Is Multiwinia Dead?

An attempt to breathe life into a fun game

Well, it's been three weeks now and I haven't seen a single online game. For about a year before that, I only saw a couple games and only three other players near the end of that year.

It saddens me to think this game could be dead after being released not too long ago. It really is a great game, in my opinion, and I still play it regularly. Sure, it has its flaws, but no game is perfect. But playing against the CPU is only so fun, eventually I hunger for the real challenge of playing other humans. This thread isn't meant to be a memoir of Multiwinia. In fact, I'm hoping it will help spark some more life in the game.

So, anyone up for a game?

I like playing multiwinia and I play it about every other day. I go online but I almost find no games, and only one has people in it and it's full! So I try to find people online, but when I finally find someone I get beat so badly. Even though I get slaughtered I find it fun, so I keep trying to find people. I'd like to play a game sometime.

Is there no one else interested in playing this game anymore? It's been 8 hours since I posted this and there have been only 10 reads and one reply. I expected, at the very least, Darwinian to come give his opinion here. I've actually had the pleasure to play against him (read: be absolutely slaughtered) on rare occasions.

Keep an eye out for the tag 'Kronos'. Let me know who you are here and maybe we can work out times when we can be on more often and play.

In a week and a half, when my final is done and I no longer have any teaching responsibilities, I will be up for a game. Until then, I have zero free time (and, now that I have written this post, I actually have negative free time).

xander

I predicted that this would happen about 8 or 9 months ago, I believe. I predicted it would happen because there's such a huge difference between the computer and the player, novice players and expert players, and even the simplest of maps are rigged. (Don't believe me? Play Hamburger Hill against the computer enough times to be able to play both positions. You will beat the computer from the one furthest from "Hamburger Hill" in the shortest amount of time, guaranteed. There are other maps like this.) It's too difficult to advance in skill for it to be any fun except for expert players and hardcore fans, starting out you're either bad or bad. With practice you're either bad or slightly less bad. Don't expect to find me online any time soon, even if I'm not loaded down by homework and studying.

This post has been edited by JacaByte : 11 May 2010 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE (darwinian @ May 4 2010, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In a week and a half, when my final is done and I no longer have any teaching responsibilities, I will be up for a game. Until then, I have zero free time (and, now that I have written this post, I actually have negative free time).

xander

So how about me you and darthkev play a game sometime? It would be fun even though I would get Demolished.

QUOTE (Dragon_Man @ May 13 2010, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So how about me you and darthkev play a game sometime? It would be fun even though I would get Demolished.

One more day until I have all the free time in the world.

xander

QUOTE (darwinian @ May 14 2010, 12:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One more day until I have all the free time in the world.

xander

Ok I was wondering if you have any free time to play a game. Because this post is 2 weeks old.

QUOTE (Dragon_Man @ May 27 2010, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok I was wondering if you have any free time to play a game. Because this post is 2 weeks old.

I'm free right now... are you on IRC? If so, give me a poke at irc.ambrosia.net #multiwinia (i.e., say my name, so that I will be highlighted).

xander

Wow, I totally missed these posts. I also haven't been on Multiwinia in a while. Anyone on now or can get on now? I'm not quite sure how to get on irc, though. Also, darwinian and Dragon_Man, if you two are okay with it, I think IM might be an easier way to know when we're online and available for a game. You can find my various accounts on my profile, there's also another for Gtalk with the same username.

QUOTE (DarthKev @ Jul 22 2010, 01:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, I totally missed these posts. I also haven't been on Multiwinia in a while. Anyone on now or can get on now? I'm not quite sure how to get on irc, though. Also, darwinian and Dragon_Man, if you two are okay with it, I think IM might be an easier way to know when we're online and available for a game. You can find my various accounts on my profile, there's also another for Gtalk with the same username.

My Gtalk user name is xhenderson. I am often away when my status claims that I am available, and around when my status says I am not, so feel free to poke me at any time. Also, given that it is the middle of summer, we don't have AC (it is only really bad for a couple of weeks, so it is not worth installing), and the MacBook Air doesn't cool very well (even with a cooling pad), I can probably only play one or two games at a time, preferably before noon PDT, while it is still cool. 😉

Once it starts cooling of again in a couple of months, I will be up for more.

xander

I just added you to my contacts, darwinian. I'll check Multiwinia now and then to see if you're on. Your tag there is xander, correct?

