RPG Reference Thread

So far, we have been following Charlie company of the 515th regiment of the 76th Space-Mobile infantry. Charlie company consists of 125 marines broken up into four combat platoons and one demolitons/heavy weapons platoon. From this pool, Captain Roberts, CO of Charlie company chooses squads to form chalks, which are divided up by the ATRs which they are inserted from.

Marines carry a wide variety of weapons. Some use kinlaser rifles, some use pulse rifles, which fire caseless armor piercing or anti-personell rounds in magazines of sixty. There are also machineguns, which fire larger rounds in linked chains of several thousand. These are gatling guns that are electrically powered, and have variable speed up to 4000 rounds per minute. The kinlasers are powered off of their suits, which are powered by special batteries that are around the size of a coke can, and can power the suits for fourty-eight hours at maximum drain.

The suits contain computers that monitor the soldier's health, as well as that of his team mates. They form a battlenet whenever they are in theater. Suits automatically relay messages so that it is extremely difficult to get out of range. The suits automatically update command on the location, health, and weapons loadout of each marine, as well as allowing command to view or rewind and review camera footage from each and every marine. Thus, every single suit saves a log of the entire squad's video and audio transmissions, regardless of who they were sent to, so that any one surviving suit has the entire battlenet's data onboard.

The suits contain sensors for most of the radio spectrum, so that marines can set their HUD to act as light enhancement or sensors for infrared, ultraviolet and much of the radio spectrum. The suits have external microphones which are computer controlled to amplify quiet noises and dampen loud ones such as flashbangs or radio interference. The marine's faceplates display their HUD information, and can reactively change their clarity to block out bright lights. The suits are heavy, and augment the marine's strength by having powered joints and movement. They also help marines when they get hit. They automatically constrict around bleeding wounds, administer painkillers and blood plasma. They will lock up and act as a splint for a broken bone, and the inside of the suit is coated with a thin layer of nanomachines, that can create temporary skin grafts over burns and minor wounds. More importantly, they can usually reseal themselves around a bullet hole or laser hole to prevent excess loss of pressure during vacuum enabled combat.

The marines, or "The 76th Space-Mobile Infantry" are the most highly trained and highly specialized corps in the history of the UNS. More speciallized than any other Space-Mobile divison. They are an entirely volunteer service, and each and every marine has undergone intense physical and mental training and conditioning to enter the service. They're training includes but is not limited to zero-g manouevering and combat, close quarters combat, computer manipulation, medic/first aid, demolitions, electronic and mechanical systems repair, spaceframe design and construction, as well as alien language and alien computer systems(particularly Cantharaan, Gaitori and Ishiman, very few are trained in Salrillian... yet). The marines are cross-trained in the responsibilities of every member of their squad and they are ready to assume most any combat role if the need arises. More importantly, marines of the 515th regiment have a rather extensive set of neural laces that allow them to control their suits effectively and at the speed of their thought. The 515th Regiment is the most thoroughly trained and most combat-effective regiment that the UNS Space-Navy has every produced. They have the best technology and the best weaponry, and they are trained to use it however and wherever it is needed to accomplish their mission.

------------------
NEW NAME FOR THE DREADNOUGHT
The Hard-Boiled Egg
Why?
Because she cant be beaten!

Right, well, I won't say I know anyone until A. More Chars are introduced and/or: B. Somebody Asks/takes a role that would know my character. Remember, I am an EVAT Engineer and designer, and a Squadron Commander. So it could be an co-worker/assistant, ssubordinate/superior officer, etc etc. You get the idea.

Well, here's Scenario One for Me:

It's a dark day inside the EVAT labs, and the engineers are busy reprogmramming the EVAT's. A fatal flaw has been found, where the air supply battery fails after 10 Hours of use. The engineers hear some footsteps (Your cue 9024!), but dismiss it as somebody walking around with parts or something.
(Later)
The new reprogrammed Evat's replace the old one. As they are put into place, somebody notices one of the old EVAT's are missing......

