 AM
Reason for edit: catch is irregular, catch is irregular, catch is

Laugh

Yeah, I have to agree with you on most of that. I can put up a readme. I'll do that ina bit.

The layout is rather strange, and although this not really a bad thing, I did have 2 questions:

1. What's with all of the climate particles is the chamber outside of the main area? It seems rather overkill-ish.

2. Why is there so much circuitry in the area directly above where the player starts? This actually slowed my computer down some. Quite strange.

I know I'm being a little nit-picky, but I haven't played the level all the way through yet, and these were the only things that I noticed.

--Flurrie

I don't really know about all the circuits, i asked him that when he was making it. As for the lava particles, it's not really THAT overkill. I can make it most of the way into the room as it is before i die. The slowdown might actually be that he used REALLY LARGE amounts of Background Sprites when he was making it. I can autobackground it and put that up here, if you like.

Oh, and welcome to the boards! Leave your san-Oh, wait. Wrong boards. What's our "Welcome" line, here, anyway? Feed the jellied abominations?

This post has been edited by PiSketch : 12 March 2007 - 04:16 PM

Oh, and welcome to the boards! Leave your san-Oh, wait. Wrong boards. What's our "Welcome" line, here, anyway? Feed the jellied abominations?

Hehe... jellied abominations...

I thought it was a good level from what I played of it, I'll have a proper go of it now in a sec. I didn't think it was lava overkill, and I didn't find it to be that slow either.

I looked at the level in the editor and deleted some unnecessary Background tiles as well as straightened them out I also deleted some of the circutry and climate particles and managed to get the level to 128k. Tell him he should go back and delete some of the extra stuff. Also all the ice crystals in the ice caves are enimies he should add plain ones.

This post has been edited by Dogbert : 12 March 2007 - 04:37 PM

I think the key to the lava particles is to use the wave gun from the other side of the wall, or something. Also, the circuitry does not seem to go out when you deactivate any of the switches. I haven't looked at the map in the editor, but I think he didn't name the circuits the same as the switch.

EDIT: Thanks for the welcome.

This post has been edited by Flurrie : 16 March 2007 - 05:57 PM

@flurrie, on Mar 16 2007, 10:54 PM, said in Weird Wasteland:

I think the key to the lava particles is to use the wave gun from the other side of the wall, or something.

It took me ages to figure out how to get past the Lava Particles. I actually thought it was a mistake in the level at first, until I finally discovered that it was possible, provided you can overcome the challenge of course.

Great level by the way Pi! Tell your brother I can't wait to play the next one he makes. 🙂

There is actually a way past the lava particles, and it does not involve Wave. The second ship is hidden in a place with no indication that it is there, which is something that i pointed out to him repeatedly and that he seems to have forgotten about.

Yeah, I know, that's why I wasn't directly saying what the challenge was, 'cause I didn't wanna give it away to anyone who hadn't completed it. (it's also why I said "I didn't think it was lava overkill" in my first post) I had to bump into almost every wall before I found it though, it was really well hidden.

Well being the detail-oriented person I am, I just found waaaaaay too many things that grated me, and I guess you and him already know about them so I won't post them, except for a personal one of mine: don't give the possibility to have missiles but 0 of them at the beginning, either don't give the possibility at all (at the beginning, at least), or have the player have a t least a few missiles (say 5) when starting out. I don't like having 0 missiles, I always arrange myself to have at least one missile Just In Case™, and I don't like seeing I have 0.

In a more general level, this level feels very unSketchFighter-like in its layout, progression, etc For instance, is it really insteresting to have that lava particle zone be only a big bottle filled with lava particles and the upgrade at the bottom (with merely two tanks to protect it) just to make sure players can't get that upgrade before he gets the second ship? I mean, this game is all about exploration and discovery, and Weird Wasteland is dull in that respect.