Spacing Non-square Sprites

I have a problem with certain EV plug-in sprites that have been rendered wider than they are tall (or taller than they are wide). I can't find a convenient way to space the rows out vertically (or horizontally) to make Ares able to use the sprite. Does anyone know of a practical way to do this that does not involve attempting to eyeball the sprite rows? I am not intimidated by using Photoshop (if that is necessary)...

------------------
"Si hanc sententiam legere potes, tum es
et optime educatus et vitam non habens."

(This message has been edited by LoneIgadzra (edited 05-11-2001).)

Mmm...
The only answer I can think of that ISN'T tedious would be "Use Graphicconverter to stretch the sucker until it's the correct height/width!"
I'm pretty sure that's not the effect you're looking for.
My only answer would be to use Graphicconverter's copy-paste tools after zooming the pictures until you can see individual pixels. This might work, but 2D editing really isn't my thing.

------------------
Formerly-Rampant Human-Coded AI

I've dealt with this problem before, using Photoshop.(list=1)
()Take the width. Increase the canvas height to equal it. (ie, make it square)
(
)Find out how much free space you've got at the bottom.
()Divide this by 12.
(
)At the top of the picture, add this amount of space.
()In between each row of pictures, add twice this amount of space (be careful that your rows are all equal, or this will end up looking ugly).
(
)You should end up with the same amount of space at the top and the bottom.
(*)Fill in the background in vivid green or whatever, as per the normal with Ares sprites.
(/list=a)

Hopefully that wasn't too confusing. It worked for me.

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only
Ares Webboard Moderator, and all-around Nice Guy

(This message has been edited by Sundered Angel (edited 05-12-2001).)

Thanks, what I was hoping to avoid was counting pixels as I dragged rows around, but I never thought of applying some math to make that method workable. Doh!

------------------
"Si hanc sententiam legere potes, tum es
et optime educatus et vitam non habens."