Oh, and 9024: The shots from the laser rifle dissipate after a while. I forget if I mentioned that or not, but they get slightly stronger form the light bouncing each time it hits a wall, until the energy cannot be contained and it dissipates harmlessly.

And I also have some flash grenades. Kinda useless for combat, but handy in other situations. And my char has a little Hand-To-Hand combat experience, b ut not much. I basically rely on armor.

Since I'm designing the EVAT's, I'll give you guys the specs for them so you know what you're dealing with.

EVAT 628A-Beta Prototype (Version That 9024 Stole)

Can stay on for 20 hours at a time.
Two (2) High speed CryoLaser turrets.
Basically a a cross between a kinlaser and a machine gun. Nothing fancy.
One Jet Thruster for Directional control in null gravity and flight in normal gravity.
One Detronatable Scout Drone.
Small drone with camera that relays signals back to the EVAT. Used for scouting out dangerous areas and terrain that the EVAT cannot handle. Converts into a small missile that can be detonated at any time.
28 Hours Oxygen supply.
and the aforesaid fatal flaw.

EVAT 628A Final Prototype (version that you guys willbe armed with when the fighting starts)
One Heavy Cryolaser Turret
One Detonatable Scout Drone
One Jet Thruster
35 Hours Oxygen Supply
5 Flash Grenades
One Kinlaser Sniper Rifle
One ChemFlex B-450 Close-Quarters Light Hand Laser

And Finally, the

EVAT 628B Heavy Battle Variant
everything the 628A has plus 6 Proximity mines and 2 Submunition Grendes (When it explodes, leaves 5 small "pellets" that explode after 5 seconds.)

------------------

"If history is to be changed, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh."

I think EVAT is supposed to stand for Extra-Vehicular Assault Trooper, which would be pretty synonymous with a space marine, which makes me wonder how they'd be programmed and curious as to what you think they are.

As far as background stuff for me (this is all subject to everybody else's approval):

UNS Pegasus:

The UNS Pegasus is the result of an experimental UNS program to develop elite assault transports. After seeing how well the Ishiman heavy cruisers worked, they decided to mimick the idea, but for a noncombat ship class. Heavy ATRs are essentially heavily modified gunships. Five of them were constructed, each as expensive as a UNS Carrier. They turned out to be dissapointing. The project was scrapped, as it was far more efficient to build their costs' worth in normal ATRs. Only two heavy ATRs remain, as the other three have been destroyed.

Heavy ATRs:

Weaponry: two fusion pulse reactors (stolen technology (from the Ishiman)), two heavy shell gun turrets, a concussion missile bay + 150 concussion missiles.
Armoring: The shielding and armoring were both dropped drastically from gunships. Heavy ATRs have about half of the shielding and armoring they had when they were gunships. They also had their superlight boosters removed to free up more space.
Marine Assault Type Things: The five crew members have all been trained in combat and are equipped with shotguns that fire explosive slugs. The heavy ATR also has ten nimble combat drones that each have two pulse rifles, as well as a grenade launcher and two grenades. The ships carry two tanks that have large rams on the front, to be combined with their grenade launchers (with enough ammo for approximately five hours' worth of on-and-off fighting) to smash their way to any part of a station. The tanks also have a few mines and six low-power missiles. Heavy ATRs can carry up to ____ (to be filled in later) marines and have many cable launchers to perform fast pickups.

Mag Steelglass:

Mag is the pilot for the UNS Pegasus. He has been trained in ATR piloting, ship-to-ship combat, person-to-person combat, and marine operation tactics, although his training wasn't very thorough in any category, as that would be a lot of resources to use to train one person. He uses his shotgun, as well as two special swords he found while the Pegasus was investigating a derelict ship that has been assumed to have belonged to smugglers of illegal technology. The swords are the size and shape of short swords, and use shield generation technology to create an incredibly sharp edge, capable of tearing through steel quite effectively. Mag mostly uses them for melee combat, although he's gotten very good at throwing them and using them to move about more nimbly.