This post has been edited by DarthKev : 22 July 2010 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE (DarthKev @ Jul 23 2010, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just added you to my contacts, darwinian. I'll check Multiwinia now and then to see if you're on. Your tag there is xander, correct?

Indeed. As I said, poke me at any time. Either I will be around, or I will not.

xander

EDIT: There is also IRC. I tend to idle in #multiwinia.

QUOTE (darwinian @ Jul 22 2010, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

EDIT: There is also IRC. I tend to idle in #multiwinia.

QUOTE (DarthKev @ Jul 21 2010, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not quite sure how to get on irc, though.

Just making it clear. 🙂 Also, at the risk of sounding like an utter n00b, how does one poke another through Gtalk? Do you mean an actual feature or just open a chat and say 'poke'?

QUOTE (DarthKev @ Jul 23 2010, 02:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just making it clear. 🙂 Also, at the risk of sounding like an utter n00b, how does one poke another through Gtalk? Do you mean an actual feature or just open a chat and say 'poke'?

Just open a chat and say hello...

xander

Seeing as this is the only active thread on this board, I'll post this here. darwinian, feel free to turn it into a new topic if you feel it should be.

I noticed the other day that the crate upgrade 'Subversion' can affect Gun Turrets, as well. If you use Subversion on a group of multiwinians in a Gun Turret, the turret will then fire Subversion shots instead of its normal rounds. These shots will have the same range as the normal rounds, but will convert enemy multiwinians to your color instead of killing them.

I haven't tested to see if this works on Flame Turrets or Rocket Turrets, nor have I tested whether or not other upgrades can affect any of the three turret types. However, I doubt any other upgrades would do anything as turrets can't move and are already impervious to most weapons, making sprint (I can't remember the name for some reason) and shields useless. Other upgrades merely bring in creatures/evilinians/futurewinians or destroy things.

QUOTE (DarthKev @ Jul 25 2010, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seeing as this is the only active thread on this board, I'll post this here. darwinian, feel free to turn it into a new topic if you feel it should be.

I noticed the other day that the crate upgrade 'Subversion' can affect Gun Turrets, as well. If you use Subversion on a group of multiwinians in a Gun Turret, the turret will then fire Subversion shots instead of its normal rounds. These shots will have the same range as the normal rounds, but will convert enemy multiwinians to your color instead of killing them.

I haven't tested to see if this works on Flame Turrets or Rocket Turrets, nor have I tested whether or not other upgrades can affect any of the three turret types. However, I doubt any other upgrades would do anything as turrets can't move and are already impervious to most weapons, making sprint (I can't remember the name for some reason) and shields useless. Other upgrades merely bring in creatures/evilinians/futurewinians or destroy things.

It should be noted that subversion does not so much affect turrets as it affects the DGs manning the turret. If you plop down a turret in a mass of DGs with subversion, then the turret will fire subversion bolts. This will only work with a normal turret, and not a flame turret or rocket turret.

As to other upgrades, hotfeet and shield will both affect the DGs manning a turret, but will have no effect on the turret itself. Shields, however, are not entirely useless. Remember that DGs attack the units that are manning the turret, not really the turret itself. They shoot their lasers, in the hopes of killing those units, and taking over. If the DGs manning the turret are shielded, then it is harder to take that turret. You may also want to experiment with hotfeet and rocket turrets. While I have not done this myself (it is better to be offensive than defensive, so I tend to pretty much ignore turrets that I possess), you might get a faster rate of fire with hotfeet.

xander

Hotfeet, that was the name I couldn't remember! However, I did not know it increased a multiwinian's rate of fire. Or are you thinking of Rage? I know Rage turns multiwinians into machine-gun-toting monsters, but I think Hotfeet only increases their movement speed.

One other note about Hotfeet. I've noticed that multiwinians using Hotfeet are prone to set nearby trees on fire just by running near them, as if their feet truly are on fire.

QUOTE (DarthKev @ Jul 26 2010, 12:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One other note about Hotfeet. I've noticed that multiwinians using Hotfeet are prone to set nearby trees on fire just by running near them, as if their feet truly are on fire.

Yup. That is one of the reasons that I like dark/magical forests plus hotfeet.

xander

Pop-pop anyone?