Submissions: The Story Contest

Well, here it is; the first ever (that I am aware of) Escape Velocity story contest. There are very few rules; basically the story can only be in one of the three Escape Velocity universes, but that's about it.

So far, we have approximately three participants;

Shlimazel
Pace
Hamster
Zapp
aluminousbump
ElGuapo7

No stories have yet been submitted. Once a story has been submitted, a link to their story will be added to the participant's name. Submissions should be posted to the EV/EVO chronicles forum, not to this topic specifically.

If you are writing a story for the contest, please let me know so that I can add you to the participant list! You can post here to inform me or you can PM me and I will add you.

Currently no end date is set for the submissions to end and the voting to begin, that's something we should discuss. What do you guys think on the subject?

This post has been edited by Shlimazel : 24 December 2008 - 11:19 AM

Added my submission.

Now… back to studying for exams 😉

I'm in! Hopefully I'll be able to post by early next week.

I'm considering joining, but am holding off for a little while, so I can work on story ideas before I commit.

In the mean time, I'd like to repeat a suggestion here that I mentioned to Shlimazel in a PM. I think that the winning story in this contest should be adapted to a plugin for EVN or the appropriate Guy's unofficial port. People could sign up to make the plug, or it could become a starter open-source project (so the Open Source TC guys can get some practical practice). What do you all think?

@geek, on Dec 18 2008, 06:14 PM, said in Submissions: The Story Contest:

I'm considering joining, but am holding off for a little while, so I can work on story ideas before I commit.

In the mean time, I'd like to repeat a suggestion here that I mentioned to Shlimazel in a PM. I think that the winning story in this contest should be adapted to a plugin for EVN or the appropriate Guy's unofficial port. People could sign up to make the plug, or it could become a starter open-source project (so the Open Source TC guys can get some practical practice). What do you all think?

That's kinda hard... maybe not if Pace's wins, as his is already written in mission-string format, but the one I've already made significant progress on could not be made into a plug-in via mission string. Most of the action happens in the ship in space.

EDIT: Here's the beginning of my story, more to come

This post has been edited by zapp : 19 December 2008 - 08:35 AM

Glad to have you aluminousbump, Zapp! I'll add you to the list and update the first post with the submission links.

Put up my submission, hope you like it! Sorry it's a little late.

Sure, sign me up. It's about time i dusted the rust off the ol' keyboard. 🙂

Cheers,
Guapo

Certainly! Welcome to the contest.

I've went through and rewrote some of mine, if you've read it you might wanna re-read it. Might change it some more. All improvements, I hope 😉

It's been quite a long while since anyone posted in the contest, so I propose that we set some form of deadline for the voting to begin and a winner to be declared. Who's with me? 😉

Makes sense to me. Of course, right now it'd be a three-man contest, but hey? I say give 'em another week.

Hi there guys I know this has been here for quite some time now but I have only just found this contest and have become interested in joining, except I wont be able to have a completed story for quite some time now. I was wondering if this was going to become a annual thing or if it is just once off?

~Snipe

Depends on whether this one ever gets closed 😉

But yes, it could be nice to hold this annually!

Or we could just have another one in a few months?

Well, this is the first one of these we have held, SnipeHunter, so I'm afraid we don't really have a set procedure yet. Still, as long as there is support for writing stories here I'm sure we will hold more contests like this in the future.

Zapp, makes sense. I'll start the voting next week.

I'm gonna have to bow out of the contest for now. My story's not coming together well at all, even after four different attempts at getting it off the ground. I plan to keep working on it, so eventually it'll be post-worthy. Just not nearly as soon as I would like. 😞

Ah, that's a shame aluminousbump. Well, there's always next time!

Speaking of next times, since we haven't seen any activity for a while now I'm ending the submissions and opening the voting. Get to the booths and make a difference!