I'd also like to ask for a more thorough description of a kinlaser, as I'm not really sure what they are. Thanks.

------------------
"Cleanliness is evil. Embrace the mess!"

A kinlaser is the intermediate step between a laser and a pk beam. It's on the gaitori fighter, if I remeber right.

Me: Dr. Vishak Darkk, currently the only scientist on the ISN 9774598 science vessle (budget cuts :p).

I'm an Ishiman client race, known as the Irthantans, a race of feline humanoids that had been saved by the Ishimans from Gaitori domination a long time ago. The planet is semi-independant, as Irthanta dislike taking orders from snackballs (their name for all non-carnivorous species). They also have a mandatory military training program, and all adults put in 2 years in the armed forces. Darkk had served his long ago, but his insticts for the hunt still seemed sharp to him.

Irthantans enjoy danger (they are the anti-Ishimans), so Darkk tries to get out of the lab. Predictably, he gets into some sort of violent situation. Fortunatly, his species gives him great hearing, smell, vision (although this isn't really that much better than a normal human civilian's), as well as strength and flexability. He doesn't have much in the way of equipment, but carries a constant-beam laser. Due to the fact that he is not, technically, an EVAT, he cannot get a heavily-armored suit, and has to get by by not getting shot.

------------------
"In literature as in love we are astounded by what is chosen by others." Andre Maurois

Pallas Athene has me interested in this RPG, and I've decided to have a go at it.

A little about myself:

My name is Casper Meleks. I am the Squad Leader of the 2nd Squad in the Heavy platoon of the 515th.

I am a human that was born mute, but due to the neural interface of the EVAT suits, I can still communicate with other marines. I am light-hearted when it comes to sitting around the refectory and talking with the other marines, but I become very strict when it comes to combat.

During combat, I sometimes get carried away with the heat of battle, and because I was mute for most of the years that are normally spent developing social skills, I become a little savage. My suit has sedatives that will inject into my bloodstream when it senses my adrenaline gets too high. This can cause me to sometimes have blackouts in the wane of battle.

I am highly skilled in support fire and can hold positions alone if necesarry. My usefullness in combat is invaluable. I would be Platoon Officer but my blackouts keep me from obtaining that position.

The 2nd Squad of Heavy Platoon of Charlie of the 515th are based around demolition, we clear out our allotted sectors and create easily accesible entryways for other marines.

My squad is made up of 4 other "eccentric" marines.
-My 2nd in command, Decker, whom I need to control the squad for when I blackout, is very excitable and jumps at nearly anything. But his suit stops him from doing that and changes that impulse to jump and be frightened into the quick press of the trigger.
-Lords, likes to constantly move and is usually the scout of the squad.
-Teronne, is overenthusiastic about seeing giblets flying and is usually at the front of a firefight.
-Shin, trained in the ways of ancient martial arts. His senses are slightly heightened due to his sometimes zen-like state (which only matters if the suits are off). He acts mostly as the rear guard.

My suit's custom equipment:
-Ammo pack: A pack attached to the back of the suit that holds shells, fuel, oxygen, and grenades.
-Grenade Launcher x2: Grenade launchers attached to the inner wrists. The grenades are tube-fed from the pack.
-Incinerator x2: Flamethrowers attached to the outer wrists. The fuel and the oxygen are tube-fed from the pack.
-Gatling Cannon: A waist mounted gatling gun. Ammo is fed from barrel-dispensers in ammo pack.
-Compartments x6: Six box-like compartments (calves, thighs, waist) that hold 5 pound blocks of comp-d explosives each.

I believe my specs are decently fair and I hope to enjoy role-playing with all of you.

------------------
Beware My Big Stick

I'd say that that sounds fair, but remember, the suits have lots of space for ammunition anyway. I'd also just like to point out that if you're on the heavy weapons platoon, most of the time you'd be wearing heavy suits, and so you'd have a LOT more power even than what you specified.

