Obstacle Course

Best Times

Post your best times for the new level Obstacle Course here.
3:13, 19% shields

I should probably abstain since, having made the level, I have an unfair advantage. If nobody beats my best in a week or two, though, I'll be forced to come forward. 😛

(It shouldn't be hard, I suck at speed runs.)

My best time is 4:10 3rd ship green super pellets and 25% sheilds.

This post has been edited by Dogbert : 27 January 2007 - 01:41 PM

@cheleball, on Jan 27 2007, 06:22 PM, said in Obstacle Course:

I should probably abstain since, having made the level, I have an unfair advantage. If nobody beats my best in a week or two, though, I'll be forced to come forward. 😛

(It shouldn't be hard, I suck at speed runs.)

2:19 15% shields left - going via the 'rapids'

Excellent Map!

improved to 2:13 with 25%

and further improved to 1:53 but with only 11%. I think it could still be possible to knock another 5secs off that though - maybe more.
🙂

also I loved the lavos-spawn side joke - right up my street

This post has been edited by Crono : 27 January 2007 - 03:39 PM

2:05 with 11% remaining via The Narrows, and I could probably trim off 10-20 seconds, and possibly add 20-50 shields, depending on how sloppy I wanted to be at the end.

(EDIT) 1:55, 1%, via the Rapids. This may have been influenced by my framerate, though, as I jumped across the inter-current walls a couple times. I also got caught in a backwards loop, however, so things may even out. I think that the two paths are fairly similar in time.

Of course, if you want a real challenge, try doing The Narrows when your computer is dropping half the frames. :mad:

Edwards

This post has been edited by Edwards : 27 January 2007 - 04:41 PM

@edwards, on Jan 27 2007, 09:30 PM, said in Obstacle Course:

2:05 with 11% remaining via The Narrows, and I could probably trim off 10-20 seconds, and possibly add 20-50 shields, depending on how sloppy I wanted to be at the end.

(EDIT) 1:55, 1%, via the Rapids. This may have been influenced by my framerate, though, as I jumped across the inter-current walls a couple times. I also got caught in a backwards loop, however, so things may even out. I think that the two paths are fairly similar in time.

Of course, if you want a real challenge, try doing The Narrows when your computer is dropping half the frames. :mad:

Edwards

I'm trying to decide whether it is possible to do it faster by getting ship 3 and then chasing round - that way you don't need to be so careful with the flying...

Still, managed to shave another second off the normal run (i.e. picking nothing up) - 1:52 and 20% shields left

One slightly irritating tendency is for me to get swamped by bugs at the very end, even though I've passed "Fin" before the game actually realises that I made it (

EDIT now at 1:48 (11%)

EDIT now 1:45 (25%) i think I am going to retire now until someone beats that 🙂

This post has been edited by Crono : 27 January 2007 - 07:34 PM

Wow, congrats you guys, you've totally destroyed my time--if I start on Dire Straits. My best time through there is 2:11, and I don't remember how much health I had left.

Nobody's touched my best through the Narrows, though. 😛

@crono, on Jan 27 2007, 11:50 AM, said in Obstacle Course:

also I loved the lavos-spawn side joke - right up my street

Says Crono...lol. 🙂 Seriously, though, I wonder if Lars did that on purpose--the resemblance is remarkable.

@edwards, on Jan 27 2007, 02:30 PM, said in Obstacle Course:

Yeah, the sheer number of trigger sprites required for something like the rapids can cause a real bottleneck. I just resigned myself to it, knowing that most Macs are faster than mine (1ghz G4) and that it's quite acceptable on my machine. Hopefully 1.01 optimizes trigger sprites, if that's even possible.

Oh, and ??? to your slowdown in the Narrows. What in there could cause that?

Oooo... that was fun! But the rapids suck. I spent so much time trying to get out of them. Don't change a thing. My first complete run was around 3 minutes. Groovy.

xander

@cheleball, on Jan 28 2007, 01:58 AM, said in Obstacle Course:

(re lavos-spawn)
Says Crono...lol. 🙂 Seriously, though, I wonder if Lars did that on purpose--the resemblance is remarkable.

That's odd actually, I didn't really think about it when I fought the ice cave boss, but when the sprite is brown rather than blue, the similarity was very strong. Has Lars player CT then?

Incidentally, did you ever see the 3D CT remake that was in the works? The old site for it is here - and anyone who has played CT should check the good quality avi file they made from their game's engine. Looks a little quaint by today's standards, but it brought back happy memories for me - and for a spare-time fan remake it looked pretty good. Unfortunately, Square came in with the heavies and shut them down. 😞 A real shame, since I doubt they'll ever remake it themselves. Or who knows? Perhaps they will wii-make it? 😉

Also - 1:16 - 20% going via the narrows... is that getting close to yours?

:blink: Gah! Ladies and gents, we have a new king. All hail Crono!

(My best was 1:38. What do you do, skip the recharge before the Gauntlet? I can't or the bugs get me at the end. 🐵

This post has been edited by cheleball : 29 January 2007 - 03:01 PM

@cheleball, on Jan 29 2007, 08:00 PM, said in Obstacle Course:

:blink: Gah! Ladies and gents, we have a new king. All hail Crono!

(My best was 1:38. What do you do, skip the recharge before the Gauntlet? I can't or the bugs get me at the end. 🐵

Thank-you, thank-you all 🙂

Ah well, perhaps I'll just return the Epoch's keys back to Belthasar? 😉

Seriously - I have done it a couple of times without the save-ring, but I've found that it usually saves more time than it costs since I can be more rampant with the final bug-baiting-bit. You're mileage may vary, of course, so it ought to be possible to knock a couple of seconds off my record if I you can only keep your shields high enough 🙂

This post has been edited by Crono : 29 January 2007 - 05:30 PM