Feeback on the Sunday Tournament

So the last tournament has come and gone, hope everyone had fun - it certainly seems like you all did ๐Ÿ™‚

So, repeating myself slightly from the other topic:

What do people want to do about the "next one"? (Dare I say that so soon after that last marathon?) I am also still waiting on a reply from Number 279, but I have got an acknowledgement from him that he is collating his thoughts - so hopefully he will get back sometime fairly soon. In the meatime, here are a thoughts for your general persual ๐Ÿ˜‰

Who?

First (and foremost) - would anyone else like to play host next time? It didn't seem too bad in the end ๐Ÿ˜‰

When?

Are weekdays better for people? I think the general consensus here is that they probably are not - at least among us working folks ๐Ÿ˜‰ However, Texas Girl asked for weekday - does anyone else second that view? What about time of day? Perhaps we should be more Dingo-friendly? ๐Ÿ˜›

How?

What did people think of the guidelines? (link again (url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/rchristie/various/pop_pop/")here(/url) for those who forgot) Does anyone have suggestions now with the benefit of hindsight? Would password-ing tournament games have helped at all? My reasons for not wanting to do so, is that if newbie's want to join (assuming it is still possible) they should be encouraged to. Maybe communication problems are an issue here though as to what they should do to join?

(more later, I'll let you respond to these first!)

in my oppinion the last tournament was just perfect - nothing to complain about... i would really love to but i canยดt think of anything. ๐Ÿ™‚
as i suggested earlier we could have them AROUND every 10 days...one on a weekend, the next one and a half weeks later on a weekday. i personally donยดt care if it is on a weekend or a weekday as long as it is at about the time of the last one. i canยดt play earlier and i canยดt play later. (but on the other hand: i donยดt have to participate in EVERY tournament there is, do i?) ๐Ÿ™‚

------------------

by the way, what the hell is feeback?? iยดve gone through all my dictionaries but i canยดt find it!?

------------------

Originally posted by lumisa:
**by the way, what the hell is feeback?? iยดve gone through all my dictionaries but i canยดt find it!?

Feeback is something for those who are not at the top of the ranking of a tournament. They need incentives to take part in upcoming tournaments again and therefore get their starting fee(s) back. You know!

I have no negative feedback on this tournament, too, except one: You should buy a nice powerbook for Ryoko, so that she can play in parallel ๐Ÿ™‚

Furthermore I agree with Lumisa's suggestion to have the tourneys every one and a half week. I think in addition to Texas Girl, nytrO can play only on weekdays, too.

Anyway thanks, Crono, for hosting the tourney! It was fun and next time I hope I will perform better ๐Ÿ˜‰

------------------
Have a look on my inofficial tourney-system: (url="http://"http://pop-pop.webhop.net")http://pop-pop.webhop.net(/url) ๐Ÿ™‚
Hyko, the great Offender ๐Ÿ˜‰

(This message has been edited by Hyko (edited 04-07-2003).)

I have already posted my thoughts about the Tourney on the Results thread so I won't repeat myself. I'm looking forward to the next one but I won't be able to join a weekday one because of work. I have no complaints if the next one is on a weekday so that people like Texas Girl and nytrO can compete too.

As for hosting perhaps you could do it again ๐Ÿ™‚ unless someone else fancies a go.

------------------

Omedito gozaimas once again lumi-neechan! ^^
::blinks and rubs eyes::
I'm sure this topic didn't exist when I checked 10 minutes ago ^
^;;

Originally posted by Hyko:
**Feeback is something for those who are not at the top of the ranking of a tournament. They need incentives to take part in upcoming tournaments again and therefore get their starting fee(s) back. You know!

lol ^^ Sore yo! Since I am not in the top ranking for the tournaments anymore (maybe too long away, or maybe (more likely!) just never as good as I hoped I was ^^;;; ) I therefore need my 'starting fee'-back too. So I totally agree with Hyko-san:

Originally posted by Hyko:
**I have no negative feedback on this tournament, too, except one: You should buy a nice powerbook for Ryoko, so that she can play in parallel:)

Are you reading this Crono-kun? ^_~

Originally posted by lumisa:
as i suggested earlier we could have them AROUND every 10 days...one on a weekend, the next one and a half weeks later on a weekday. i personally donยดt care if it is on a weekend or a weekday as long as it is at about the time of the last one. i canยดt play earlier and i canยดt play later. (but on the other hand: i donยดt have to participate in EVERY tournament there is, do i?

I'm not going to be free weekdays or weekends for the next month (and maybe more)! No more UK for a while ^^ (but just when it was getting sunny too >< ) More truthfully, I'll be free, but no net access -_-;

Well-played to everyone yesterday ::checks watch:: it was still yesterday, wasn't it? ^^;
Have lots of fun while I'm away, and no getting too good, ne? ^
~

------------------

Originally posted by Crono:
would anyone else like to play host next time?