------------------
The Hard-Boiled Egg
Why?

My character, Nidok, is a Mercenary fighter hired by the UNS (Possibly for expertise or for tech, I dunno - he doesn't either). He is about the size of a human, but his upper body is wider at the shoulders, and skinnier around the waist. He would be the epitomy of tech. He has a bio-mecahnical exo-skeleton, somewhat like the army is developing today, but much more advanced.

He has a personal cloaking device that decloaks on fire, or on contact with another object (excluding the floor, of course). He has a personal shielding unit, which offers his main protection. He also has a suit of minimal armor which stretches out from the frame of his exoskeleton, it is a highly reinforced polymer that provides environmental control and some protection. It also allows him to more fully utilize his exoskeleton, his bare hand would not have the strength to smash steel, but with his armor and the full force of his exoskeleton, he can.

He has a laser rifle, with a plasma grenade launcher mounted beneath the barrel. He has 5 plasma grenades on his belt, and refills on board his modified fighter that he uses to get to his different assignments.

On his right forearm he has a multi-functional display which has scanning equipment within it, and serves as whatever type of device ot is programmed to be. It uses holographic projections and forcefields to display information and to interface.

He is, however, one man - there is no army of him, and he can be overwhelmed by numbers if he isn't careful. He's kind of a loner, willing to take orders, but he also enjoys working alone, doing recon while cloaked and what not. He is a culmination of Sci-fi ideas I have had for the last year or so, and incorporates many of my better ones. Sorry if he seems invincible, I can toss in plenty of extras to die, and without his shield (someone say EMP) he loses much of his strength. Hopefully he will add to the story.

------------------
"You will find that your device is highly non-functional...." - Bad Guy

I was just wondering.. is there room for my old RPG? (My new old one, not my old old one,) for those of us who like space-ship combat?

I suppose it will be less popular, since I know alot of people instantly ignore any of my RPG's... grumble

------------------
There are only 3 kinds of people: those who can count, and those who can't.

In a word - Yes.

------------------
"That was quick."
"Well you know, when you don't do it right it doesn't take as long."

Originally posted by Shrout1:
his bare hand would not have the strength to smash steel, **but with his armor and the full force of his exoskeleton, he can.

too bad they use much stronger and tougher metles in the ares universe. 😉

I havent thought of a name yet, so ile just call him 9024.
any way 9024 is a self trained free lance saboture/marine. hes currently hired by a groop of free traders (traders that trade with all the races even if the laws say thay can't), that are planning on steeling a proto-type of a new EVAT sute to sell to the gatori so they can reverse enginerit and make there own versions.

his equipment is scavenged from captured ships and tends to be unreliable and damaged. the only thing thats in perfect working order apart from his pulse carbine is a medical instrument modifyed so insted of injecting liquids into the oponents body it injects monofliament wire, as a result of the injection the persons insides are quickly turned to mush by the wire killing him/her instantly without any external marks that are visable to the naked eye. The only problems with this weapion are its only got one charge and the wire because of its nature cant be reeled back into the weapion also it has to be used in close combat. the gun is straped to his right forearm. The canister is held on his belt in case of acsidental injection wile not in intentional use.

The pulse carbine is a plasma baced wep fireing bolts of plasma contained by micro magnets, even though it is unacruit the gun can fire hundreds of these bolts a minuet produsing a spray efect very dedly in back allys and corrordors. To add to its versatility and power it has an manule loading grenade launcher. The two types of grenade 9024 usualy carrys: Photon flash grenades (flashys for short), these create a flash of blinding white lasting for a preset time. The second type of grenade is fragmentation these are disc like things covered with titanium spikes that on detonation fly out in all directions slicing through armour and lims, because of the spikes these cant be thrown by an un armoured hand even if you did you couldent throw it far enough to escape the blast unharmed.

