Congratulations to Edwards, AGDenton, simX, and Edwards again!

@zacha-pedro, on Jan 26 2007, 05:52 PM, said in Congratulations to Edwards, AGDenton, simX, and Edwards again!:

I've not heard that there was anything wrong with that time either. I have noticed this for some time, but damnit! I wonder how I'll ever be able to beat this. However, that doesn't mean I'm not trying. In this last attempt of mine, I decided that the super shield was useless at the point I was getting it, so I did without it, taking two extra missile packs instead (to go through the End Boss battle more quickly, at least as far as it's possible to speed up this battle, in the drawing enemies part the pace is dictated by the Pen). After testing it, I found it to be a better strategy. Of course, YMMV.

Yeah, I'm still trying to beat it, too. I have stopped with the 300% shield upgrade altogether, as it doesn't really help that much, and am picking up a total of 15 missiles for the final boss (Ice Caves, King Crab, and the ones behind the blue door in the Wastelands), but I can't seem to beat that time. Furthermore, I just don't see how it is possible with 100% items. If he was beating my times by 30 secs to a minute with 82-87% completion, I might believe it, but I just don't understand how 100% completion is possible in much less than 25 minutes... My mind is totally blown...

At any rate, congratulations, once again, Meses.

xander

Well, congratulations Darwinian.

Congratulations - I think that time is probably good enough that you would still have won out even if you had gone for the 100% mark. So there you go, you've blown your own mind! - or at least Meses's.

@crono, on Jan 29 2007, 10:11 PM, said in Congratulations to Edwards, AGDenton, simX, and Edwards again!:

Congratulations - I think that time is probably good enough that you would still have won out even if you had gone for the 100% mark. So there you go, you've blown your own mind! - or at least Meses's.

Well, thank you for the congrats. However, if Meses is using some kind of alternate, super-fast route, then he should be much faster if he decides not to get all of the upgrades. This is why I really want to know how he is doing it...

xander

So why does nobody ever comment on the battles for the 2-player high score list? It's certainly at least as interesting to play, and the shattering of beta records is even more complete than in the single-player time trials (and no, I'm not referring to Volcano scores here).

Anyway, nice time! It will be interesting to see if Meses can beat 22 minutes with 100% completion.

Edwards

@edwards, on Jan 30 2007, 01:25 AM, said in Congratulations to Edwards, AGDenton, simX, and Edwards again!:

So why does nobody ever comment on the battles for the 2-player high score list? It's certainly at least as interesting to play, and the shattering of beta records is even more complete than in the single-player time trials (and no, I'm not referring to Volcano scores here).

Anyway, nice time! It will be interesting to see if Meses can beat 22 minutes with 100% completion.

Edwards

Personally I don't comment on the 2-player scores since I have never played (never anyone online to play with). As such, I don't know how to play 2 player, what it involves, how you score, or what a good score is (or any feel for what is a high one!) So therefore, I don't comment 😉

@crono, on Jan 30 2007, 09:46 AM, said in Congratulations to Edwards, AGDenton, simX, and Edwards again!:

Personally I don't comment on the 2-player scores since I have never played (never anyone online to play with). As such, I don't know how to play 2 player, what it involves, how you score, or what a good score is (or any feel for what is a high one!) So therefore, I don't comment 😉

A high one is something above the 100.000 points mark. 🙂 Just let SF run in the background and someone will probably come in after some minutes.

We are now the first of february 2007 at midnight, GMT+1, and I take advantage of this mark to officially announce that I give up. I decided some time this month that I could not let this go on indefinitely, so I set myself right now to be the date where I would officially give up if I had not suceeded by it. Since I left you one month of advance, I decided it would only be fair to allow myself one month. I give up because I don't have much idea on how to go faster enough than what I already do. I also give up because I don't have that much time (in fact I combined doing these time runs with testing the 1.0.1 betas), and it would be better spent on, say, working on SketchMapMerge. I admit I honestly didn't think that people could make such a good time that I couldn't beat it in only one month, as I though it would require more time (than one month) of having the game to know it inside and out enough to go this fast. Now I can reveal you that the best time in the beta was around 35 minutes, heck yeah, though it was 100% (the only end worth reaching IMHO). So congratulations to xander and Meses for completing the game in times I can't even get close to! Notice that doesn't mean I won't ever try to beat your times again, but it will be out of the challenge (since it's over), completely as I feel like it, without any pressure, for fun.

As I've promised, here is the document I've been using as a reference, modified to be made a guide on beating the game in the fastest possible time, with tips and tricks and a complete walkthrough of the path I use. It's obviously full of spoilers, so be warned. Also, it is a bit strangely encoded, just wait a few hours for me to complete the translation :p...

http://perso.orange...._Rapidement.txt
note: it's not necessarily best to view it from your browser (there are no line breaks in particular), instead ctrl- or right-click and ask to save on your hard drive, and view it from there; I might do a more web-friendly version later.

@zacha-pedro, on Feb 1 2007, 12:27 AM, said in Congratulations to Edwards, AGDenton, simX, and Edwards again!:

http://perso.orange...._Rapidement.txt
note: it's not necessarily best to view it from your browser (there are no line breaks in particular), instead ctrl- or right-click and ask to save on your hard drive, and view it from there; I might do a more web-friendly version later.

Tu sais que ça c'est français, oui?

@freq245, on Feb 1 2007, 09:16 AM, said in Congratulations to Edwards, AGDenton, simX, and Edwards again!:

Tu sais que ça c'est français, oui?

Of course I do. I promised you the document I was using as a reference, I never said I was using English for my own documents :p. Just kidding, I just wanted to joke a bit as this document has indeed always been in French and I had to translate it just for you in a few hours (which, by the way, means there are probably typos everywhere, please tell me about them), here is the translated version:

http://perso.orange....4kA_Fastest.txt

I also updated the French version a little, by the way these text files are in UTF-8 encoding so if you see pairs of weird chars instead of accented vowels, then change the encoding to UTF-8.

I expect to put these on MacGamer.net (once the SketchFighter section is there, isn't it Frinkruds...) and GameFAQs.com in the future.