What all is involved? I'm sure most of us would be willing to help out if needed, even if we'd perhaps prefer to just play. ๐Ÿ˜„

Are weekdays better for people?... What about time of day? Perhaps we should be more Dingo-friendly? ๐Ÿ˜›

Weekends are generally better for me, though I'd probably be able to make some weekday tournaments as well. The time of the last one was about right for me too. I think what poor Dingo needs to do (and we need to help out) is find some players in his hemisphere: Oz, NZ, Singapore, Taiwan, Japan... and then they could form the Eastern League. I mean, there have to be some folks on that side of the world playing pop-pop...

What did people think of the guidelines?

They seemed to work well... but really everyone playing already knew how to deal with tournament play so barely needed to consult the guidelines. The problem will come if we have a bunch on new players. But most of the rules are obviously reasonable, so people should naturally agree with them without any trouble.

Does anyone have suggestions now with the benefit of hindsight? Would password-ing tournament games have helped at all?

I think it would have, as the only problem I had was I played two people who ended up not being in the tournament. Things were long enough without having to deal with that! and besides that it was confusing. Especially now that we have Hyko's great system, I think we should only let registered players participate. Hyko, is there a way to post a game password on the tournament page so only people who have signed in will know it? I'm all for letting people join spontaneously, but they should sign up if they're going to. And really they should read the guidelines too, so they'll realize that by joining they obligate themselves to stick around for the whole thing.

What we might do is host a game whose title is the tourney system url: or even better the url of a page that describes, briefly, what the tourneys are and has links to Crono's and Hyko's pages. I have an extra mac lying around, so I could be on the tracker twice to host that announcement game if needed.

(Well, ****. I should read things more carefully! :D)

------------------
''When ambiguity is outlawed, only outlaws will be ambiguous.'
(url="http://"http://squibix.net")Squibix Web(/url)

(This message has been edited by Danny (edited 04-07-2003).)

I thought the tournament was great- until I had some not quite unexpected conflicts (it's hard to explain) and had to drop out. I really wanted to play though, and hope that i can play in the next one...

As far as that goes, i think the timeing on this worked out quite well...it was around 2:30 my time. I could manage most weekdays if it was about an hour later, but don't know how that would work out with the rest of you.

I think the whole scoring system looked sleek and well set up.

I don't really think that passwords are nesscessary, it just has to be clear that there is a tournament game going on (games labeled tourney or some such) and players in the tournament should be well marked: {name} worked well, i thought, or the old system of ย•name.

Danny: Thanks for the exhaustively well researched definition of 'feedback', but lumisa was asking about the mysterious word 'feeback' used in the topics subject. ๐Ÿ˜‰
I haven't heard of it either, though Hyko's definition sounds about right...

Originally posted by : o:
Danny: <you're an idiot who can't read!>

D'oh. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Ah well, all I can say is: I read words whole so I just filled in the missing letter. Actually, all I can really say is:

:redface:

One of these days,,, I swear Ill make it to a tournament,,, problem is, I live in Hawaii, and I dont like to think much, so figuring out what time it is here when it is 2:30pm on the East Coast would be way to hard for me. Let alone the UK,,,, geeze, could some just translate it into Hawaiian time for me????

------------------

BY the way,,, what is that karma thing next to my alias???

------------------

Originally posted by Danny:
**Weekends are generally better for me, though I'd probably be able to make some weekday tournaments as well. The time of the last one was about right for me too. I think what poor Dingo needs to do (and we need to help out) is find some players in his hemisphere: Oz, NZ, Singapore, Taiwan, Japan... and then they could form the Eastern League. I mean, there have to be some folks on that side of the world playing pop-pop...

I love you people...sniff...

It's possible, nay, probable that there are in fact quite a number of potential players over this side of the world. I'm sure I met and played quite a few in the early days of the tracker. One problem timing...I rarely get to check the tracker during (what I assume is) pop-pop local prime time i.e. 4 to 10pm due to what I laughingly refer to as my life. That's why I only ever see you folks when I'm dead or drunk or both. x_+

On the occasions I have been able to hit the tracker during this time, the traffic is sadly sparse. I'm guessing that any potential players would also note the general lack of activity during that time and become somewhat jaded with the whole thing, not bothering to check during Euro and US rush hour (being less resilient and masochistic than yours truly). I will try to check more often and see if I can drum up some support.

For what it's worth, here are some general time comparisons between Australia, Europe and America:

US morning = Euro afternoon/ evening = Australia night/ graveyard.

