One Page to Rule Them All

@dogbert, on Feb 21 2007, 05:55 PM, said in One Page to Rule Them All:

Why didn't i think of that? So what was the skf master (crono's) time?

Don't think I'm a 'master' - that would be zander and the people who got those ridiculous single player mission times... :laugh:

Anyways, if you really want to know, my only attempt at the level was 3:10 - I reckon it ought to be possible to knock at least a minute off that though. Unfortunately, I really can't be bothered - it's a fun invention but the trigger/bullet engine issues makes my ickle G4 laptop's fans come on and I can't stand that 😞

Perhaps it's time I knuckled under it and bought a MBP - but I want to wait for the rumoured LED screens 😛

Must.... resist... new... shiny... toy....
(and if you're not one yourself, you have no idea how hard that is for an engineer 😉 )

@crono, on Feb 21 2007, 11:41 AM, said in One Page to Rule Them All:

Don't think I'm a 'master' - that would be zander and the people who got those ridiculous single player mission times... :laugh:

Anyways, if you really want to know, my only attempt at the level was 3:10 - I reckon it ought to be possible to knock at least a minute off that though. Unfortunately, I really can't be bothered - it's a fun invention but the trigger/bullet engine issues makes my ickle G4 laptop's fans come on and I can't stand that 😞

Perhaps it's time I knuckled under it and bought a MBP - but I want to wait for the rumoured LED screens 😛

Must.... resist... new... shiny... toy....
(and if you're not one yourself, you have no idea how hard that is for an engineer 😉 )

Well, compared to me, you sure are a master. My first try at the (finished) level was 5:45--and I made it! I tested each and every switch as it was made to ensure it worked, so I knew exactly where to put my ship to trigger it, and you still beat me on your first try. Don't sell yourself short.

I too am an engineer. The difference is that I'm an engineering student , so resisting shiny new toys is easy--I just can't afford any of them!

@cheleball, on Feb 21 2007, 12:23 AM, said in One Page to Rule Them All:

Ladies and gentlemen, please give a big warm welcome to the latest entrant to the contest: Shooting Gallery!

Nice! Best time so far (and my only attempt): 4:53.

@cheleball, on Feb 21 2007, 12:23 AM, said in One Page to Rule Them All:

If I could sum this map up in a phrase, it would be: "A physical sheet of paper looks bigger than the One Page template actually is."

Actually, it is. :sheepish grin:
I didn't actually get any measurements for the Pen before using it to scale the Page, so I just assumed that it was 6 inches. I got a real measurement later from someone who ones that model of pen, and it turns out that it is actually 5 and 5/16 inches long, so the page is about 11% too short in each dimension. Calculating the real-world dimensions of the Page from this information, it comes out to about 7.5 x 9.8 inches, which, according to my handy reference book, is very close to the UK Crown Quarto paper size (7.5 x 9.5 inches).
And now you know. 😛

Edwards

4:41 on my first try. Ha-ha.

Just got 4:14 on 2nd try.

@edwards, on Feb 21 2007, 04:59 PM, said in One Page to Rule Them All:

Actually, it is. :sheepish grin:
I didn't actually get any measurements for the Pen before using it to scale the Page, so I just assumed that it was 6 inches.

Oh. You do know that the absolute size of the pen will not necessarily transfer through a scanner, especially with the post-processing I'm sure Lars did to it, right?

I just measured with Art Director's Toolkit, which gives accurate measurements of the print size of objects onscreen, and it came out 9.528 x 12.138. So, I guess it's a good thing I didn't make the template, or I would have made it even smaller. 🙂

However, print size and size onscreen are very different things. The template as displayed on my screen is quite a bit smaller than a sheet of paper held up to it. This is perhaps why I can never seem to fit the designs I sketch.

The moral of the story? Maybe you should have made the template by holding a piece of paper up to your screen. 😄

@cheleball, on Feb 21 2007, 08:15 PM, said in One Page to Rule Them All:

The moral of the story? Maybe you should have made the template by holding a piece of paper up to your screen. 😄

Or I could have swagged a guess at the type of graph-paper he was using (perhaps 1 cm squares? What are standard graph-paper scales in northern Europe?) and used that as the basis for the scale. It's probably the same scale as the rest of the sprites.

At any rate, what I came up with is a perfectly usable size, and isn't too much different from my original size of "one screen". I basically added 50 pixels to each side and rotated it 90°.

Edwards

The Droopy Heart:

After killing the almighty pen, you have fund something extraordinary, the back-room of sketchtopia. Everything there is going haywire. The heart of sketchtopia it located at the bottom left corner of the page. You need to get to the core of the heart. In order to do that you have to, give a face "Cold" medicine, kill your siblings, and kill the misdrawn sketches.

