Mesed up level

I made a level with a new background and other new stuff. I don't wan't to tell you until later. Whenever I try to play that level, It says the the memory is low but I know it's somthing else. Please help!

------------------
"Ice, ice, baby! It looks cold in that cavern! I'd freeze my wings off if I were there. Those snow-covered boulders look scrumptious."- Hector D. Byrd

At what point does it say memory is low? If it happens at the Teraknorn node screen, I know exactly what the problem is. If not, well, we'll see.

I would also like to proudly announce right here... that this is my 1000th post! I signed on to this board in March of '99, mere days after moki himself. It took me two-and-then-some years to get this far. I hope to take lessons from Mouse to correct that deficiency. 😄

Thank you all, and I hope this proves once and for all that I am not exactly a spam guy...

------------------
Greetings - I am your friendly neighborhood moderator. Over the coming years I shall force-feed you my biased one-sided liberal tripe that I find truthful based upon my own faulty and fragmented logic; excessive smileys 🙂 🙂 🙂 and bizarre TexT! formatting also help clarify my inane points. Welcome to the boards!

Perhaps I'm just being stupid, but why don't you try increasing FW's memory allotment. I realize that a "low memory" error rarely means "low memory" but what could it hurt?

------------------
Dr. Tall says: Taller is Better

Not always. If you enter connections to a node in this fashion in the node info box:

1   2
3   4
5   0
0   0

...you will get an out-of-memory message when you try to leave that level. That's the problem I was visualizing.

------------------
Greetings - I am your friendly neighborhood moderator. Over the coming years I shall force-feed you my biased one-sided liberal tripe that I find truthful based upon my own faulty and fragmented logic; excessive smileys 🙂 🙂 🙂 and bizarre TexT! formatting also help clarify my inane points. Welcome to the boards!

Ummm what do those numbers mean? I still don't understand your drawings of node connections.

------------------

I have increased the memory but It still didn't work. Spamguy, I only have one level. It only shows one node on the map. The warning pops up when I click on "new game". I tried making a new level and made that the first. Then I made the old level the second. The first level worked and the level with a new background didn't. It's just that level that doesn't work. :frown:

------------------
"Ice, ice, baby! It looks cold in that cavern! I'd freeze my wings off if I were there. Those snow-covered boulders look scrumptious."- Hector D. Byrd

Well then I'd suspect something in that custom background is freaking Ferazel's Wand out. This may sound stupid but I did this once...if you edit your level in the MASCOT folder and then move it to the FW folder to run it, it's easy to forget to make the same additions to your FW backgrounds/sprite files. I don't remember the error exactly but FW doesn't like it when you ask for a resource that doesn't exist.

------------------

Originally posted by Dr Tall:
**Well then I'd suspect something in that custom background is freaking Ferazel's Wand out. This may sound stupid but I did this once...if you edit your level in the MASCOT folder and then move it to the FW folder to run it, it's easy to forget to make the same additions to your FW backgrounds/sprite files. I don't remember the error exactly but FW doesn't like it when you ask for a resource that doesn't exist.

Sadly, the background is not the problem. I deleted the background in ResEdit and then changed the background, but it still didn't work.

------------------

(This message has been edited by Ice (edited 07-19-2001).)

Then perhaps your level is cursed. I'm actually being serious. MASCOT has been known to curse levels with random errors and crashes. The only remedy for a true MASCOT curse is to scrap the level. MASCOT can also curse entire World Data Files but that is much rarer, but of course, much more devestating if you don't have a backup copy. (That is one reason why some people suggest keeping your levels seperate until assembly time)

------------------

Originally posted by spamguy:
**I would also like to proudly announce right here... that this is my 1000th post! I signed on to this board in March of '99, mere days after moki himself. It took me two-and-then-some years to get this far. **

Good to know I'm not the only slow one. 🙂 Welcome to the club!

Has anyone here successfully implemented a custom parallax background with MASCOT yet? It seems to me like one of the more difficult, yet w00table challenges of level-making. 🙂

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.cjr.org/owners/aoltimewarner.asp")AOLTimeWarnerICQSportsIllustratedCNNAtlantaBravesHawksandThrashersDCComicsNetscapeHBO owns you.(/url)

I went through about 40 resource corruptions while making Well-Paid in Newfoundland. MASCOT just decides to corrupt your level. While it's easily fixed (start up ResEdit and recover data -- nothing is destroyed beyond repair here), it's catastrophic if it takes you a long time to notice. Anything you do to your level while the resource is corrupted will not get saved.

R&D; into this situation shows that increasing memory to MASCOT has an unconfirmed improvement to the situation.

Re: Glenn's question: Nope, no new parallax BGs out yet. Too many tech quirks around to make them look right.

------------------

Posted by Spamguy:
Nope, no new parallax BGs out yet.

That's probably becuase the old ones don't work right.... :rolleyes:

------------------

Although actaully Dr Tall Land has a custom background in several levels but its not from scratch.

------------------

Oh by the way, I set the Tile/Bkgd CLUT ID to zero and it worked!

------------------

OK That's good and uhh about that I said above...Dr Tall Land used to use a custom background, sorry about the misleading there :eek:

------------------