Those are 9024s main weps he also has others like a railgun but he allways has these specific weapions at hand. His other equipment include:

A flack jacket made of scavanged metal, this provides good protection agenst burns and blasts but a direct hit has a small chance of being stoped. he also has flack trousers and light lether boots.

A scavenged HUD and computer, its built in to a lightly armoured helmet, the only problem is some of its functions are dameged like its map syistem that flickers and some times dosent work at all. it is very easaly damaged after being "sergicaly removed" out of a EVATs helmet.

a computer linked nurialy to the HUD held in a pouch at his side, this almost makes up for the damaged syistems. linked to this is also a clasical dobble edged sword straped acros his back. the weapion has a capasitances syistem in it so when the sword hits the first time the capacitors start to charge up (abit like the bombast laser in MW4) the next time it hits it relises the electrical charge shocking the oponent and shorting out syistems. (rather dangourous agenst Heavy EVATs as thay use electrical moters to complement there stregnth wile moving)

He also owns a light EVAT sute but is not trained in low gravity fighting, also the pulse carbines hud link can not be incorperated in to it.

9024 is a highly skilled sniper and can use the sword relitivly well but is no fencing expert.
Theres my guy if you think any thing should be chainged or is too powerfull then pleese tell me. (also if any of you can think of a sutable name ile use it insted of 9024).

its hard to start typing but after i start i get carryed away. (sort of runs down by the time you get to the sword bit though).

-------------------
"Time is only a guide
line"

(This message has been edited by 9024 (edited 05-03-2002).)

Just so you know, I meant the suits that the EVAT's WEAR. and I have a second-in-command, who should be introducing himself right about now.

------------------

"If history is to be changed, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh."

A little about myself:

My name is Rear Admiral Jager. I am the 2IC Of The 10th Elite EVAT Squadrons. I've been working with for 5 years and I was given the position after he requested me.

I've been a marine for my entire life.

Jager is quite a large man. Seeing him for the first time most would think that he was 20 years old. But in actula fact he is 40. Jager has a large physical buld also.

He has been in his fair share of scraches and knows what to do when the going gets hard.

2IC Of The 10th Elite EVAT Squadrons (Dans one :p)

My suit's custom equipment:
-Ammo pack: A pack attached to the back of the suit that holds shells, fuel, oxygen, and grenades.
-Incinerator x2: Flamethrowers attached to the outer wrists. The fuel and the oxygen are tube-fed from the pack.
-Incindiary Grenades (20)
-ChemFlex C-300 Ballistic Laser Rifle
- Bretta Pistol. Refitted to be a 7MM laser pistol
-Compartments x6: Six box-like compartments (calves, thighs, waist)
-Welding Laser
---
Anything else and where does the story post?

------------------
Flame wars are wrong. So why are they so much fun?!?
(url="http://"http://saberstudios.evula.net")Saber Studios(/url) | (url="http://"http://saberstudios.evula.net/hsgr.html")The Homeschoolers of GR (/url) | (url="http://"http://evula.com") EVula's Lair(/url) | (url="http://"http://home.attbi.com/~e-gamerguy1/bfs3/index.html") BSIII Home Page (/url)|(url="http://"http://evforums.n3.net/")Unofficial Escape Velocity Forums(/url) (url="http://"mailto:Stuartjager@yahoo.com")mailto:Stuartjager@yahoo.com(/url)Stuartjager@yahoo.com

read "Chapter 1: Simlabs 4 Sale, Cheep" and "Chapter 2: Release the Hostages Ore Else..."

Those are the story posts

Glad to have you aboard. If I were you, I'd mess around with my character after reading to see if you can make him fit in any better.