Original Map By Edwards

Attached File(s)

@cheleball, on Feb 22 2007, 04:15 AM, said in One Page to Rule Them All:

I hope you realise it's about the most unreliable way of doing it, right? Not all screens have 72 dpi of resolution, so the saem thing can appear at different "real-world" sizes on different monitors

@edwards, on Feb 22 2007, 04:28 AM, said in One Page to Rule Them All:

Or I could have swagged a guess at the type of graph-paper he was using (perhaps 1 cm squares? What are standard graph-paper scales in northern Europe?) and used that as the basis for the scale. It's probably the same scale as the rest of the sprites.

In this kind of paper, each square is 0.5cm x 0.5cm, AFAIK

By the way, there's a bug in OnePage_Mines: some metal plates are not solid, and one can go outside the paper sheet due to this.

By the way, there's a bug in OnePage_Mines: some metal plates are not solid, and one can go outside the paper sheet due to this.

(Gasp of shock!) 😮

Three-day warning. New submissions and changes to existing entries will stop being accepted at midnight Mountain Standard Time on Wednesday, February 28th. If you have been procrastinating on a level, you have about 72 hours from now to finish it.

@Everyone who has submitted a level: I probably should have gone over this in the rules, but would anyone object to my compiling all of the final submissions into a single zip file and uploading it to the add-ons page before the voting starts?
This would: A) Allow voters to download all levels at once, rather than a dozen individual files, making it more likely that they'll play all of them; B) Ensure that voters get the most recent versions; and C) create a permanent record of all the contest entries, which will be somewhat more findable than this thread in a few months' time.

@FireFalcon: As of the last time I checked, your "OnePage Mines" was still very close to entirely impossible, and technically breaks the "no access to area outside the paper" rule due to the non-solid metal blocks. I won't disqualify it for this, but I strongly recommend that you fix both of these problems.

Edwards

This post has been edited by Edwards : 26 February 2007 - 12:22 AM

I probably should have gone over this in the rules, but would anyone object to my compiling all of the final submissions into a single zip file and uploading it to the add-ons page before the voting starts?

Not at all. It's a fantastic idea and I'm glad you're willing to do it.

That would be cool! A compendium of levels.

I wouldn't mind that either because i think i'm missig a level or two.

The submission period is hereby closed.

Submissions to the One Page to Rule Them All contest, including updates to existing levels, will no longer be accepted. I am currently downloading the levels, and hope to have an archive containing all of them up on the add-ons page tomorrow.

The voting period will start this Saturday, March 3rd, and will run through the next Saturday. Voting will be done in a poll which I will create at that time. The winner will be whichever map gets the most votes in the poll, unless there is a tie, in which case there will be a run-off between the tied maps.

Edwards

Awesome.

It might be a good idea to stipulate that creators cannot vote for their own creations, because I suspect most voters will also be entrants. Unenforceable with a poll, though, and my fear may be unfounded in any case.

Could we have a list of the maps in competition, along with their authors (on top of the archive itself, of course)? Just to be sure we're on the same page before the poll topic begins.

@cheleball, on Feb 28 2007, 11:14 PM, said in One Page to Rule Them All:

Awesome.

It might be a good idea to stipulate that creators cannot vote for their own creations, because I suspect most voters will also be entrants. Unenforceable with a poll, though, and my fear may be unfounded in any case.

Having viewed all the entries, I would vote for Miniland anyway. It's my favorite.

@zacha-pedro, on Mar 1 2007, 05:40 AM, said in One Page to Rule Them All:

Could we have a list of the maps in competition, along with their authors (on top of the archive itself, of course)? Just to be sure we're on the same page before the poll topic begins.

The Entries:
Acme Sketch, by grayshirtninja
Droopy Heart, by shishkabibal
Miniland, by grayshirtninja
Mirror Maze, by cheleball
One Page Boot Camp, by D-ATTACK
One Page Clouds, by tridash
Push It To The Limit, by shishkabibal
Scare Crow Attack, by Silverwind
Shooting Gallery, by cheleball
Small Circuit, by Silverwind
Volcanic Soil, by Pisketch
Wasteland Narrows, by Dogbert

Note that FireFalcon told me yesterday that he was withdrawing his One Page Mine Shaft entry, so I am not including it (a shame, since the early versions were fairly fun).

Edwards

Meh, don't worry. I'm making a big level for it anyways. Also, congrats for all you One Page map makers! Also, I would recomend you post your best times for the level you voted for.

This post has been edited by FireFalcon : 01 March 2007 - 01:30 PM