SERIOUS BUG Report

I know that only one person will be able to sort this bug is Nathan Lamont, but I emailed him 3 weeks ago about this bug and he hasnt replied. So I may as well tell everyone here on the Ares Boards.

At sometime every few weeks or days, Hera switches the ids and names of all the objects around. People like Slug will realise that is disasterous. For example...

Lets say the Gaitori Cruiser has an ID of 300 and an explosion has an ID of 600. This bug will switch the ID's. Now the inital object editor for every level with a Gaitori Cruiser will not change the selection to the Gaitori Cruisers new ID or name, so for example, Easy Street will start with not Gaitori cruisers, but explosions and so forth.

Hera cannot, it seems, change this back, so the only thing I can do is bin it and load a backup copy. This can mean a few hours work down the drain :mad:

I decided to let everyone know this cause it has appeared twice on the same day I posted this topic, and if Nathan Lamont doesnt reply to my email soon then I will have to email one of the Moderators who will forward it to andrew who will forward it to Nathan with a priority status. This is a serious bug that could put some people off making mods.

(This message has been edited by Zell (edited 11-13-2000).)

I think he's not replying to emails. I'm sure he's reading them, though.

------------------
"You can get much further with kind words and a loaded gun than you can with kind words alone."
- Al Capone

my entirre computer acts like that, heraa works fine thougdh (plz exuse any bad spelling im sick right now)

------------------

I know I lost a week's work to that bug. So much for my new races.
I hope they give this top priority

An interesting bug! Could it be in someway connected to the bun in my plug (Aud Crisis) where Hera has started creating multiple copies of items, all with different resource IDs though. It seems to top out around the 1200 objects after which the object editor fills up with garbage, and the plug becomes unusable. It appears to be stable until this happens though...

------------------
Oh, so it is another bug hunt then...

Originally posted by Zell:
... At sometime every few weeks or days, Hera switches the ids and names of all the objects around. People like Slug will realise that is disasterous...

This is not a bug I've been able to recreate. If anyone can provide me with a clear, coherent, detailed description of exactly what happens, it would be much more likely that I could address it.

... and if Nathan Lamont doesnt reply to my email soon then I will have to email one of the Moderators who will forward it to andrew who will forward it to Nathan with a priority status.

I don't reply to all bug reports regarding Hera. You shouldn't expect a reply unless your report is providing me with information that I don't have, and your report is clear and thorough enough to suggest that my asking a follow-up question would garner new relevant information.

I consider the relationship between the developer and the beta tester similar to the relationship between two teammates, not like the relationship between a customer service representative and a customer.

Teammates don't need to be indulged during the game. They only need to know they can rely on each other to do the right thing at the right time.

If you feel that a beta tester should be treated like a customer, then I'm not the developer you want to beta test for.

If you think that, somehow, you can agitate me into fixing something by "escalating" your bug report, it might be helpful for you to realize that I developed Hera because I wanted to, and not because I am obligated to. Ambrosia is not paying me for its development, and I am not bound to develop it, except by my own desire.

The best way to get a bug fixed in Hera is to spend your energy trying to express clearly, concisely, and specifically to me exactly how a bug is manifested. Separate the facts from your feelings about the bug, present those facts to me plainly, and you will enable me to address the problem.