Bug or blunder?

hi,
I downloaded the semi-public beta and started messing around, here is a problem I seem to have encountered. I was using the html reference document in the Hera's document's folder and tried to do the basic cut/paste first step. When I dragged/dropped this file onto the Ares application it caused my computer to crashed. I restarted and tried again, another crash. So this time I moved the file called "Ares Scenarios" from the ares data folder, renmaed the file I'd created to "ares Scenarios" and put that in the data folder. This time the game loaded but I got an error message saying "can't find race data" (or something to that effect). So I created a new scenario and this time I chose to create from "factory" data. I did not touch it in any way and did not alter it in any way and tried to launch it by first dragging and dropping and then by renaming it as Ares Scenarios. Each time the computer crashed or I got the error. When it did load (after the error message), I clicked on start new game, I was taken to the mission selection screen, which displayed the last mission that I had played (YO Ho Ho - Chapter 13), but I was unable to select it as the"next chapter", "previous chapter" and "begin" keys where blacked out, I could only cancel and exit the application.
Assuming I have been doing something wrong as a final attempt I tried to run the Tutorial 1 and Tutorial 2 files that are in the "Completed Tutorials''" folder with the same results.
Leading from this I can only guess that for some reason the Ares application is having a problem reading the Hera created file.
Note - I tried using both the new Beta release and the original Ares 1.1.1 that I had on my computer.

I have a G3 - powerbook, 233Mhz with 32 Meg in built RAM
and I usually operate with another 100+ meg Virtual memory.
Any ideas on how I can fix this problem? (I've already tried increasing the memory to Ares. )

------------------
Just because I spend a
lot of time thinking
doesn't mean that I'm
intelligent.

The preferences got messed up so to fix Ares you'll have to delete them.

------------------

1. Reporting your bugs here is not a good way to bring them to my attention. If you believe you have found a bug, please email it to:
aresbugs@ambrosiasw.com

Please be as specific as possible. Describe the steps you took to encounter the bug. Try to repeat those steps. Don't assume the reader will know what you are talking about.

Don't be shy; we'd rather see the same bug reported a thousand times than not at all.

2. Do NOT mess around with the data in the Ares Data folder. It will never solve a problem. It will only create problems. I suggest you delete your preferences and start over with a fresh download of 1.2B5.

3. Do NOT try to use Hera files in conjunction with previous version of Ares.

Hey remnat, just to let you know.. I also have a g3 powerbook and I am having the same exact problems. I tried pretty much all the steps you did except messing with the data folder. Still, no matter how I start ares with a hera file it crashes??

If you figure anything out post it, I haven't got a clue as how to fix it.

Delete your preferences, should fix everything! It really is that simple(I hope) simmilar things happened to me and it worked.

------------------

:rolleyes:

I have a blue and white g3 and had the same problem deleted the preferences and it repedetivly crashed because of ares error -2021

------------------

I have never gotten Ares to accept Hera files either; it always gives me an error type -2021, and says, "Please contact Ambrosia Sowftware for an update" or something to that effect. I tried deleting the prefs etc, but no joy. Anyone have a solution?

-Machiavelli

------------------

Solution:

Send a report to aresbugs@AmbrosiaSW.com. The sooner they know, the sooner they fix! Therefore, the sooner it works! Get it?!

-Andiyar

PS: Try to find out what an error -2021 actually is. Is it a system error, a RAM error, a bus error...... You get the point.

------------------
Q. What would you do differently if you knew exactly when you would die?
A. “I would probably spend a lot less time online.” — Raymond Camden

True, no?

Originally posted by Tarnćlion Andiyarus:
**PS: Try to find out what an error -2021 actually is. Is it a system error, a RAM error.....

I think I know this one, although I'm not quite sure if it's -2021. But if it is, than it is sort of both a system and RAM error. The program has the system doing strange things with memory, some of which the OS can't handle. I had this once, and got a MacsBug StdLog, but I think I may have trashed it.

------------------
Throughout their history these "unenlightened" beings have continually opposed and fought abuses of power wrought by their own bretheren. We, as the prophets would do well to learn from these Humans.
-Final statement of the Salrilian reformist Sirthis shortly before his execution.

That error is somehow related to QuickTime. Or that's the impression I got when I looked it up in the table of errors of Extension Overload 5.0.

(Yeah, I'm wondering why they'd put a table of errors in an extension manager too).

------------------
"I like ice cream without chunky bits in it... they get stuck in my tubes." — Bungie's Soul

Hey, don't they use quicktime to run all the movies in Ares? I'd be surprised if they didn't

------------------
The stiller you stay,
the faster things move past you

As far as MacsBug knows, error -2021 is "wfFileNotFound"

Does that answer anyone's questions? I don't have these problems.

------------------