Startrek Ares

Hera is one of the easiest scenario creation tools I have seen. And it takes 5-10 minutes maximum to make a level - you can blame laziness for rest of the time 😉

------------------
look! its a signature!

Originally posted by Patrick:
**Hera is one of the easiest scenario creation tools I have seen. And it takes 5-10 minutes maximum to make a level - you can blame laziness for rest of the time;)

Well some levels take longer than others but laziness does seem to play a factor. That being said, I'm feeling extra non-lazy right now so I bet I could have everything done by tomorrow but I'll make it Sunday just in case I fall asleep or something. Just two more mission to make and then briefings to write for the last 4 missions and it will be doneish.

------------------
Ares and EV:Nova plugin writer and all around helpful guy...

Hmmm yes, I'm not sure that I would agree entirely with you there Patrick...
5-10 minutes for a crappy level perhaps, but a little longer for a good one.
But I agree with you, Hera is quite straightforward to use, though with a long learning curve.
(BTW - a few days more to War 3 + laziness = a few weeks!)

------------------
Oh, so it is another bug hunt then...

Count me in.

thomasbuhler@msn.com

------------------
That wedge of cheese
can't hurt anyone! So
don't dread it - it even
says not to

WHAT?!?! IT'S ONLY BEEN 4 DAYS!? I CANT BELIEVE IT! i usually find a week has passed at this point lol

------------------
Insanity has its advantages

Well all but the final 2 missions are finished, and the only reason that they aren't is because I didn't want them to be as I had planed (almost the same as previous missions but with different ships), I've been going back through all the other missions and filling out the briefing text, giving all the planets and stations names, and that sort of thing.

Things still left to be done:

1. Finish tidying up competed missions
  2. Get Star Trek style systems map from firebird
  3. Do the final missions
  4. Release final beta to testers
  5. Release ST:Ares to the public

------------------

(This message has been edited by Ragashingo (edited 01-01-2003).)

Originally posted by Ragashingo:
**Well all but the final 2 missions are finished, and the only reason that they aren't is because I didn't want them to be as I had planed (almost the same as previous missions but with different ships), I've been going back through all the other missions and filling out the briefing text, giving all the planets and stations names, and that sort of thing.

3. Do the final missions

heh, in other words you are saying: "Give us a month or so..."

------------------
Insanity has its advantages

rember last time we sayed a month, and a year later (almost....)

------------------
Peace, Love, and Chicken Grease
(url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/webboard/Forum26/HTML/007247.html")Event Horizon 2 Sign-Up(/url)
(url="http://"http://evula.com") EVula's Lair(/url)| (url="http://"http://starfleet-ssf.com/index2.html")The SSF(/url) | (url="http://"mailto:jager@evula.net")mailto:jager@evula.net(/url)jager@evula.net

Originally posted by U.E. Admiral:

**Well all but the final 2 missions are finished, and the only reason that they aren't is because I didn't want them to be as I had planed (almost the same as previous missions but with different ships), I've been going back through all the other missions and filling out the briefing text, giving all the planets and stations names, and that sort of thing.

3. Do the final missions

heh, in other words you are saying: "Give us a month or so..."

Yes, exactly...

------------------

Things that are done and are being done

1. All but the last mission complete
  2. All but 1 briefing complete (2 if you count that the last mission isn't created yet)
  3. Attempting to add status strings for each mission... This is harder than it sounds because of a fun Bug in Hera that will delete all previous string resources if you click the wrong button... I've gone to a backup 5 times within an hour today...

So progress continues...

Does anybody even look at the Mission Status menu ever?

------------------

**Things that are done and are being done

1. All but the last mission complete
  2. All but 1 briefing complete (2 if you count that the last mission isn't created yet)
  3. Attempting to add status strings for each mission... This is harder than it sounds because of a fun Bug in Hera that will delete all previous string resources if you click the wrong button... I've gone to a backup 5 times within an hour today...

So progress continues...

Does anybody even look at the Mission Status menu ever?

Yes, but not very often. Still a good idea to implament them anyway.
What i would like to see is better graphics for this plug-in, i've been trying to find a good site with 3d models of ST ships but so far most of them have broken download links.

------------------
"...yet gradually we recovered, venturing cautiously back into the void of space afraid of what we might find there."

Originally posted by Skyfox:
**Yes, but not very often. Still a good idea to implament them anyway.
What i would like to see is better graphics for this plug-in, i've been trying to find a good site with 3d models of ST ships but so far most of them have broken download links.

Well the graphics we have are the graphics we have...

As for Status Strings I've given up on them... I worked for 3 hours even saving after I verified that each mission's strings were working and I couldn't get past mission 3 without it deleting all the previous strings... So I'll guess people will just have to pretend that the mission status menu says something if they check it.

------------------

Hmm, yes. As one of the Beta Testers I do look in here regularily to see if there's anything new afoot.

As for status strings I dont bother with them, as I could never get them to work properly. Probably lack of ability on my part, but I gave up on them after considerable effort. Lack of status strings will not have an effect the stable working of the plug at any rate, though it may annoy some of the more fastidious space heroes out there who like to know how they are doing.....

Regarding the sprites in the ST plug, I think they are fine designwise, except for the Cardassian Galor Class which is a little dodgy as it rotates. However, many of the sprites are too small, and I have pointed this out previously. If the player has difficulty in telling where his ship is, then the sprite is too small!! Can't you make them a little bigger?

I am looking forward to the next beta release...

------------------
Oh, so it is another bug hunt then...

**Well the graphics we have are the graphics we have...

As for Status Strings I've given up on them... I worked for 3 hours even saving after I verified that each mission's strings were working and I couldn't get past mission 3 without it deleting all the previous strings... So I'll guess people will just have to pretend that the mission status menu says something if they check it.

Hmm, weird.

Anyway, I finaly did manage to access a site with most of the models with downloads that actualy worked. However, I have to figure out how the texturing works on them... But if you are interested, I could fix the models up and render it. Naturaly, the origanal makers of the models need credit and all that...

The main graphics that I have qualms with are the Galaxy, Galor class, and the Inrepid(sp).

------------------
"...yet gradually we recovered, venturing cautiously back into the void of space afraid of what we might find there."

**Hmm, weird.

Anyway, I finaly did manage to access a site with most of the models with downloads that actualy worked. However, I have to figure out how the texturing works on them... But if you are interested, I could fix the models up and render it. Naturaly, the origanal makers of the models need credit and all that...

The main graphics that I have qualms with are the Galaxy, Galor class, and the Inrepid(sp).

Sure... that would be great

------------------

I deleted the copy of STAres a while ago,(sometime in november). Frankly i thought it had died. Where was the fileshare to DL it from? I need it agian to get the render size of the sprites.

------------------

**I deleted the copy of STAres a while ago,(sometime in november). Frankly i thought it had died. Where was the fileshare to DL it from? I need it agian to get the render size of the sprites.

I'll get a copy on the web sometime this afternoon

------------------

Skyfox: The file is coming... I can't get into my iDisk on this computer... I'll have it up soon

------------------

Ok Skyfox, the plugin is up at homepage.mac.com/brookeview in the file sharing section

------------------

Sorry brookveiw, finals week hit me kinda hard.

I didn't see the STARES file in your file share.

Most of the models i have are textured and ready these include:
Klingon BOP
Galaxy Class
Defiant
Galor Glass
Jem'haddor(SP?) fighter

with the rest of the models coming hopefully soon.

------------------