Graphics Contest

I think I agree with mag - it's too difficult too even rate all the images and collect these into a total marking thing. Instead, there'll be a general impression at tht end who's was better and that'll be it.

Saving this topic from dropping out of vision

Nice Save!

------------------
Creator of the great new plugin for ares "Earth's Journey Back To The Stars". Have a nice day.

Hmmmm, something I missed while I was away. Anyway, I'm changing the rules of the contest:

1 Karma point for each person who enters with the full 7 pictures.
Another Karma point for the winner.

By order of Sundered Angel.

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only
Ares Webboard Moderator, and all-around Nice Guy

Yes! That makes it so much more worth my while 😉

Although of course there's nothing to stop anyone who wants to from just stopping by and putting in 7 horrible pictures. Why don't you change it to "...enters with all 7 pictures with visible effort shown in their fabrication."?

------------------
"Once, just once, I'd like to be able to land somewhere and say, 'Behold, I am the Archangel Gabriel.'"
"I fail to see the humor in that situation, Doctor."
"Naturally. You could hardly claim to be an angel with those pointed ears, Mister Spock. But say you landed someplace with a pitchfork "

:frown:

throws away his 7 gray-screen images 😉

------------------
just take my post, and imagine everything is speeled right.

Originally posted by Pallas Athene:
**Yes! That makes it so much more worth my while;)

Although of course there's nothing to stop anyone who wants to from just stopping by and putting in 7 horrible pictures. Why don't you change it to "...enters with all 7 pictures with visible effort shown in their fabrication."?

Well, I could. Or I could just warn the would-be cheater that I get really itchy about bad graphics.

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only

True - "Anyone that spams the competition loses 2 karma" for a net loss of 1.

------------------
"Once, just once, I'd like to be able to land somewhere and say, 'Behold, I am the Archangel Gabriel.'"
"Naturally. You could hardly claim to be an angel with those pointed ears, Mister Spock. But say you landed someplace with a pitchfork "

Hang in there fellas, it's going to be a looooong time before I submit my 7.

Hmm. I probably won't win, but I'll put some effort into making my beam media work and try to put up 7 battle scenes. I might get third 😄 (out of four :sad: ).

------------------
Formerly-Rampant Human-Coded AI

(This message has been edited by Fleet Admiral Darkk (edited 07-31-2001).)

Originally posted by Fleet Admiral Darkk:
**(out of four :sad:).

I assume that wasn't what you meant

------------------

Do you lose status/points for submitting lots of images that all feature ships of the same race? I'm trying to incorporate this with actually doing something useful.

Well, I see no problem with seeing different ships of the same race. But the more ships you show, the more of your talent you showcase, remember. Every edge you can get is good...

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only

Here are my next 2 entries, please give me your opinion, if not in words, then ratings.

Posted Image
Posted Image

(This message has been edited by Count Altair El Alemein (edited 07-31-2001).)

I see you don't want to give your opinions in words or ratings.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I'm now inserting subsections clause C into the graphics contest:

If one member does enter 7 pictures into the contest for judging, and no challengers step forth with any other pictures, then regardless of judging outcome, he must win be default.

(This message has been edited by Count Altair El Alemein (edited 08-06-2001).)

Well, I'd rate the Assault Carrier the same as the Corvette, and the other two a point lower on aesthetics. Overall, the Assault Carrier and Corvette get ratings of three, and the other two get overall ratings of two. And yes, I'm still using my rating scheme.

------------------
(Insert Signature Here)

Originally posted by Wyvern:
**Well, I'd rate the Assault Carrier the same as the Corvette, and the other two a point lower on aesthetics. Overall, the Assault Carrier and Corvette get ratings of three, and the other two get overall ratings of two. And yes, I'm still using my rating scheme.

I find your rating scheme terribly amusing, but sadly, this contest is no place for joking.

Originally posted by Count Altair El Alemein:
I find your rating scheme terribly amusing, but sadly, this contest is no place for joking.

I'm not joking.
As I said, I would rather make a definite ranking difference between a good ship and a great one than between a good ship and a bad one, especially since I don't expect any entries below the 'good' category.

------------------
(Insert Signature Here)

Ahh, but you see, those are great ships. If you are waiting for ships that are better, just let me tell you this: there won't be any.

Just out of interest, would you rate this:
Posted Image

3/10?

Going on just that one shot: 3/5 in textures and 4/5 in aesthetics, mostly because that shot doesn't show the thing off very well. It's poorly lit, and the texture looks much simpler than it really is. Going off of other shots I've seen of the same thing it would rate 5/5 in both categories.
Your images are good, but, imho, too cluttered. It's hard to see what the things actually look like. The textures are impressive, but the overall effect is to conceal the appearance of the ship, rather than accenting it. Again, better lighting might help.

------------------
(Insert Signature Here)