Vitality

How high is good?

I have a level 20 Conjurer who has had a vitality of 28 for a while, and I thought that was decent. But then I found a post on this board with people talking about 50 or 100 luck, and I thought to myself, "If that's their luck, their vitiality must be at least that!"...

So, how high would be good for my vitality to be at this point? I'd like to know what experienced players would have.

Thanks.

I've been trying to find the analysis I did a while back concerning general game strategy for all the stats, but it must be buried in some thread I don't now recognize. I did come across one thread you might find interesting. The link is here.

I think vitality is more important than luck. The higher your vitality, the greater your stamina will be with each level-up. Increased stamina means it's harder for an enemy to kill you. Rasing vitality early in the game gives you an added cushion to absorb enemy's blows. Level-ups get farther apart the higher you go, so it's wise to get an early start for this important stat.

I'll keep looking because it's worth reprinting, but where I am it's almost 3 a.m. and my eyes are going bleary at this point.

catch you later. ~RD

Okay, I found it. Rather than link, I'll just copy the section which applies here.

Strength is only one of the stats to be considered. Vitality is very important early because it increases your health points on each level-up and you want that to happen when level-ups are still frequent. Luck is also important because it means you have a better chance of getting more and better things dropped when a creature falls. Don't overlook dexterity, it allows you to score more acurate hits. Marksmanship (or Perception) is only important if you use ranged weapons (Bows.)
Strategy is the answer to all of this. The following is how I would proceed with a new game now:
From the start, buy the best equipment you can find as soon as you are able. You can, BTW, usually collect about 200 gold pieces before you have met your first goblin.
Level 0 - 12. Survive. As soon as you have access to Gwyden Camp (or later Fungus' Getaway,) sell all unwanted items there where the price is higher, and buy all neccessities in major towns where the cost is less.
Level 13 - 14. Do all you can to improve your health like taking a training course with Sandy at the Pink Termite Resort. Awaken the Spirit of Nature. Start selling off low yield health items such as apples and cheese, and purchase higher yield items like Healing Concoctions and Potions. Use the selling-buying guide outlined above.
Level 15 -18. Get access to Witch Finger as soon as possible. Initial purchase goals: Vit. 50%, Str. 10%, Dex. 10%, Luck 10%, Perc. 10% if needed, remainder where you wish.
Level 19 - 22. Spread purchase money evenly. 20% for each stat or 25% each if you don't use bows.
Level 23 - 27. Bring vitality, dexterity, and luck gradually up to about 100 - 150 while all else goes to strength.
Once you get your strength to about 675 it only takes three blows to kill a Sea Giant. At that point it becomes a lot easier because you don't need to purchase much more healing, the creatures will drop more than you need if you use the tent well. And you should have all the armor and weapons required by now. By going to the east gate of Gidolan Keep, you can fell as many Sea Giants as you dare and run north when your health gets low. There you can set up the tent without having to clear hostiles first because there aren't any in that square. I once collected seven Rings of Gods in about twenty-five minutes. If sold in the right place, these bring 30,000 gold each. That buys a lot of elixirs from Kalixa. ~RD

I wrote that in Oct., 2003 and would still do it very much the same way. With my present characters, however, I don't get my strength much over 500 because otherwise the game becomes boring. Gotta give those monsters a little bit of a chance now, don't we? 😄

Thank You! That helps a lot.