Second Volcano boss

Bug or lack of skill?

I am having problems with the second volcano boss (the big tank). Every time I enter the room to do battle with it, it seem to get stuck on the wall in the lower left corner in front of the exit door. Once it was even outside the wall though I think that was a bug. Should it huddle in a corner like that?

This post has been edited by gray_shirt_ninja : 03 December 2006 - 07:55 PM

no, it shouldn't, and this is a bug that has popped up before.

So how do I beat it without an update to SF4000?

Missiles, and can you get behind it? If so, then launch missiles, then beams

I saw and reported this many times before, but it is possible to destroy it. Just after entering the boss room hurry up to get behind the boss, ignore everything he fires at you and try to reach the lower-left corner, then attack him with everything you have, beams and missiles are the best weapons. It'd be better to change your weapons to them before entering the room, because you have to do this pretty fast.

GSN, what are your system specs? So that people can have a try reproducing it, I have a feeling it is performance-dependant.

I'm using 800x600 resolution on a PPC.

More accurate than that. 😉

And by the way, which boss is it actually? Because there is a boss in the Volcano which IS a tank. The boss in the Factory is referred to as the (Factory) Core.

It's actually rather weird, I experienced that bug a lot when I was running it on my old G4 iMac, but when I got this Intel iMac it suddenly became very easy to beat. It is possible to coax out of the corner a bit if you stay well away then charge when it's moved out and make some skillfull manoeuvres behind it.

Oh. Duh. It's the second Volcano boss. <_< What exactly do you need to know? It's a G4 running OS 10.3

This post has been edited by gray_shirt_ninja : 04 December 2006 - 11:53 AM

I was stuck on this one, too, figuring I was the victim of the "bug." So to add a fresh prespective on it, I had my 10 y.o. son give it a try. He's my new hero!
I was trying to fly over and behind the boss, and never had enough time before getting crushed.
He flew under , and it provided just enough time to finish the job.

This may not work for everyone, but it worked for one happy dad.

(BTW: G5 2.0GHz duallie)

:chuckles: That is funny.

Heh, heh, heh.

Wait so the freaking thing ISNT supposed to huddle in the back? FRICK! now i've beaten it 2x (easy and hard) thinking how annoying it was for the designers to make me rush behind it to try to entice it to come out...

(10.4 on a 867 PB G4 hope to score a MB this xmas!!!!)

It should be fixed in the patch that's in the works now. Sounds like it's a bit late for you though. But you can rest assured that the designers weren't that cruel intentionally. 😉

@andcarne, on Dec 14 2006, 06:08 PM, said in Second Volcano boss:

It should be fixed in the patch that's in the works now. Sounds like it's a bit late for you though. But you can rest assured that the designers weren't that cruel intentionally. 😉

Well, I can't kill this guy now (yeah, I still gave up on the racetrack), having a heckuva time with the mines he drops, getting his backside targeted. He moves rather fast for me, or I just pilot very suckily.

Oddly, I was able to coax him OUT of the room and up the hallway, before the beam closing you in gets activated! Course, I couldn't damage him because I had no manouvering room, bu he could actually get INTO the walls to try and shoot me!

Now I have to see if I can kill him... ugh!

@sonyguts, on Dec 13 2006, 09:03 AM, said in Second Volcano boss:

I was stuck on this one, too, figuring I was the victim of the "bug." So to add a fresh prespective on it, I had my 10 y.o. son give it a try. He's my new hero!

Can I borrow your 10 yo? I just cannot get past this boss so far!

Looks like SketchCheater was pulled... my only hope! :blink:

SketchCheater didn't even start up for me. Probably my OS 10.3.9 killed it. Of course I'm sure that prophile would send it to you if you asked nicely.

This post has been edited by gray_shirt_ninja : 23 December 2006 - 06:00 PM

don't even try SketchCheater

@gray-shirt-ninja, on Dec 23 2006, 02:59 PM, said in Second Volcano boss:

SketchCheater didn't even start up for me. Probably my OS 10.3.9 killed it. Of course I'm sure that prophile would send it to you if you asked nicely.

shrug oh well...

Volcano boss tank also lays mines INSIDE walls! Not fair!

btw, I am a HORRIBLE pilot.

One interesting thing I found out... if you have 100% health when you enter the tunnel to the boss, the rocks right in front of the entrance yield a rocket. Otherwise, you get a health.