That's what makes it hard for me...you have to have both Europe and the US catered for. I'm not whinging, I understand, it's just the way it is. Given we're now off daylight savings, things have changed again. I am at 1000+ GMT if anybody wants to calculate it. I figure this means my best chance of a well attended tournament is about 2AM local time, which would be about 4PM Europe and quite early morning US times (depending on zones). A Saturday or Sunday would be good (the lady and the lager notwithstanding). Now I see we have a player in Hawaii (welcome, btw!)...well that throws another onion in the ointment. ๐Ÿ˜›

Ah well, something will sort itself out. In the meantime, I'm glad you're all having lots of fun. ๐Ÿ™‚

Ryoko-chan, were you in England this whole time? No wonder the J-League is foundering...(btw, no I'm not Tenchi, oh, my goddess. ^_^ )

Dingo - lost dog in the Wired. Txen eht nepO

------------------
Hi. I'm Dingo. Can I have your baby?

Originally posted by Dingo:
**For what it's worth, here are some general time comparisons between Australia, Europe and America:

US morning = Euro afternoon/ evening = Australia night/ graveyard.

That's what makes it hard for me...you have to have both Europe and the US catered for. I'm not whinging, I understand, it's just the way it is. Given we're now off daylight savings, things have changed again. I am at 1000+ GMT

It has just got worse. Honu is GMT-10, so we in the UK are GMT+1, and you are GMT+10. We almost span 24 hours now ๐Ÿ˜ž

When it is (say) 9am on Saturday in Hawaii, it will be 8pm (Sat) here in the UK, and 5am on Sunday for you. This is not good ๐Ÿ˜›

So lets try 11pm on Friday evening for Hawaii - that makes 10am here on Sat morning in the UK, and therefore 7pm Saturday for Dingo.

How does that sound? ๐Ÿ˜‰

incidentally, (before anyone replies) that wasn't meant to ber serious ๐Ÿ˜‰

Sounds Great! I play my pop pop best at three in the morning after friday nights!
๐Ÿ˜‰ yes, i realize it was a joke...but i'm kind of serious...

Actually Danny, I was quite impressed with your diligent research....although your lack of faith in lumisa's vocabulary is rather disturbing!
------------------
:)ย™

(This message has been edited by ๐Ÿ˜ฎ (edited 04-08-2003).)

I obvously cannot spell, but I refuse to edit that tiny message just for the sake of a typo ๐Ÿ˜‰

Added a proper link to the tournament results in HTML format (yes, I was bored, and couldn't sleep tonight... and for once, actually had access to my own computer ๐Ÿ˜‰ ). (url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/rchristie/various/pop_pop/t_results/2003_04_06.html")Click here(/url) to see it in all it's (lack of) glory.

Basically copied the results from Hyko's pages so that anyone can see them (not just those who were playing) and added the results of the knockout tree plus final rankings. Decided it would be nice to do some proxy icons on the ranking list, since it looked a bit dull without them. If people like it, and want an icon - mail it to me, and I'll put it up. 96x96 px, shrunk to 48x48 unless you are lumisa. cough I mean, unless you came first. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Kudos/criticism is welcome as ever.

Originally posted by :redface::
Actually Danny, I was quite impressed with your diligent research....although your lack of faith in lumisa's vocabulary is rather disturbing!

Hehe, I think I was very sleepy at the time. I wasn't actually thinking, you see. ๐Ÿ˜„ 'Feedback? What? Well, I know what that is!' Ah, whatever. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Crono, that looks great! Now I have to think up a clever icon, on the oh-so-slim chance I ever break the top four again (I have the feeling I already had my bright shining moment when I finished third once).

------------------
'When ambiguity is outlawed, only outlaws will be ambiguous.'

Originally posted by Crono:
**So lets try 11pm on Friday evening for Hawaii - that makes 10am here on Sat morning in the UK, and therefore 7pm Saturday for Dingo.

How does that sound? ;-)**

Hmmm, 4 am huh. Quiet house, no competition for the computer, large pot of coffee. Who needs sleep?

๐Ÿ™‚

------------------

: o posted:
Sounds Great! I play my pop pop best at three in the morning after friday nights!

Texas Girl:
Hmmm, 4 am huh. Quiet house, no competition for the computer, large pot of coffee. Who needs sleep?

Very admirable indeed, what great poppers. ๐Ÿ™‚
I would also like to put myself forward as someone willing to play at totally stupid times. Go ahead Crono, give me your best shot! ๐Ÿ™‚

------------------

(This message has been edited by SHOES (edited 04-09-2003).)

Originally posted by SHOES:
I would also like to put myself forward as someone willing to play at totally stupid times. Go ahead Crono, give me your best shot!:)

Yeah! It's 5 am for me here, a perfectly reasonable hour. I say let's go for it! ๐Ÿ˜„

------------------
'When ambiguity is outlawed, only outlaws will be ambiguous.'

(This message has been edited by Danny (edited 04-09-2003).)