Ship classes aren't exactly what they are.

As I sit here late at night I realize something.
Those ship sizes that are assigned in ares aren't precisly accurate. I suppose they're fine, but I've figured out some alterant sizings. Firepower isn't taken into account, but then again, the firepower of some ships in Ares is a teensy bit deficient.

In Ares, ship sizes go as follows, in order of importance and mass.

1: Fighter
2: Cruiser
3: Hvy Cruiser
4: Gunship
5: HVD
6: Carrier.

Whilst in many other things... things are a bit different.

1: Fighter
2: Gunship (Or Patrol Boat, Picket ship)
3: Destroyer
4: Heavy Destroyer. Like a cruiser, but with more weapons than armor.
5: Cruisers. The backbone. The most heavily armored, and armed.
6: Heavy Cruisers. Impressive ships.
7: Carriers. Keystone of any fleet.

Just some food for thoguht.

------------------
Ne Cede Malis Sed Contra Audientor Ito

Yes. Escape Velocity and EVO have the whole cruiser concept messed up. Cruisers are supposed to cruise, meaning have decent speed, manouverability, and Medium size.

Ares has the Destroyer concept messed up too. During WWI, when naval warfare was starting to catch on, everyone decided to build bigger and bigger. This trend continued into WWII, where we saw such monstrosities as the Bismark and the Yamato (which were nearly 1/3rd of a mile long). However, someone decided to build small. Torpedo boats, which were little more than schooners with torpedo launchers, tore these capital ships to iron shreds. Then the Americans decided to build "torpedoboat destroyers", or "destroyers". Destroyers should be able to destroy small fightercraft with ease, buthave a hard time tearing into carriers and such.

------------------
Good laws are produced by extremely bad manners.
-Alduran Pirate Captain Macrobius
StarLance

Your forgetting battleships. They're the ones that are most heavily armed and armored. Not to mention 16 inch shellguns that fire fifteen miles...

And there's also frigates.

Yes, I've known about the discrepancies for a long time...

------------------
"You can get much further with kind words and a loaded gun than you can with kind words alone."
- Al Capone

(This message has been edited by Mag Steelglass (edited 10-28-2000).)

theres only one more battle ship still in service. Mainly becasue 15 miles is nothing in modern warfare. A battle ship would take a cruise missle hit and it would be over. Which is depressing because i was always fond of battleship fights in WWII. Ive drawn lots of space battleships and the likes (like battle fleet:Gothic, for those that know what im talking about)

...... Masters of Orion II has it right, and is really fun for an old game

(This message has been edited by Pyro (edited 10-28-2000).)

Yeap.

MOOII is a fun fun game, but the ship design system, while really diverse, when you actually get into the battles, only big beamer ships win most of the time. And the battle-area is so small, that everyone is within range of everyone else right at the start. There's no real strategy other than having some big bruiser ships with big guns to shoot. That's a big argument in their community. A lot of people would like it if the ships started out 2-3 times as far away. Then they'd give missles and fighters time to engage, and long range weaponry would become strategically important.

Yeah.

------------------
Ne Cede Malis Sed Contra Audientor Ito

I have a friend who invented a very nice type of ship in MOOII. It was medium size, and all that was on it was completely maxed-out torpedoes. The guardian took around five salvos from his fleet of these things before dying...

------------------
"You can get much further with kind words and a loaded gun than you can with kind words alone."
- Al Capone

If you keep reseaching (even after those "miituazationI" crap) you can minituize so small u can put mauler devices on frigates. missles are good in that gaem untill you get maulers, death rays, lightning, fields, or well... stellar converters.

BTW. I love reflection fields and black hole generators.

------------------

Sorry. I've never played it. I have it, but it needs a patch to fix it so it can work, and, when I download the patch, it's corrupted from both places I can download it. :mad:

It seems like it should be a good game, though.

------------------
- Al Capone

Personally, I can't wait for MOO3.

------------------
I have a plan so ingenius even an idiot could have devised it. On my command, we will line up our ships and fly straight into the enemy death-cannons clogging them with wreckage.

dont download the patch you dont need it and the patch sux anyways

------------------

When I try to run it without the patch, it gives me an error and doesn't run...

------------------
- Al Capone

well than your computer just sux 😉

------------------

Just a few minor corrections to Slug's post.

The destroyer was conceived before WWII. Torpedo boats are nice ships, relatively cheap and a lucky shot can send a destroyer to the bottom. But hardly as menacing as described in Slug's post. Cruisers and capital ships can take a few hits before going down.

If anyone is interested in naval battles, they should check out the Battle of Jutland, arguably the largest naval engagement of modern times. It was fought during WWI. The British Royal Navy faced the German Imperial Fleet which was trying to break the blockade. At one point, the British fleet maneuvered into a better position. But through superior tactics, (not to mention newer ships, which translated into faster and more powerful ships) the Germans managed to escape and the battle ended with a German tactical victory (There were more British losses.) and a British strategic victory. (The German fleet was contained for the rest of the war.) You can read the details in your local library.

El Spamo's complaint about a confusion in ship classes is not only very much true for Ares and EV/O but even in reality. Today, it is difficult to tell the exact differences between a frigate and a destroyer or a destroyer and a cruiser.

Pyro was right to point out how detrimental modern development of missiles is to naval warships. When a single missile can take down a cruiser, the tendency to build large ships declines. Nowadays, there are missile cruisers, missile destroyers, even missile frigates (not to mention missile submarines). In one sense, this is sad because the chances of seeing an old-fashioned gun battle where warships duel diminished. Nowadays, warships are armed with anti-missile weapons and anti-air guns. Even if they are armed with batteries, those were probably installed with shore bombardment in mind.

Like Laguna, I am also waiting for MOOIII. Let's just hope that it comes out for the Macintosh.

Side note: Doesn't this topic belong in the Trash Talk forum?

------------------
"Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam"

(This message has been edited by htjyang (edited 11-01-2000).)

Frigates are supposed to be the tough little ****ers. Little ships with big guns, slow.

That was
....almost an intelligent post, Rebel.

------------------
Those who make up the rules, do not play the game. We, however, do.
-Imperial Captain Alexi Darvonsal
StarLance