I live

Sorry for my absence. There was a problem with my nlamont@arescentral email address.

There should be a new beta available shortly, which fixes some major bugs.

If you have experienced the invisible list bug, where the items in some lists are not visible, and you're willing to spend some time to help fix it, please let me know at nlamont@arescentral.com.

Could you possibly post a simple list as to the major bugs fixed in b6? I would like to know if the "cannot load a sound/sprite" thing's fixed.

Sorry, but I can't do programming or anything. (But I'm keeping the M2 source on my HD as an incentive to learn)

------------------
-Pallas Athene, {M}ilitia pilot and representative to the Obish Consensus

This is the current list of things that are new:

-- fixed bug in Hera which could cause illegal data to be inserted into scenario file if an action was removed from an object; Ares would crash or complain that there were too many sprites and sounds; to fix a scenario file which suffers from this bug, open it with this new version of Hera, make any minor change, and save it.

- fixed omision of fields in Hera's Action Editor for the "Create Object Inherit Dest" action

- fixed bug in Hera which could cause it to be confused if more than one Scenario file was open at a time; it could fail to find resources and make them available, or fail to save them if changed

- fixed a bug in Hera which caused the Object Editor to put an object's offense value in the maximum velocity field

- fixed a bugs in Hera which could cause the Action Editor, Initial Editor, and Briefing Editor to forget currently entered values when the Add button was clicked (the duplicated data would be correct, but the original data would fail to be updated)

- changed Ares to allow a song of resource ID 4001 in an external scenario file to be played on startup, overriding the default Ares' Theme

- fixed a bug in Ares which could cause it to crash, or exhibit strange behavior, if a level was loaded with no legal song id

- changed text of -2021 message in Ares

- changed Ares to allow for health values to exceed an object's max

------------------

As long as you're alive I've got another bug to report. Sometimes when I try making new objects Hera will spaz out at erase all the objects in the entire data file. Like as in everying, as in have to start over, as in big nasty bug. If some else did report this and you fixed it long ago I'm sorry but I've been away for a while.

I'd offer to help you out but the most Res-edit experience I've got is making a plugin from scratch for EVO.

------------------
Dr. Tall says: Taller is Better

I just met that bug, and I'll rid the world of it if it's the last thing I do!

(it killed my big super-duper plug thet was near completion, so now I'm redoing it, one level per day. It will have 12 levels, so expect it in about 12 days)

Also, Admiral, it would be cool if you would stay on the boards. Check them and post once a day. The boards could use some undying, an I think having the creator of Ares posting regularly would help a lot...
------------------
"I can ail what cures you."

(This message has been edited by Mag Steelglass (edited 08-18-2000).)

Originally posted by Pallas Athene:
**Could you possibly post a simple list as to the major bugs fixed in b6? I would like to know if the "cannot load a sound/sprite" thing's fixed.

Sorry, but I can't do programming or anything. (But I'm keeping the M2 source on my HD as an incentive to learn)

Actually, the next version of Hera Beta will be b7 or more, as I worked with Nathan Lamont and (edited out).

just saying...

------------------
I do not suffer from insanity
I enjoy every minute of it

-Cantharan Admiral za'Grom
After the capture of Earth

(This message has been edited by Slug (edited 08-23-2000).)

Your so louky

------------------
Ťcoming soon Ares Webboard for Hot lineť
(if this Sarilian Carriers a-rocken dont come a-knoking)
(1-2-3-the devels after me-4-5-6-hes always throwing sticks-7-8-9-he misses every time)
(Devels Shack)
E |/| I || E |/

Hey Slug, check the email you got from Nathan. Hera b6 dosen't exist.

------------------
Throughout their history these "unenlightened" beings have continually opposed and fought abuses of power wrought by their own bretheren. We, as the prophets would do well to learn from these Humans.
-Final statement of the Salrilian reformist Sirthis shortly before his execution.

Slug where u lying to use?

------------------
(1-2-3-the devels after me-4-5-6-hes always throwing sticks-7-8-9-he misses every time)
(Devels Shack)
E |/| I || E |/

Yes he was.

punches Slug and tells him to suspend this conversation and expect an email from me.

------------------
Throughout their history these "unenlightened" beings have continually opposed and fought abuses of power wrought by their own bretheren. We, as the prophets would do well to learn from these Humans.
-Final statement of the Salrilian reformist Sirthis shortly before his execution.

EMINEM is mad that u guys are fighting

------------------
(Devels Shack)
E |/| I || E |/

** Toothpaste grabs a bag of popcorn and watches the ensuing Slugfest (hehe) **

------------------
Spacebar: the big key below all the little keys.

Slug, battered and bruised, edits out the offending part of the conversation

------------------
I do not suffer from insanity
I enjoy every minute of it

-Cantharan Commodore za'Grom
After the capture of Earth

Stands aloof.

as long as you guys are done fighting...
anyways hera doesn't like me. all it does is say "error -192" when i try to open it. HELP ME I wanna make some scenerios, and, well, I'm not that good with ResEdit

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I just had to add a few things:

SpaceMarine: it sounds like you're not using a PowerMac, as indicated by the type -192 error (happens with all PPC-only programs on 68k macs). Hera requires a Powermac (I wish it worked on a 68k mac, but it doesn't. Oh well.)

Also, I'm not sure whether this has been mentioned before, and I sent an email to the bug report address, but I just wanted to see if I was the only one who had this problem:
When running Ares 1.2.0b6, almost every time I play the game, it leaves strange graphical artifacts on the screen, especially when something blows up. Usually, the program will either freeze or quit with a type 1 error shortly after that. Seriously limits progress in the game...

If anyone else has had this problem, or even better, has a way around it (short of getting a new computer), please tell me.

------------------
Knucklehead, Aeon Productions

=======================

"Where am I? I'm in Purgatory!"
"Worse. You're in Windows"