Oh yeah, I posted all the techie stuff, but nothing on my character:

Captain Roberts, CO, Charlie Company, 515th Regiment, 76th Space-Mobile (AKA Cap'n Bob) is a career soldier. He signed up for the army before he was drafted and volunteered for vacuum training so that he could become an EVAT in the 192nd Space-Mobile. He distinguished himself in many engagements against Cantharaan stations and ships, and after applying twice, he was selected for special training to join the elite 515th regiment of the newly formed 76th Space-Mobile. He then went through extensive training and neurological profiling and conditioning to make sure he was the right candidate for the neural lace suit and data control system. Like every marine in the 515th, Bob has an extensive network of neural implants in his brain, which allow him to control his suit at the speed of his own thoughts. Unlike older powered EVAT suits, which used force-feedback and sensors on the marine's body to monitor motion, Marines in the 515th Regiment move as fast as they can think.

The evolution of this technology has allowed the suits themselves to become smaller and much less clunky. A marine wearing a powered bodysuit can now move easily and smoothly through tight spaces without stumbling or accidentally bumping into things, as was the problem in earlier suit control models. This greater coordination allows the marines better combat effectiveness, as they can fight using their powered armor where other EVATs would be forced to use nonpowered armor due to space and agility constraints. Moreover, the neural laces allow the marines to control almost all of the suits functions through their thoughts. Thus, without bothering to pause and adjust controls, marines can activate visual enhancers, select comm channels, call up information to their HUDs, all using their minds.

Needless to say, the psychological and neurological conditioning required to use all of these functions is long, painstaking, and potentially dangerous, (see Kabasha's post) which is why the 515th consists entirely of volunteers, however, the advantages that this technology gives them is clear, and makes them one of the most revered combat regiments in the Space Navy. They are volunteers selected from the finest of the Space-Mobile. They chose to join the toughest outfit because they wanted the challenge, they wanted the excitement, and because they wanted to be the best.

------------------
The Hard-Boiled Egg
Why?

it will get changed as I go. i have hit a sort of wrighters block 😛

------------------
Flame wars are wrong. So why are they so much fun?!?
(url="http://"http://saberstudios.evula.net")Saber Studios(/url) | (url="http://"http://saberstudios.evula.net/hsgr.html")The Homeschoolers of GR (/url) | (url="http://"http://evula.com") EVula's Lair(/url) | (url="http://"http://home.attbi.com/~e-gamerguy1/bfs3/index.html") BSIII Home Page (/url)|(url="http://"http://evforums.n3.net/")Unofficial Escape Velocity Forums(/url) (url="http://"mailto:Stuartjager@yahoo.com")mailto:Stuartjager@yahoo.com(/url)Stuartjager@yahoo.com

Mobile Ops is a platoon specifically equipped to set up defensive fortifications when insufficient defenses exist. 5 men carry power cores, which are designed to provide shielding and the energy required to run 4 turrets. All have blowtorches to remove metal where not needed, and to replace it where deemed to be more useful.

Lieutenant Thomas Faolain (pron. FEE-len) is the PO of the Mobile Ops. He is known for his strong Irish brogue and a bothersome assumption that everyone knows what he's talking about. Fortunately, Mobile Ops is somewhat used to this - and tends to know anyway after some time under his command.

He is also known fir his liking of any correctly distilled alcoholic beverage, but especially ale. A common joke in Mobile Ops is to refer to his oxygen intake as a "straw," and the tanks themselves as "tankards."

Generally, Mobile Ops EVATs are armed with blowtorches in their right hands, and an underslung PK on the left. On their backs, they carry fuel and oxygen for torching in vacuum conditions, as well as the defense component assigned to them.

Mobile Ops training emphasizes accuracy with ranged combat less than other platoons, but emphasizes speed of emplacement deployment and the blowtorch. All Mobile Ops personell are trained in the use of the blowtorch as a melee weapon, and hence are more effective in tight corridors than open spaces. Mobile Ops is not for the claustrophobic.

------------------
"Welcome to our Pirate outpost. Please enjoy your stay, and realize that any irregular actions can and will be used against you in the afterlife."

(This message has been edited by Pallas Athene (edited 05-05-2002).)